Cure your cauliflower ear with magnets!

Will_N.O.

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, sort of. As anyone who has had a bout with cauli knows, one of the biggest problems is how to keep the skin pressed to the cartilage after you drain it so it can heal.

I can't remember where I first saw this suggestion, but in one of the many cauli threads on this forum someone suggested using neodymium (aka "rare earth") magnets to do this. I gave this a try and can confirm that it worked like a voodoo charm.

I used two neodymium disc magnets about the size of a small watch battery, one on the front of my ear and one on the back. This was sufficient force to keep the skin gently compressed against the cartiledge. You don't want anything bigger than this or it will weight the top of the ear down and cause it to flop over, and may actually create so much pressure as to be uncomfortable. I covered each magnet with a piece of band-aid and it was very discreet, suitable for the professional environment I work in. It was also so comfortable that it was no problem to sleep with them on as well

Again, note that this is useful only AFTER you drain it with a syringe. For instructions on doing this properly, check the FAQ in the stickies.

The only tricky part about this is that you have to have the magnets on hand when you get the cauli...you don't have days for them to wait to come in. But since you can get a pack of 10 for about $2, it's something that anyone can afford to do even if you never wind up using them. Something to think about.

EDIT: be aware that this type of small, powerful magnet is an extreme hazard around any child young enough to swallow them (if they swallow more than one then they can stick together across intestinal walls, requiring emergency surgery...so Keep Out of Reach of Children)

yes - me.

however I used too bigger magnets and it hurt abit too much, but smaller ones would definately be good.

Shit... Thats way better than walking around with a clothespin on your ear. lmao!

oh you guys.... cauliflower ears if done right can be fashionable, you don't want bj penn or sakuraba ears, but if you can get nice smooth cauli like GSP it looks cool

oh you guys.... cauliflower ears if done right can be fashionable, you don't want bj penn or sakuraba ears, but if you can get nice smooth cauli like GSP it looks cool

Paulo Filo and Machida's are the ugliest in my opinion. Labia ears FTL!

girls love cauli.

If this works it be a lot better then bolstering

I have one ear that looks like sakuraba's
and one that is just caulied on the inside
family keeps pressing me to do plastic sugery

Hey. Good idea. Never thought of it.

My headband has been working for years, I think I'll just stay with it.

Doing this method right now. The magnets, two disc shaped 0.375 x 0.063, have been in all day. If you are planning to use the type of magnets the TS is referring to, I suggest wrapping the magnet a few times over with some kind of tape. These magnets are surprisingly strong. At first I just wrapped it up with a single piece of tape it was fine for a while but they started to close in squishing my already sensitive ear. I was at work so I could only adjust them when it became painful. When I got home I wrapped the magnets a few times over and that really solved the problem. it lessened the force and made it more comfortable while still being able to compress the ear. As for the ear itself, it hasn't refilled and it looks like the skin is sticking.

Not that I expect anyone to reply to a year old thread but could someone tell me where they got these magnets and which ones specifically did you use? Right now I'm walking around with a finger splint on my ear and this would definitely be an upgrade.

tumblr_l0kxwe3C0x1qz50sko1_500.jpg

I have one ear that looks like sakuraba's
and one that is just caulied on the inside
family keeps pressing me to do plastic sugery

crazy this wolfwood guy has ears just like mine

Not that I expect anyone to reply to a year old thread but could someone tell me where they got these magnets and which ones specifically did you use? Right now I'm walking around with a finger splint on my ear and this would definitely be an upgrade.

I got mine at Michaels, but most craft stores will carry them. You want rare-earth magnets. I wrapped mine pretty heavily like the above poster and they worked perfectly.

im guessing you came across that forum that suggested the sam splint from rei?

Back