Cung Le Vs Costa

Well Costa just beat Boetsch so im not sure how you have Boetsch ranked higher than him. Belcher and Munoz are both coming off loses while Costa is coming off a win over a top 10 MW (top 5 in some people's opinion).

Id say

Lombard
Boetsch
Munoz
Belcher

Are for sure ranked under Le and Costa.

No need to provide viable reasons.

Guys like Weidman and Lombard are stupidly high in some peoples top 10 lol. Cung and costa for sure deserve to be above both of them..

Lombard lost to Boetsch in perhaps the most anticlimactic UFC debut of all time, then he beat Palhares in a fight where he was supposed to do exactly what he did.

Weidman is a decent role, but lets not get it twisted. His biggest win is over an out of shape returning from injury Mark Munoz, have him fight a legit top 10 and lets see how he fairs.

Costa has some impressive wins as well except his biggest win is Tim Boetsch, a guy who was easily in line for a title shot, that right there warrants him to be above those two.

Cung Le is getting old yet improving! Lost to Wanderlei Silva in a debatable stoppage (I didn't debate it, but alot of people did). Came back to beat the hometown kid Patrick Cote in Montreal, which that alone doesn't get enough credit considering how highly people were talking about Cote when he was returning to the UFC. Then he went on and DEVASTATED Rich Franklin in Macau, alot of people didn't think Cung had much of a shot in the fight and we all saw what happened.

The MW division is so messed up right now, all the guys who deserve huge credit .... never manage to get it, yet the guys who win 1 decent fight get mentioned in the same sentence as Anderson, makes little to no sense.

there's so much fail in this post, i don't even know where to start.

le got annihilated by wanderlei, and his wins over were against two guys who're completely irrelevant to mw (cote and franklin).

whatever you want to say about munoz, he was ranked #3 at the time weidman beat him, and was on the verge of getting a title shot.

the only top 10 win phillipou has is over boetsch, and most people claim that boetsch was lucky to even be ranked as high as he was.

using that logic, boetsch should be ranked ahead of both lombard and okami, which he isn't.
he was ranked ahead of them until he lost to a guy ranked lower than them. While they beat guys ranked higher.

using that logic, boetsch should be ranked ahead of both lombard and okami, which he isn't.

Lombard? Yes. Okami? No. Okami is a perennial top ten who has been in the top five even for years. Sure Boetsch gets a huge boost for beating him, but gets dropped by losing to Costa, and therefor, Costa should be ranked ahead of him.

lol
Cung Le and Costa are not one win away from facing Silva.
If they fight (which would be a good fight, don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it), winner would still have to face someone like a Rockhold or Weidman before they get considered top contender

This ^^^^^

I just want to see that fight.......... and then also agree with the last part

Even giving their latest win streak both Cung Le and Costa have better wins than those guys. Rich Franklin is a better win than any of the fighters Belcher or Munoz beat and Patrick Cote is Alan Belchers best win and better than at least two of the guys Monoz beat so theres the argument for Cung Le being ranked above both those guys.

Costa was on a good 4 fight wining streak before beating Boetsch that was arguably just as good as Belchers and Munoz streaks(save the Maia and Cote wins) he just didn't have the names on his record those guys have until he beat Boetsch. Now his streaks at least just as good and it is longer.

why is rich franklin a relevant win to mw? he hasn't fought in that division in years. he might have a bigger name than a lot of guys currently at 185, but that shouldn't count for much in terms of rankings. phillipou's win over boetsch is no better than weidman's win over munoz since boetsch was never any higher than #5 while munoz was as high as #3.

Pat Barry Vs Todd Duffee
Jim Miller Vs Rafael Dos Anjos

Dude, how many of these fantasy matchup threads with the title of "fighter a vs fighter b" as if they're already booked, are you going to make today?

At least come up with an original title that isn't misleading. Or just save the mods some time and post them directly in The Wasteland.

Ok, I've read the thread but I still have to ask. Why is Cung Le being called a fringe top 10? How is he even close?

why is rich franklin a relevant win to mw? he hasn't fought in that division in years. he might have a bigger name than a lot of guys currently at 185, but that shouldn't count for much in terms of rankings.

