1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Current State & Future of The Middleweight Division

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by JoeRowe, Aug 1, 2021.

1. JoeRowe Green Belt

Champ: Adesanya, 32 years old. Doesn't seem like he is going anywhere anytime soon.

#1 contender: Whittaker, 30 years old. Been in some wars & had some surgeries but has seemingly put that behind him & is still getting better.

6 Experienced vets whose ceilings we know, that can still test younger talent: Cannonier(37), Kelvin(29, should move down to WW), Brunson(37), Hermanson(33), Hall(37), Tavares(33)

10 Young contenders/Possible future contenders: Costa(30), Strickland(30), Vettori(27), Till(28), Muniz(31), Imavov(26), Allen(25), Du Plesis(27), Muradov(31), Holland(28), & Shahbazyan(23, 2 Ls in a row but looked improved vs Hermanson imo).

Overall I would say the division is heading in a very good direction. I'm not sure if Whittaker or any of the younger contenders can beat Izzy, but there are some fun & unique fighters. The days of Yoel, Luke, Jacare, Mousasi, Weidman, Anderson etc are long gone & its ok.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

I feel like Kelvin can be future champ. Allen looks like welterweight.

3. JoeRowe Green Belt

I feel like Kelvin could make a run at 170 but not 185. I actually thought Allen looked bigger than normal & bigger than Soriano. At 6'2 he reminds me of a young Alan Belcher, w/out the Cash tat.

4. Brady2Moss2007 Yellow Belt

Khazmat should jump weight classes.

5. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

Yesterday the Bellator commentators said McKee was bigger than Pitbull, but I think the word they needed was taller. Bigger refers to muscled, not height, necessarily.

El Fernas likes this.
  6. Jinx_AA Brown Belt

Mw division is incredibly weak ....possibly the weakest division

If Izzy clears rob again , there's really no contenders at all ....everyone's old , a d the young ones just aren't anything special at all .

7. LetThemBleed Silver Belt

Tbf I think McKee was bigger everything, more muscled, more weight come fight time and obviously greater height, guy's a massive 145er, makes sense he's already talking about moving up on a perm basis to 155.

jeff7b9 and A.S. Deep like this.
  8. LetThemBleed Silver Belt

HW, if Jones isn't fighting? And assuming you're excluding WMMA because it's a lot better than either the 125 or 145 pound women's weight division, 135 arguably too.

Ironnik94 and DaRivv20 like this.
  9. DaRivv20 Robert Whittaker’s Official Simp.

Strickland vs Costa would be dope.

Regardless I think as long as Izzy is champ the division will be stagnate. MW is my favourite division but it’s not looking great.

jeff7b9 and 'Suga Daddy' like this.
  10. chaos_36 DOOM all capitals no trick spelling.

The division is extremely top heavy, no one beats Izzy and Izzy is the only guy that can beat Whittaker. Gastelum is awesome too he's just a little undersized for the division.

Ironnik94, GOATtalks and A.S. Deep like this.
  11. mjfan23 Gold Belt

Current: undertalented bums

future: prime Erik silva

Chael_Sonnen and A.S. Deep like this.
  12. fortheo Titanium Belt

It's not that deep, but there's a lot of fun match ups to make. I hope we get Hermansson vs. Strickland next.

I don't necessarily agree that we already know Hermansson, Gastellums, and even tavares' ceilings yet, by the way. Jack and Tavares are only 33, which isn't that old for the division and I think both are still improving. Gastellum isn't even 30, so he definitely has time to make some improvements.

vinnie245, Ironnik94 and GOATtalks like this.
  13. Dreyga2000 VOTE DREYGA FOR POSTER OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!

There is no way he makes it passUsman or Colby

14. JoeRowe Green Belt

Probably not, but if Burns can drop Usman then it's not inplausibke that Kelvin can finish him. He's 4-5 years younger so I could see him sleeping Usman in a year or 2 as Usman declines.

fortheo likes this.
  15. JoeRowe Green Belt

Kelvin has peaked at 185, his last good win was a controversial split over Jacare. You might be putting too much stock in his loss to Izzy. Tavares getting a title would be even crazier than Blachowicz, he just doesn't have the physical tools. I suppose Hermanson has a chance to have a Bisping type title run if he sticks with it & gets the right breaks. His style presents challenges for a striking-heavy division.

16. jk7707 Silver Belt

Yep. If he beats Rob there's a wasteland left as far as real contenders. Maybe Till if he wins convincingly Brunson and gets one more win. But other than that I don't see anyone close to Adesanya. Which really sucks because he isn't moving up again after getting beat by Jan, so we're stuck with uninteresting title fights until somebody from the bottom makes a case for a title shot.

17. fortheo Titanium Belt

If by "peaked" you mean won't ever get a title, then we have different meanings of the word. I just mean I think it's too soon to say that those guys skills have peaked. Many guys put everything together right around that 33-35 year old age period. Bisping won the title when he was 37. Jack Just turned 33 and is 1-2 big wins from a title shot. He's not exactly in bisping territory yet.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Ardelia13 likes this.
  18. Destino2018 Green Belt

Kelvin will lose to every top contender and people will still harp on about this dude. He doesn’t wanna cut down to 170, fine. Keep losing and I’ll count the days until your outta here and either in Bellator or retirement. Absolute wasted potential taking heavy damage, every fight.

svmr_db and jeff7b9 like this.
  19. LetThemBleed Silver Belt

Isn't Whittaker only 30 too?

fortheo likes this.
  20. TheBulge Yellow Card Yellow Card

The worst division by far. This is just sad.