Cursory Breakdown for McGregor vs Diaz II

twone21

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
First off lets get over the McGregor destroys everyone fanboyism and the Diaz Stockton Slap fanboyism.

I spent literally HOURS analyzing their first fight and made a very in-depth post about it.

McGregor did very well the first round of the fight. He landed insanely hard shots over and over on Diaz.
McGregor than gassed himself by putting everything into every shot and without his speed he became hittable and defenseless against a crafty and high volume boxer.
Unable to stop Diaz's onslaught, McGregor basically gave up and went for a TD where he got choked out soon after.

McGregor Cons / Diaz Pros:
5 round fight
Landed his best shot over and over and still couldn't hurt Diaz
Huge gap in ground game
Diaz actually has a training camp (ready to deal with McGregor's left hand coming over Diaz's lead hand etc.)

Diaz Cons / McGregor Pros:
Big speed disadvantage
Less diverse striking. Diaz's arsenal (jab, lead hook/slap, left cross)
McGregor probably has improved cardio for this fight
Diaz has no clear way to get this fight to the ground. He almost never shoots for doubles/singles (large majority of TD from clinch or reversals)

Rounds 1,2,3 should be close this time as Diaz will be better prepared (shorter feeling out period) and McGregor's output won't be as high (conserve energy).

Rounds 4,5 can potentially be a huge problem for McGregor. Diaz will keep up his pace for all 5 rounds and pressures the second he feels his oppenent start to tire. McGregor relies on his speed for both his defense and attack.

I'm not a fanboy of McGregor by any means but I acknowledge that he's a smart guy. He pinpointed his problems perfectly after his loss and you can bet that he has been working on them.

Knowing McGregor is a very attack oriented fighter, I expect him to not hope to achieve Diaz's level of cardio but to bring Diaz's cardio down to his level by attacking the body in the first few rounds.

Similarly, Diaz could try to work the body as well but I have a hard time seeing him land consistently. He is NOT his brother Nick and doesn't have the same style of pushing opponents to the cage and ripping to the body.

I don't have a pick on who wins this fight, but I'm leaning very very slightly towards McGregor even though I bet against him the first time.

I already know a majority of the comments will be along the lines of MCGREGOR CAUSE HE IS THE GOAT or WAR DIAZ, but I would greatly appreciate any interesting thoughts or comments regarding how this fight plays out!

EDIT: People really upset that I used the word "dominated". I use the word more liberally than most it seems. I'm not trying to imply it was a 10 8 round or that Nate didn't have any success.
Relax people. Just saying Conor "did very well" or "had alot of success". Replace "dominated" with one of those two phrases.

Last edited:
How terrible would be if Conor dominates the fight and loses because he gassed again.

Conor shouldn't be more conservative.

Nate will outpace and outland him if he fights conservatively. Nate's jab and reach will overwhelm that gameplan.

Conor's best bet is to get his cardio up to insanity and try to do what he did in the first round for the entire fight, and also work Nate's body.

Then maybe he can get a stoppage or a decision.

If Conor avoid Nate's jab the fight is done. Conor by KO in Round 2

Conor shouldn't be more conservative.

Nate will outpace and outland him if he fights conservatively. Nate's jab and reach will overwhelm that gameplan.

Conor's best bet is to get his cardio up to insanity and try to do what he did in the first round for the entire fight, and also work Nate's body.

Then maybe he can get a stoppage or a decision.
Getting his cardio up to the point that he can do what he did in the first is very unlikely. Getting cardio to that level would be insanely impressive but unlikely. Conservative for Conor is still aggressive. I'm not saying he should or will sit back but probably won't be throwing every punch like a knockout punch.

First off lets get over the McGregor destroys everyone fanboyism and the Diaz Stockton Slap fanboyism.

I spent literally HOURS analyzing their first fight and made a very in-depth post about it.

McGregor dominated the first round of the fight. He landed insanely hard shots over and over on Diaz.
McGregor than gassed himself by putting everything into every shot and without his speed he became hittable and defenseless against a crafty and high volume boxer.
Unable to stop Diaz's onslaught, McGregor basically gave up and went for a TD where he got choked out soon after.

5 round fight
Huge gap in ground game
Diaz actually has a training camp (ready to deal with McGregor's left hand coming over Diaz's lead hand etc.)

