Current Top fighters with styles that wouldn’t work in any other division

I don't think Jones style will crossover well for HW. Bones isn't a fast fighter and doesn't have KO power. He relies on strength and fight IQ.

That strength part will be interesting.
That's why Jones is focusing solely on power right now. He understands his strengths and weaknesses.

The problem is too many people are focused on how things look versus to how effective it is. The point is always being effective. You can have cleaner looking technique but if you are not effective with it, then your technique is at a lower level. The best have always did things you aren't supposed to be doing technically. They saw the textbook techniques and saw the holes in it and built a style around that.
I agree he's obviously affective and that's the point no ones arguing he's not , I was simply pointing out Francis lacks technique . Tell me what's his technique? just seems like explosive overwhelming power and a great chin an heart . But when he went up against the best of the best technique his lack there off was exposed an I don't think he'll change much because why the hell should he haha .

Deiveson Figueiredo

Cutting weight to the point of hospitalization to gain a physical advantage doesn't work at other weights besides 125
It works on all weight classes. That's why fighters routinely cut up to 30lbs+.

I agree he's obviously affective and that's the point no ones arguing he's not , I was simply pointing out Francis lacks technique . Tell me what's his technique? just seems like explosive overwhelming power and a great chin an heart . But when he went up against the best of the best technique his lack there off was exposed an I don't think he'll change much because why the hell should he haha .
There is different technique when it comes to power shots. A lot of trainers/coaches/fighters don't understand that unless they throw power shots as well. That's why the ones that tend to teach/learn textbook perfect technique are also not known as power punchers or KO artists. The ones that are deviate from the textbook a bit or completely. That's why a lot of people think power punching is something you are born with. They don't know it can be worked on and there is technique adjustments that need to be made for power shots.

Also his grappling technique was what got exposed, not his striking technique.

That's why Jones is focusing solely on power right now. He understands his strengths and weaknesses.
Most fighters in the UFC understands their strengths and weaknesses. Doesn't mean they can get fixed just like that.

There is different technique when it comes to power shots. A lot of trainers/coaches/fighters don't understand that unless they throw power shots as well. That's why the ones that tend to teach/learn textbook perfect technique are also not known as power punchers or KO artists. The ones that are deviate from the textbook a bit or completely. That's why a lot of people think power punching is something you are born with. They don't know it can be worked on and there is technique adjustments that need to be made for power shots.

Sure but as analysis like Dan Hardy have said Francis throws punches in fights in a way no top level coach would teach you to it's just not how your supposed to punch , but it works for him because he's 265+ pounds of insane muscle and he's just built different . And to an extent power can be like that some people can just hit hard , training can make up for a lot but some people have the touch of death if you will and others don't

Most fighters in the UFC understands their strengths and weaknesses. Doesn't mean they can get fixed just like that.
True, but some fighters will work more on their weaknesses so it either becomes a strength or less of a weakness in their style. Others just continue to work on their strengths and look for favorable match-ups to their fighting style.

On the flip side I always thought Wonberboy should go to 155 and Al to 170.
155 is full or strikers and 170 of wrestlers (al least more than 155)

Sure but as analysis like Dan Hardy have said Francis throws punches in fights in a way no top level coach would teach you to it's just not how your supposed to punch , but it works for him because he's 265+ pounds of insane muscle and he's just built different . And to an extent power can be like that some people can just hit hard , training can make up for a lot but some people have the touch of death if you will and others don't
You also have to factor in movement, height, reach, etc. People move in fights. The way you hit pads will not always be the way you are going to hit a person moving to hit you, or move away so you can't hit them. Trainers/coaches/fighters all miss those details when analyzing techniques. If Francis threw a textbook perfect uppercut the way you are supposed to on mitts, he would've never been able to hit Reem with it. Same can be said about Lewis vs Blaydes.

There is a lot of angles that "textbook" technique doesn't account for and that's why those angles are their weaknesses.

You also have to factor in movement, height, reach, etc. People move in fights. The way you hit pads will not always be the way you are going to hit a person moving to hit you, or move away so you can't hit them. Trainers/coaches/fighters all miss those details when analyzing techniques. If Francis threw a textbook perfect uppercut the way you are supposed to on mitts, he would've never been able to hit Reem with it. Same can be said about Lewis vs Blaydes.

There is a lot of angles that "textbook" technique doesn't account for and that's why those angles are their weaknesses.
i somewhat see what your saying it was a fairly nice uppercut he tryed to throw a very similiar punch against blaydes
DependentJaggedCrab-max-1mb.gif

still somewhat chaotic though i maintain thats its all about how hard he hits. he probably has the worse striking out of any KO artist in the UFC right now from a technique standpoint. as was the topic of the thread , without his physical gifts he'd have to fight wayyyyyy differently and at smaller wait classes his wild swinging wouldnt work at all (assuming hes smaller and therefore hits less hard)

Which top fighter has a style that only works in their specific division and wouldn’t work in any other division?

I’ll start with Derrick “Just stand up” Lewis.

Jeez, it blows my mind seeing Lewis just get up like that. I can tell he's using some basic under-hooks and hip escapes, but the way he just pushes aside these 265lbs monsters like Nelson is incredble.

Francis striking technique is garbage. Power can be trained up until a point, but power punching like Wilder, Foreman, GGG etc is very much an attribute you are born with.

i somewhat see what your saying it was a fairly nice uppercut he tryed to throw a very similiar punch against blaydes
DependentJaggedCrab-max-1mb.gif

still somewhat chaotic though i maintain thats its all about how hard he hits. he probably has the worse striking out of any KO artist in the UFC right now from a technique standpoint. as was the topic of the thread , without his physical gifts he'd have to fight wayyyyyy differently and at smaller wait classes his wild swinging wouldnt work at all (assuming hes smaller and therefore hits less hard)
Power punchers tend to have wider punches overall. Even elite level power punchers in boxing punch wide for certain punches. It's all about using the right punch, at the right angle, at the right time. Of course if all your punches are tight/wide and using the same angles all the time then it becomes easier to read/counter/time.

It's just that textbook technique for boxing/kickboxing/muay thai is for their specialized sport technique. Everything has to be adjusted when there are different ranges/reach/level changes like in mma. This is why wrestlers duck under "textbook" strikes all the time. Their "textbook" technique doesn't account for level changes to that extent.

Francis striking technique is garbage. Power can be trained up until a point, but power punching like Wilder, Foreman, GGG etc is very much an attribute you are born with.
There's a lot of power punchers, the major difference I see between them and others is the way they train. They focus on power punches.

There's a lot of power punchers, the major difference I see between them and others is the way they train. They focus on power punches.
Paulie Mallinagi can train power punching as long as he likes, he will always have pillow fists. Wilder was born with that right hand.

Paulie Mallinagi can train power punching as long as he likes, he will always have pillow fists. Wilder was born with that right hand.
I'm sure if Paulie worked on strength/explosiveness and not just technique and volume he would have harder punches. I know my punching power before and after and I've done it with other people besides me. Power can be trained. But there is more to it than just technique.

Lewis, despite everyone hugging his nuts after the Blaydes fight..

Sherdog is always about the moment- someone who just had a spectacular win is automatically unbeatable- until they lose.

I don't think Jones style will crossover well for HW. Bones isn't a fast fighter and doesn't have KO power. He relies on strength and fight IQ.

That strength part will be interesting.
Yup and relies most importantly on reach which is gone at HW

Back