Curtis Blaydes Reveals Whether Ngannou Or Lewis Hits Harder

UFCIsNOTRigged

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

10:58 - 11:10

Interviewer: Since you fought both guys I have to ask, who hits harder Derrick Lewis or Francis Ngannou?

Curtis Blaydes: Well Derrick, obviously I've never been put to sleep and he put me to sleep.

Blaydes is the only fighter that has lost to both Ngannou & Lewis so his answer is interesting.

This is threadworthy?

He moved into Lewis's punch, multiplying the impact. Not the case with Ngannou.

Yes, the only fighter qualified giving his opinion on the hardest hitting HW, is definitely thread-worthy.

Ngannou hit Blaydes clean several times during their first fight and the fight was stopped in between rounds by a doctor due to Blaydes eye being swollen shut. During their second fight Ngannou hit Blaydes clean several times and was able to knock him down several times but the fight was stopped with Blaydes on his knees; so two TKOs.

You contrast that with Derrick Lewis who put Curtis out cold to the point he woke up in an ambulance.

I am sorry you might not like the answer he gave but it is certainly thread-worthy and interesting to hear his informed perspective. Quite a few posters have speculated Lewis has more power than Ngannou and Blaydes has seemingly confirmed that.

Last edited:
I always feel sorry for Blaydes. Dude strikes me as a solid, hard working guy who isn't interested in the shenanigans. And he gets brutally finished for it. Just doesn't seem right but thats the sport.

He never got hit flush by Ngannou, nipped behind the ear and that was enough to end him. I think Lewis brings more mass behind his punches, but Ngannou throws with better technique to maximum power.

Who has the better finishers? Scorpion or Sub-Zero?

Does it actually matter if you're dead?

Implied within Blaydes answer was the fact Francis did not "dead" him, Lewis did, which is why he feels the way he does.

Francis hit him clean numerous times in both of their fights and never put him out, Lewis on the other hand did on the first strike that connected in the second round of their fight.

A lot of Ngannou opponents seem to be able to take a few of his shots clean. Stipe certainly did during their first fight and won.
One fighter TKOs guys the other knocks them out cold.

I always feel sorry for Blaydes. Dude strikes me as a solid, hard working guy who isn't interested in the shenanigans. And he gets brutally finished for it. Just doesn't seem right but thats the sport.

Stipe and Cormier are the reason he has not fought for a title yet. Realistically he probably is a win away from fighting for the title. He would be a difficult matchup for both Gane and Jones, especially Jones, and is probably on a pretty high contract now so he is getting paid regardless.

Stipe and Cormier are the reason he has not fought for a title yet. Realistically he probably is a win away from fighting for the title. He would be a difficult matchup for both Gane and Jones, especially Jones, and is probably on a pretty high contract now so he is getting paid regardless.

Yeah, I like Blaydes. It would be interesting to see if he could have success stylistically against Gane.

This reminds me that Blaydes’ poor fight IQ is the reason Lewis is ranked in the HW Top 5.

Inconvenient truth: stop asking fighters who got knocked out "who hits harder," because they are the LEAST valid person to ask as they were the only ones there who were unconscious (unless they're smart enough to compare the shots they took before going out, but they never are).

KO's are not only not a great measure of an opponent's power (other factors can be much more important: collision, precision, timing, etc..) but they also didn't really actively feel it, because they were removed from feeling

Yep. that's why Lewis whoooped ngannou's ass when they fought

Derrick-Lewis-peut-il-d%C3%A9truire-Francis-Ngannou-dans-un-combat-en-1024x563.jpg

derrick-lewis-francis-ngannou-ufc-226-6.jpg

He needs to use a car analogy. It's the only valid way to express their KO power. We need to know getting hit by what kind of car it feels like when he got hit by each of them

Back