Cung Le would destroy any UFC Middleweight that isn't a wrestler or BJJ black belt.

dragonclaw

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I understand it's "mixed martial arts", but as long as his opponents wrestling isn't at a collegiate level or a high level BJJ with good takedowns, I'm pretty certain Cung Le would win.

Cung Le is probably one of the most under-rated fighters of all time. Every time his name comes up, people bring up his old age, say he's "washed up", yet he continues to take out some of the biggest names in MMA.

Let's look at his credentials.

SanShou

- Undefeated Sanshou career 17-0
- 3Time US Open International Martial Arts Championship
- Shidokan tournament champion
- 4 Time US National Champion
- 3 Time Captain of US SanShou Team
- International Kickboxing Federation LHW Sanda World Champion
- 3-0 Record in K1

MMA Accomplishments

- Former Strikeforce MW Champion
- Defeated former UFC title contender, lethal striker, Patrick Cote.
- Defeated Former UFC Champion Frank Shamrock
- Defated Former UFC Champion Rich Franklin

In regards to MMA, these accomplishments were made in a span of only 11 MMA pro fights, and with entering the sport at the age of 34.

Anybody got any shit to talk about Cung now with the facts in front of you?

tumblr_mmjvlsnuCs1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

CungLe_trips_Frank.gif

SmithLe4_medium.gif

cung-le-ko-rich-franklin.gif

your caveats make the pool of guys who would be eligible to beat cung le pretty small

Once again, Cung's wrestling is being underrated on Sherdog.

Cung has a wrestling background as well.

Once again, Cung's wrestling is being underrated on Sherdog.

I'm not underestimating his wrestling abilities, I'm just being realistic. He won't be able to hang with a guy like Chael Sonnen or Weidman in terms of wrestling. If those guys want to take Cung down, he's going down.

Never heard anyone say Cote was a lethal striker. Out of his prime Wand finished him too.

Well, first off, Wand beat him by striking

And second off, he beat up absolute nobodies in those Sanda competitions. He only beat one person of note Na Shu) and while that is very impressive, it's just one person.

You bother to list all those credentials as if they actually mean anything inside the cage, while electing to leave out the fact that he has the gas to fight like a videogame character for about one round.

Lol

Basically Bisping's going to get punched and kicked quite a bit and then probably knocked out? I'm in!

I forgot how wanderlei layed on him then submitted him... Also forgot about Scott Smith's black belt...

You're an idiot..

Your gym is also listed nowhere on Google Maps, "master sensei" (lol wtf?).

I like watching Cung Le fight, but he's getting overrated as hell. Maybe, when he was younger, he could have been something special. But watch the fights. He's flashy with his kicks and has nice trips, but he has zero ground game, his cardio is questionable, and his boxing hasn't been tested. Cote, Franklin, Wand, Smith, Shamrock, etc, were all slow at the juncture of their careers that they fought Le, and Le still got finished by Wand and Smith.

I'm not particularly confident he will be able to handle Bisping's hit and run bullshit, combined with the cardio edge Bisping will enjoy.

Prime Cung Lee Striking >>>>>>>>>>>> Machida, Belfort or Mousasi striking

And second off, he beat up absolute nobodies in those Sanda competitions. He only beat one person of note Na Shu) and while that is very impressive, it's just one person.

i heard he challenge Liu hailong

Too bad that the majority of that division is either one or both.

Fyi, Cung would smash Bisping and Munoz.

Chuck Liddell would beat anyone who cant strike and isnt a wrestler. Who cares?

You're not telling the whole story.

- First UFC Fight (Obvious Jitters)
- Gassed

Prior to that, he was having his way with Wanderlei, almost finished him off. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that if there was a rematch, Cung would take it.

Cung got into the game late. 10 years earlier and who knows. Cung is still awesome.

Back