He's a bigger name and better fighters than anyone those guys beat. He also made a name for himself in that division and while he hasn't been active there in a while and wasn't technically ranked, his previous accomplishments still count for something especially as he's still considered a middleweight to most. Frank Edgar is fighting Aldo for the featherweight title, should he lose he'll probably be ranked. Now if Edgar lost to Tatsuya Kawajiri in his FW debut, Kawajiri would likely get a high ranking for it.

He's a bigger name and better fighters than anyone those guys beat. He also made a name for himself in that division and while he hasn't been active there in a while and wasn't technically ranked, his previous accomplishments still count for something especially as he's still considered a middleweight to most. Frank Edgar is fighting Aldo for the featherweight title, should he lose he'll probably be ranked. Now if Edgar lost to Tatsuya Kawajiri in his FW debut, Kawajiri would likely get a high ranking for it.

i'm not really making sense of your post. le should be ranked high because once upon a time franklin was a dominant mw? that might hold water if it was 1 or 2 years ago, but he hadn't fought at mw since 2008. give me a break man. a win over him is something nice to put on your resume, but i don't think it should be enough to propel you into the top 10, particularly when you're 2-1 with a loss to old man wanderlei.

Who do you have above them?

1. Silva
2. Sonnen
3. Weidman
4. Bisping
5. Vitor
6. Rockhold
7. Costa
8. Boetsch
9. Okami
10. Jacare
11. Shields
12. Stann
13. Munoz
14. Lombard
15. Belcher

After that it gets awkward since Wandy > Le > Franklin > Wandy > Le etc. I thought Wand won the first Franklin fight so I consider them 1-1, and Wandy finished Le, so I'm inclined to say Wand > Le > Rich as far as rankings go, but Franklin just beat Wanderlei over the summer, so it's real jumbled.

Either way, I like Costa vs Le as a match-up right now. I'd prefer Costa vs Rockhold and Le vs Souza or Shields, but Costa vs Le also makes a lot of sense right now, especially since Lombard vs Okami is happening. Winner would seem to be close to a shot, but Bisping/Belfort winner, Weidman, Rockhold, and Lombard (if he beats Okami decisively), are closer to #1 contenders than the winner of Le/Costa would be.

i'm not really making sense of your post. le should be ranked high because once upon a time franklin was a dominant mw? that might hold water if it was 1 or 2 years ago, but he hadn't fought at mw since 2008. give me a break man. a win over him is something nice to put on your resume, but i don't think it should be enough to propel you into the top 10, particularly when you're 2-1 with a loss to old man wanderlei.

Franklins been active and winning fights so he should have still been considered a top middleweight on his return to the division. Especially as a lot of those fights practically are considered middleweight fights or have implications as far as middleweight is concerned(so that includes the Wanderlei, Hendo and Belfort fights).

Even if what I'm saying doesn't apply it still doesn't change the fact that a win over Rich is better than a win over any of the guys Belcher or Munoz beat.

Costa isnt popular enough to get a fight with Le.

Le should fight wand/stann winner

Thats how most rankings work.

then it's a flaw in the ranking system. :(

reason being: you have someone around #5 fighting someone not even in the top 10, but the guy not in the top 10 wins; all of a sudden he has to surge up the rankings, or the other guy has to fall out of the rankings, in order to justify that. it leads to some crappy rankings, with guys being ranked ahead of people they shouldn't be ahead of.

wand : 36
cung : 40

And Wand is the old man?? Only on sherdog!

then it's a flaw in the ranking system. :(

reason being: you have someone around #5 fighting someone not even in the top 10, but the guy not in the top 10 wins; all of a sudden he has to surge up the rankings, or the other guy has to fall out of the rankings, in order to justify that. it leads to some crappy rankings, with guys being ranked ahead of people they shouldn't be ahead of.

Then what should they be based off of? Who you or I think is "more skilled"? Should every jump in ranks be the same for ever win/loss? That would be very unfair for the people who do beat guys 20 spots higher than them, when the guy who beats even a lower ranked fighter can move up just as much.

Fightmatrix has a pretty good way of doing things (in my opinion) but even it has winners immediately over take those they beat (though its supported by their algorithm naturally).

Back