Current UFC champions have the lowest star power in the last decade

I respect the skill level of today’s champions but yeah I agree, the UFC is really lacking in “stars” these days.

Jones was a wrecking machine on his way to the title.
Jones didn't really gain any steam until AFTER he became champion and fought a bunch of fighters with more name value than him; historically Jones has always been a low-mid level draw.

GSP took out dominant champ Hughes and was super popular. Silva was the most dominating 185er ever.
I already pointed out that both of them had a good amount of title defenses, they were the only champions in that picture who'd earned the "awe" that I previously referred to.

Frankie was in famous wars with Gray Maynard.
Frankie only had one war with Maynard at the time of that picture (their second fight), the third fight hadn't happened yet.

These guys were already stars, popular, and could headline a 500K+ PPV card.
Prior to this picture, Velasquez' only headline failed to hit 300k buys; after winning the title he averaged only 320k buys ($16 mil).

Jones only ever hit 500k buys when he fought opponents with higher name value, he wasn't drawing that on his own, he was carried; when the PPVs had to rely on Jones' star power he was averaging 330k buys ($16.5 mil).

Silva and GSP were the only true stars, but even Silva had dud PPVs now and then.

Edgar was NOT a star, he couldn't draw 300k off his name alone for the second Maynard fight (270k), and even with Aldo co-headlining he drew even less in the third Maynard fight (225k).

Aldo's headlines averaged 231k buys prior to the McGregor fight and in many cases he was a co-headline.

Todays' champ are not close.
It's tough to really compare 2011 champions with today because the structure of PPV has changed to streaming services, so getting accurate buyrates for comparison is nigh impossible.

Islam and Volk, two champs fighting, will not get close to 500K buys.
500k buys back then was only $25 million in PPV revenue, which is equivalent to 312k buys in today's era.

its because there is only one dominant champ in Volk... if Islam keeps winning he will get a big muslim fanbase... Leon and Hill are probably temporary champs but we will see.. If Jon Jones wins HW I bet he actually makes the jump to truly famous. IZZY was a big star but lost to Alex who almost nobody knows except hardcores.

I mean you are correct, this is a weird transition time... it happens in mma... All the stars of the golden era just aged out of the sport... the new era will definitely make its mark and we will see that some of these guys are legends in 10 years... I mean if we still watch or care.

2 of those guys had title fights on free TV. You're looking at history with rose tinted glasses.
the Fox title fight between Cain and JDS was probably the most watched UFC event of all time...

Definitely some of the Product of the UFC machine branching out to different areas and targeting certain fanbases. It may be hard to completely understand the revenue generated in other countries, although PPVs have increased in price there was a time when Chuck was averaging close to a million PPVs and the UFC was considered smalltime back then.
I think if you start to dive into revenues from certain markets and then realize in those markets that these guys are pretty legendary, maybe it makes more sense, maybe

casuals don’t know or get excited about them at all

the big problem is the cards are horrible lately …. The next 3 ufc cards are horrendous on paper … I’m a diehard who bets every fight if every card - and I have a hard time getting excited for any upcoming card
285 looks stacked wtf are you talking about

Leon has actually blown up in the UK.

Alex is Brazilian and has a ton of kickboxing crossover fans.

Islam has all of Khabib supporters/Dagestan supporters.

Volkanovski is big in Australia, a fucking famous tennis player was wearing his tee.

Moreno is always bringing in the Mexican market.

I think their champions are actually pretty damn good for star power.
No they're not

The difference is, back in the day they used to promote the guys that were good at fighting, now they promote the guys that are good at social media and tiktok. That's why the guys who are champs are not the the same set of guys who are promoted as stars. This is not a sport, its a sideshow.
Literally nothing has changed.

Even since old-school boxing days.

Fighters who can sell get more time, energy and money invested in their promotion.

Way of the world bro.

Every sports league I follow(UFC, NBA, NFL, EPL) has threads on their forums complaining about how today’s version of their league either sucks or isn’t as good as it used to be lol

Also, many of the metrics being used to argue in this thread are antiquated measures of popularity.

It’s called getting old, fellas. Nostalgia is extremely powerful.

Every sports league I follow(UFC, NBA, NFL, EPL) has threads on their forums complaining about how today’s version of their league either sucks or isn’t as good as it used to be lol

Also, many of the metrics being used to argue in this thread are antiquated measures of popularity.

It’s called getting old, fellas. Nostalgia is extremely powerful.
Taking Conor out of the nostalgia :

Usman vs. Masvidal 1.3M buys
Błachowicz vs. Adesanya 800k
Usman vs. Covington 2 700k
Usman vs. Masvidal 2 700k
Ferguson vs. Gaethje 700k
Adesanya vs. Costa 700k
Khabib vs. Gaethje 675k
Adesanya vs. Vettori 2 600k
Miocic vs. Cormier 3 500k
Etc

tried not to go back too far back into the nostalgia here but I don’t see any of the current champs drawing anything near these numbers

285 looks stacked wtf are you talking about

thats not a next 3 card … and list the stacked card plz

jones vs gane
Shavkat vs Neal

kool

Du plesis and Brunson ain’t great
Bo nickel is exciting but not against Pickett

that’s stacked to you ?^

the Fox title fight between Cain and JDS was probably the most watched UFC event of all time...

Not one of the two I was talking about. I specifically didn't point out that it was three because that one wasn't for a lack of star power.

thats not a next 3 card … and list the stacked card plz

jones vs gane
Shavkat vs Neal

kool

Du plesis and Brunson ain’t great
Bo nickel is exciting but not against Pickett

that’s stacked to you ?^

jones vs gane
Numes vs Aldana
Shevchenko vs Grasso
Shavkat vs Neal

Leon has actually blown up in the UK.

Alex is Brazilian and has a ton of kickboxing crossover fans.

Islam has all of Khabib supporters/Dagestan supporters.

Volkanovski is big in Australia, a fucking famous tennis player was wearing his tee.

Moreno is always bringing in the Mexican market.

I think their champions are actually pretty damn good for star power.
Yeah those champs definitely have their fan base. I think what the post is alluding to is cross over appeal. To the casuals and from people in other countries. Like how everyone knew who GSP was even if they weren't from Canada. Most have a majority of their fan base so far due to their region/religion. But if they stay champion long enough they should be more well known if they are properly promoted.

Reactions: TCE
That's because UFC no longer is in the business of making stars. It's the same as WWE. UFC is brand name.
Instead of being held hostage by a Ronda Rousey or Conor Mcgregor, they rather income smooth and have a lot of events because the primary income is now TV rights.
It's also why they can get away with subpar cards.

Back