Currently, what are the most popular MMA strikes?

Replay19

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Question just directly asks, what are the most effective and popular strikes in MMA currently?

We all know it's the muay thai rear roundhouse, and at some point, superman punch, rear leg teep kick, and just regular jab,cross,hook. What other moves are really popular and often used because of it's efficacy in MMA?

I see people sometimes striking with the lead tools, such as a front leg roundhouse, but it's more so as a jab/feeler and less of a power shot. Sometimes I see front leg teep kicks as well, but not commonly. Usually done by a orthodox's left leg.

Teeps are rare in MMA and depending on who you ask/your preferance underutilized both with the front and back leg. A jab and a straight are obviously the most used strike that's hardly revealing.
Front leg kicks are often a feeler because mostly very good MT kickers can do them efficiently they are technically harder. Barboza's front leg kicks are no feelers and neither are Cerrone's.
I don't think superman punches are that great and I believe there's a reason you rarely see them in kickboxing let alone MT.

Straight punches and leg kicks are the most used techniques and I would bet on it without ever having seen a statistic and they are just the most basic strikes and used to set up other stuff.

The most used strike will obviously be a jab and the most used power strike will be a rear straight and the most used leg technique will either be the lead leg kick or knee strikes against the cage if that counts as striking

and the most used leg technique will either be the lead leg kick or knee strikes against the cage if that counts as striking.

Lead leg kicks? Such as what? I haven't seen much lead leg kicks hardly any at all in UFC. You mean to tell me an orthodox fighter's strong kick is his left lead leg? I thought orthodox fighters keep their powerful tools in the rear side?

Lead leg kicks? Such as what? I haven't seen much lead leg kicks hardly any at all in UFC. You mean to tell me an orthodox fighter's strong kick is his left lead leg? I thought orthodox fighters keep their powerful tools in the rear side?

maybe it's more recently but I at least think of a lot about fighters doing slapping lead leg kicks. Most aren't comfortable enough with their striking and especially kicking to commit to full power rear leg kicks without getting countered (franklin vs Cung Lee for example) so they often do those slapping Carlos Condit style lead leg kicks. Maybe there are still more rear leg kciks thrown than lead ones but recently a lot of fighters do them

overhand right (or left if southpaw), superman punch, leg kicks

Please specify what type of leg kicks. Are they straight, rounded, or side thrusts?

Yeah I noticed a lot of people love doing the superman punch. A lot of MMA fighters love doing low roundhouse kicks to the back of the legs too right? they aim it at the calves

The jab is becoming more and more popular. Jon Jones and others have been utilizing the lateral oblique kicks a lot. Seems like Conor, Rory Mac, etc are leaning toward the quicker karate style snapping front kick to the body.

jab and cross is definitely most popular.

a weird popular strike is a hammerfist (ground and pound) lol

What about combinations guys? Like I see a lot of MMA guys (from an orthodox stance) doing jab cross rear roundhouse. That's a common combination, sometimes they'll launch off with just a rear cross and then fully pivot into the rear roundhouse kick. What do people usually do with their combinations and kicks?

The most used strike will obviously be a jab and the most used power strike will be a rear straight

Is a rear straight really more used than hooks? Maybe it is, but a lot of UFC fighters like to strike in a close range and prefer hooks.

Is a rear straight really more used than hooks? Maybe it is, but a lot of UFC fighters like to strike in a close range and prefer hooks.

well in UFC, you see a lot of ppl that headhunt with their cross (hendo, hendricks). many power punchers have that rear hand cocked and loaded xD i think i read somewhere in the forums it is also the most popular strike for KOs in ufc, might be outdated though.

For 99% of all fighters it's a good idea to use more straight punches (jabs for 100% of all fighters) and the striking isn't that bad anymore. I think overhands are popular. Hooks aren't that popular especially right hooks whcih are even rare in boxing because they are very short punches and not that simple technically.
Straight punches are also simpler mechaincally than hooks so even i n the early UFC it was eithe roverhands which are simiular to straight punches mechanically or straight punches. Vitor Belfort didn't knock Wnaderlei out with a serioes of hooks but with a serious of straights since it's much simpler to throw while moving forward
Right hooks are probably the rarest punches in all of combat sports, real right hooks and not overhands (beside maybe the left uppercut).

We are seeing a lot less loopy punches and much more straight technically prettier punches nowadays

For 99% of all fighters it's a good idea to use more straight punches (jabs for 100% of all fighters) and the striking isn't that bad anymore. I think overhands are popular. Hooks aren't that popular especially right hooks whcih are even rare in boxing because they are very short punches and not that simple technically.
Straight punches are also simpler mechaincally than hooks so even i n the early UFC it was eithe roverhands which are simiular to straight punches mechanically or straight punches. Vitor Belfort didn't knock Wnaderlei out with a serioes of hooks but with a serious of straights since it's much simpler to throw while moving forward
Right hooks are probably the rarest punches in all of combat sports, real right hooks and not overhands (beside maybe the left uppercut).
Hooks are rare in boxing?

Hooks are rare in boxing?

Real right hooks not overhands are are in my opinion. They are mostly thrown on the inside and sometimes at midrange but clean right hooks are rare in comparison to overhand punches.
Somje Dutch fighters like Ramon Dekkers use themk more often but how many right hooks do you usually see in a boxing fights let alone MMA?
For the standard fighter it isn't something you use often it's the shortest punch in boxing and most fighters fight on the outside and at midrange.

Real right hooks not overhands are are in my opinion. They are mostly thrown on the inside and sometimes at midrange but clean right hooks are rare in comparison to overhand punches.
Somje Dutch fighters like Ramon Dekkers use themk more often but how many right hooks do you usually see in a boxing fights let alone MMA?
For the standard fighter it isn't something you use often it's the shortest punch in boxing and most fighters fight on the outside and at midrange.
my bad i am south paw so i automaticly thought of the right hook as the lead hook lol. yeah rear hooks are not very common. i guess overhands are or loopy punches are more common

The spinning kick to the head or body is the popular spinning technique.

Back