Current age of every HW fighter on the roster

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Taric, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Taric

Taric Gold Belt

So gentlemen. The Cro Cop signing got me thinking about the age of the HW division, and how many HWs in the UFC are what most people would consider "past their prime". So I did some fact checking on the UFC website and have listed every HWs age on the roster (although I know some of them are no longer under contract).

The purpose of the exercise? To determine what the state of the HW division is going to look like in say 2 years. So let's have it with the 38 total HWs on the roster.

40: (2 fighters)
    Shane Carwin
    Mark Hunt

38: (3 fighters)
    Antoni Hardonk
    Roy Nelson
    Minotauro Nogueira

37: (4 fighters)
    Josh Barnett
    Alexey Oliynyk
    Soa Palelei
    Fabricio Werdum

36: (2 fighters)
    Matt Mitrione
    Ruan Potts

35: (5 fighters)
    Andrei Arlovski
    Pat Barry
    Gabriel Gonzaga
    Frank Mir
    Antonio Silva
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    34: (2 fighters)
    Anthony Hamilton
    Alistair Overeem

33: (2 fighters)
    Shamil Abdurahimov
    Ben Rothwell

32: (5 fighters)
    Travis Browne
    Josh Copeland
    Stipe Miocic
    Daniel Omielanczuk
    Cain Velasquez

31: (3 fighters)
    Konstantin Erokhin
    Walt Harris
    Brendan Schaub

30: (3 fighters)
    Jared Cannonier
    Junior Dos Santos
    Shawn Jordan
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    29: (3 fighters)
    Todd Duffee
    Timothy Johnson
    Derrick Lewis

28: (2 fighters)
    Ruslan Magomedov
    Jared Rosholt

26: (1 fighter)
    Stefan Struve

24: (1 fighter)
    Viktor Pesta

16 of the 38 total fighters (42%) are 35 years or older. This is generally considered past your athletic prime (although Werdum seems to defy the odds).

15 of the 38 total fighters (40%) are between the ages of 30 and 34. This is generally considered within a fighters prime.

7 of the 38 total fighters (18%) are under the age of 30. This is the list of fighters who should be the new breed to take over the division in the future.

It's the 7 fighters I'm interested in atm, so let's list them:
    9-1 Viktor Pesta
    25-7 Stefan Struve
    13-1 Ruslan Magomedov
    11-2 Jared Rosholt
    9-2 Todd Duffee
    8-1 Timothy Johnson
    11-3 Derrick Lewis

My question to Sherdog is what do you think about the future of the division? Promising? Uninspiring? Hilarious?

Personally, I find the prospects uninspiring.

Struve will be dead by the age of 30.
    Duffee and Lewis are essentially walking fists with little else in their arsenal.
    Rosholt and Magomedov aren't overly versatile considering their grappling experience.

All in all. Meh is my official opinion.

Rip my thread apart boys. Have it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. SilvaMoney

SilvaMoney Green Belt

Yeah exactly

3. Drake

Drake Guest

What the fuck. Struve is only 26??

4. Fight Professor

Fight Professor Gold Belt

Carwin had retired. CroCop is 40 though. Hardonk??? Barry left UFC.

5. Taric

Taric Gold Belt

I too found it rather shocking.

Already established I'm just going with the UFC website.

6. Sherm

Sherm Brown Belt

Nice work, little Taric.

Your post really shows how freakishly mismanaged Struve's career has been, and I agree, he will be dead by 30.

JBJ is under 30. He's probably the best hope for this division. Although I think Travis can fight at a high level for along time. HWs supposedly mature later.

7. Drake

Drake Guest

Poor guy might reach JDS levels of head trauma by the time he's done.

8. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

Cain has the Knees of A 40 Year old , OR Slightly Better than Cruz

9. Jermei

Jermei Steel Belt Platinum Member

Quality OP. Will read. Thanks for listing them from oldest, down.

... except where's CroCop? edit: He's 40.

And I'd kill to see Hunt / Carwin.

10. 76Knockout

76Knockout Silver Belt

[​IMG]

11. mma midwest fan

mma midwest fan Purple Belt

I miss the time period when Carwin and Cain were up and comers in the UFC HW division. Come on Bones, move up.

12. SoberPoster

SoberPoster Orange Belt

Great stats and nice way to look at things, to be honest I'm losing interest in the UFC with all the shenannigans going on .....tired of all the TMZ - WWE angles and b.s Ratings talks.

If the UFC gives the fans a real product based on a sound system the ratings will come on its own....when you have to resort to fake trash talk, drama for ratings ....you know you somethings wrong.

13. Jermei

Jermei Steel Belt Platinum Member

Jon Jones, right guy at the right time to fight a weak HW div going forward with no real threats unlike Fedor who smashed his way through the toughest HW talent pool in history.

14. Taric

Taric Gold Belt

HW, historically, has been the bread winner for every MMA organization that had a HW division. The slow and agonizing demise of the division is without question extremely detrimental to Zuffa's bottom line.

If I was Zuffa, I would stay away from the old fading legends like Cro Cop. The UFC HW division is already full of them (42% of their roster in fact). Build up some new stars, and market the shit out of them.

Or, if you're going to bring in guys like Cro Cop, have your new stars knock them the fuck out for instant name recognition among long term fans. Having old guys fighting old guys does nothing for your organization in the long haul.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  15. tasticles

tasticles Red Belt

IMO 30 is past your physical prime. HW divisions tend to lend themselves to longevity like boxing since power is a huge focus and most of them aren't known for their speed or other great athletic abilities. A lot of the guys you listed are retired too. HW has always had trouble staying on top. It will go through its ups and downs like it always has.

16. WarriorPoet1

WarriorPoet1 Purple Belt

So does this prove that old saying about Heavy Weights prime being at like 35 or just naturally peaking later

17. tasticles

tasticles Red Belt

I think it just proves they are still having a hard time finding young guys that are any good. I think you end up having to filter through a bunch of guys that like to fight but dont train much except the all you can eat buffet or happy hour. Experience matters a lot too. Obviously a young arlovski is going to have a significant advantage over just about anyone.

18. Sherm

Sherm Brown Belt

It's debatable that 30 is past your physical prime. Your max heart rate, quickness, and reflexes will slow down a little, but you should be able to keep getting stronger into your 30s and you can possibly keep building on your endurance base, depending on how hard you trained when you were younger. You can also keep improving your technique and strategy, and that can more than make up for the subtle declines in other areas.

I think that when you see athletes in other sport go downhill in their late 20s, it has more to do with wear and tear than chronological age. In MMA, a lot of guys don't start training hardcore until a little later in life, so their mileage can be a little lower than their age would have you guess. It's also easier for fighters take time off to recuperate. It's not like the NFL, where they're redlining their bodies year after year from age 20 onward, and are afraid of losing half a season (and their spot on the team) if they allow chronic injuries to heal.

19. tasticles

tasticles Red Belt

Yeah that's very true. Wear and tear is critical. Most of the guys in their 30s fighting can still do great at least in mma its more common. In boxing they tend to go down hill because so many of them relied on mainly athleticisim as opposed to fundamentals. Roy jones jr and Bernard hopkins are a good example. Oscar de la hoya and mayweather are a good comparison too. Some guys are just very smart with that experience. Randy was genius with it and strong as hell, less milage too than most his age.

20. HOLA

HOLA Red Belt

There will always be new guys coming up.

Minakov, Tybura, Volkov, Rama are all ytop oung guys they could get eventually.