Big speed disadvantage
Diaz has no clear way to get this fight to the ground. He almost never shoots for doubles/singles (large majority of TD from clinch or reversals)

Rounds 1,2,3 should be close this time as Diaz will be better prepared (shorter feeling out period) and McGregor's output won't be as high (conserve energy).

Rounds 4,5 can potentially be a huge problem for McGregor. Diaz will keep up his pace for all 5 rounds and pressures the second he feels his oppenent start to tire. McGregor relies on his speed for both his defense and attack.

I'm not a fanboy of McGregor by any means but I acknowledge that he's a smart guy. He pinpointed his problems perfectly after his loss and you can bet that he has been working on them.

Knowing McGregor is a very attack oriented fighter, I expect him to not hope to achieve Diaz's level of cardio but to bring Diaz's cardio down to his level by attacking the body in the first few rounds.

Similarly, Diaz could try to work the body as well but I have a hard time seeing him land consistently. He is NOT his brother Nick and doesn't have the same style of pushing opponents to the cage and ripping to the body.

I don't have a pick on who wins this fight, but I'm leaning very very slightly towards McGregor even though I bet against him the first time.

I already know a majority of the comments will be along the lines of MCGREGOR CAUSE HE IS THE GOAT or WAR DIAZ, but I would greatly appreciate any interesting thoughts or comments regarding how this fight plays out!

Don't you think Conor was extending too far to reach Dias and thus losing power ? I don't believe those shots were that hard. Also, stop with the "dominate" talk. Conor WON the first round. Clearly. But that's it.

Getting his cardio up to the point that he can do what he did in the first is very unlikely. Getting cardio to that level would be insanely impressive but unlikely. Conservative for Conor is still aggressive. I'm not saying he should or will sit back but probably won't be throwing every punch like a knockout punch.

Then there's no way he can win. Diaz has the better boxing facets (better jab, combos, head movement, cardio, chin, reach). Conor won't have enough cardio to brawl, or good enough takedown defense to kickbox. If Conor kicks, he will likely get taken down where he doesn't need to be.

Don't you think Conor was extending too far to reach Dias and thus losing power ? I don't believe those shots were that hard. Also, stop with the "dominate" talk. Conor WON the first round. Clearly. But that's it.
Good point, but Conor often landed on Diaz while Diaz was moving forward. How hard those shots were can be subjective, but holy shit those looked pretty damn hard to me.

Then there's no way he can win. Diaz has the better boxing facets (better jab, combos, head movement, cardio, chin, reach). Conor won't have enough cardio to brawl, or good enough takedown defense to kickbox. If Conor kicks, he will likely get taken down where he doesn't need to be.
I disagree that Diaz had the better combos, and head movement. Conor had the better standup when he had the cardio to back it up. I can see him winning close rounds on the feet without having to burn his gas tank too much.

Good point, but Conor often landed on Diaz while Diaz was moving forward. How hard those shots were can be subjective, but holy shit those looked pretty damn hard to me.
Conor landed a few counters when Nate was coming in that was hard as hell. There was one particular shot that would have KO'd a lot of other fighters.

Here it is, at 1:22:

I disagree that Diaz had the better combos, and head movement. Conor had the better standup when he had the cardio to back it up. I can see him winning close rounds on the feet without having to burn his gas tank too much.

Good points.

Nate's head movement works specifically for Conor because of his height, and Nate is truly elite at rolling with punches. Also, even Firas said Nate has one of the very best one-twos in the game. That's a combo Conor doesn't use much, and it also proved to be highly effective against him. We shall see.

Its gonna play out the same as the last time, both of them will trade Conor will get hurt on the feet and go for the TD and get subbed or Nate will TKO him. Nate is just too big and strong for Conor that's the main problem here. With the camp and all I expect Nate to be real sharp with his punches and combos, Conor may have some early success but Nate will drown him in the later rounds

He was slowing big time before that big punch ever landed. so he did gas.
He was preparing for RDA and knew the fight could go to the ground where he would spend 2 much energy.there was nothing wrong with his preparations.he was not hit the first time in the second round,Nate did hit him also in the first round and sure it had slowed Conor.
Stop these excuses like he was gassed.it must be a shame for Conor fans if they admit that their hero gassed in 1 round only.
More terrible was ; he won after I could not hit anymore.

McGregor dominated the first round of the fight. He landed insanely hard shots over and over on Diaz.

5 round fight
Huge gap in ground game

Big speed disadvantage

You lost all credibility with that nonsensical nit-wittery, so why bother reading your ideas?

Back