Curious about CTE risks in MMA? Allegations CTE Star Bennet Omalu may be a fraud/Incompetent

Maybe don’t put “curious about CTE risks” in the title then link to an article that doesn’t have a thing to do with that.
Typical Sherdog fuckery.

I don't doubt the link with dementia, slurred speech, motor skill impairments etc.

When people start linking it to complicated behavioural actions such as murder I become skeptical.

I'm also not convinced every boxer gets it, let alone people with about a dozen amateur fights. Boxing has been around for a hundred years. It's not just a sport made up of a few hotheads. No one would choose to become a boxer if they knew they were definitely going to develop symptoms. The first generation of boxers would have done it, then in the 60's everyone would have said "fuck me I don't want to end up like that" and chosen not to do it.

It is surprisingly uncommon considering the unfathomable concussive force they absorb over decades of time. Yes there are some major high profile severe cases, but these things also happen to the general public. I still think there's a clear link, it's just not as strong as you would imagine.

Last edited:
Maybe don’t put “curious about CTE risks” in the title then link to an article that doesn’t have a thing to do with that.
Typical Sherdog fuckery.

The article says many things about CTE.

E.g. how Omalu “fuelled misconceptions about the disease”, for example his quotes about there being a link between crime and brain injury.

I’ve seen people on here talking about that. Omalu took the study out of context, it wasn’t people who received the kind of damage you take sparring or even a routine Tko loss in MMA. The study Omalu referenced dealt with people knocked out for an extended period of time or into a coma with potentially other complications.

Perl also says;

“If people were following Omalu’s criteria the prevalence of this disease (CTE) would be enormous”.

It is surprisingly uncommon considering the unfathomable concussive force they absord over decades of time. Yes there are some major high profile severe cases, but these things also happen to the general public. I still think there's a clear link, it's just not as strong as you would imagine.

Sounds like you are making some judgements based off former boxers you know in real life rather than a few viral clips.

Brain injuries are bad!

And also, the sun rises in the morning.

It is surprisingly uncommon considering the unfathomable concussive force they absorb over decades of time. Yes there are some major high profile severe cases, but these things also happen to the general public. I still think there's a clear link, it's just not as strong as you would imagine.
Alot of those high profile cases involved individuals with drug addictions and pre existing emotional/mental disorders

He still maintains that he named and discovered the disease which he really needs to give up on.

There are even review articles on CTE which discuss the medical literature in the 50's 60's and 70's;

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/48/2/84.full

The idea he discovered the disease or named it is ridiculous.

He still maintains that he named and discovered the disease which he really needs to give up on.

There are even review articles on CTE which discuss the medical literature in the 50's 60's and 70's;

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/48/2/84.full

The idea he discovered the disease or named it is ridiculous.
I think this misunderstanding that people are having about his claim may have something to do with Dr. Omalu not choosing his words perfectly. What he meant, in my opinion, by "in 2002....there was no disease called CTE" is that, while CTE had been a term used for decades previous to Dr. Omalu coming along, it was still not listed in the medical textbooks as an official disease as nobody had ever been diagnosed with it. Dr. Omalu was the first doctor to diagnose someone with CTE - posthumously, as this is the only way that someone with CTE can be diagnosed - and after that, it became an "official" disease, listed as such in medical textooks. This is my understanding anyway. I really don't think that Dr. Omalu is delusional.

Last edited:
Scathing piece released by the Washington Post here;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/sports/cte-bennet-omalu/

It was written by Washington Post investigative Journalist Will Hobson who gained prominence in 2014 for writing an expose on slum landlords which won him the Pulitzer prize.

On Mike Webster autopsy;

"the paper Omalu published shows images that are not CTE and could have come from the brain of a healthy fifty year old man"

On Omalu plagiarism;

"I was a bit embarrassed - said Steve Dekosky co-worker he said he has no idea why Omalu continues to claim he named and discovered the disease"

Here you can see Omalu on video claiming he named and discovered the brain disease;

The absurdity of Omalu's boasts were pointed out by British Neuropathologist Willie Stewart who pointed out not only was CTE widely known in the medical research community prior to what Omalu depicts as his discovery in 2005, it had even made it into an episode of Star Trek in 1999 - 6 years before Omalu claims he discovered it.

Then there is the issue of the Chris Benoit autopsy which Omalu has been accused of misrepresenting.

The Benoit brain was described in these terms by the original Forensic Pathologist who autopsied him;

"The brain is symmetrical with normal distributions of white and grey matter".

http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/Celebs/benoit, chris_report.pdf

Then when Omalu autopsies Benoit suddenly he has the level of dementia of an 80 or 90 year old man.

"The issue is not what is depicted on the slides or whether Dr Maroon was shown such slides. The issue is whether the tissue on the slides is in fact Chris Benoit"

http://muchnick.net/mcdevitt121610.pdf

It is a fascinating article that I recommend checking out.

/thread

btw omalu is a medical celebrity

Middle aged guys that just had a few amateur fights you see at local boxing gyms often sound actually retarded. Like if you met them on the streets you'd think they were retarded.

Most guys in the sport -- like more than not -- have some kind of mental deficits such as bad memory (they lose their keys often, don't remember what they are for dinner, etc.), unstable emotions, etc. They hide if it they can though. They just don't talk about it.

Any proof?

What about all the guys with hundreds of fights who are fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back