Current UFC champions have the lowest star power in the last decade

I think the next potential big star is O'Malley, it also depends on if he wins a belt

Compare that to the champions in 2011
orpi7mslfag41.jpg
Velasquez had just won the title.
Jones had just won the title.
Silva and GSP had a good amount of title defenses.
Edgar was coming off a draw.
Aldo and Cruz had zero fights in the UFC.

We only look back on this photo and the champions in it with awe because of hindsight, because at the time it was taken it wasn't nearly as big a deal.

Velasquez had just won the title.
Jones had just won the title.
Silva and GSP had a good amount of title defenses.
Edgar was coming off a draw.
Aldo and Cruz had zero fights in the UFC.

We only look back on this photo and the champions in it with awe because of hindsight, because at the time it was taken it wasn't nearly as big a deal.

I disagree. These guys were all popular building up to their title fights. Jones was a wrecking machine on his way to the title. GSP took out dominant champ Hughes and was super popular. Silva was the most dominating 185er ever. Frankie was in famous wars with Gray Maynard. These guys were already stars, popular, and could headline a 500K+ PPV card.

Todays' champ are not close. Islam and Volk, two champs fighting, will not get close to 500K buys.

And somehow UFC is both dying AND making record profits.

Frankly, it will be really interesting what ESPN does for the next set of negotiations. I have no idea where UFC would go after 15 years of upward growth (e.g. Spike-->Fox-->ESPN).

Dana White is all the star power they need.

OP isn't wrong. But things can change. Maybe this time next year, they've all defended two or three times and they are all considered fantastic....

I think this will be more of the norm than long standing champs in divisions. This depth of quality fighters has grown tremendously over the years and will continue. Norm might be defending 4 or 5 times will be considered great and avg. maybe more like 1-2 defenses before losing the belt.

Only Sterling and Hill have weak star power, the rest of them are big overseas or are going to be big stars (Moreno, Pereira, Islam, Edwards) now that they have the official belt.

UFC died when it went to streaming access only. They have too many events spread over too many platforms. I am on an mma website just about everyday and I don't know where to watch the events most of the time, how is the casual fan going to find the product? UFC got the guaranteed ESPN money and stopped trying to build stars and stopped caring about their fans.

Leon has actually blown up in the UK.

Alex is Brazilian and has a ton of kickboxing crossover fans.

Islam has all of Khabib supporters/Dagestan supporters.

Volkanovski is big in Australia, a fucking famous tennis player was wearing his tee.

Moreno is always bringing in the Mexican market.

I think their champions are actually pretty damn good for star power.
Not even close

I can't wait.

Predictions:

1. USADA MANUFACTURES NEW EXCUSES FOR PICOGRAMS 2.0
  2. CORRUPTION JUDGES HIGHWAY ROBBERY

Back