cuban23's year end boxing awards - 1st edition

cuban23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
2016 has been overall a pretty disappointing year. But there were some highlights.

Fighter of the Year
: Vasyl Lomachenko. This was a close one. You have Carl Frampton in the running and he had a great year beating Quigg and Leo Santa Cruz, but I felt that Lomachenko beat the better opponents and beat them both in much more impressive fashion.

KO of the Year: Vasyl Lomachenko over Roman Martinez. N'Dam had a great KO over Blanco, Gassiev had a great KO over Shimmell, but what separates Lomachenko's KO is the level of opponent and that it was a championship fight in a higher weight class.

Fight of the Year:
Keith Thurman vs. Shawn Porter. There are a lot of choices. Vargas vs. Salido, Yamanaka vs. Moreno 2, but Thurman vs. Porter was the right combination of skill and excitement.

Upset of the Year: David Peralta over Robert Guerrero. Joe Smith over Fonfara was an upset, but in hindsight maybe Joe Smith is better than we thought? Jezereel Corrales might actually be better than Uchiyama, But David Peralta was/is literally a cab driver in Argentina. Robert Guerrero has seen better days but this was a tune up gone very wrong and Peralta unfortunately couldn't build off the upset as he recently lost. So He gets my upset of the year.

Trainer of the Year: Abel Sanchez. Shane McGuigan had a nice year, Mike Stafford had a nice year, but none of them had better years than Abel Sanchez. Apart from Golovkin running through everybody, Murat Gassiev got a big win over Lebedev and is now the IBF CW champion. Denis Shafikov picked up two huge wins over Jamel Herring and Richard Commey, both fights where he was an underdog and has basically resurrected his career.

Promoter of the Year: Eddie Hearn. Probably the only unanimous choice this year.

Breakthrough star: Oleksandr Usyk. Dominated Glowacki in Glowacki's hometown, finished Mchunu and established himself as the best CW on the planet. He'll rule over CW until he decides to move up to HW and rule over those stiffs whenever he feels like it.

Rising Star: Sergey Lipinets. It was between him and Erickson Lubin. I think Lipinents has a lot of potential and he's beaten better opponents.

Robbery of the Year: Maurice Hooker vs. Darleys Perez. I had to think about this one for a bit because I thought Kovalev clearly beat Ward 8-4, 7-5 at worst. I thought Chudinov got robbed against Sturm. But this one takes the cake. I can't really even see how you can give Hooker more than 1 round in this fight. I had it 99-91 for Perez yet somehow Hooker escaped with a draw. Really, really bad decision.

Comeback fighter of the Year: Abner Mares. He's resurrected his career with Robert Garcia. Put on a great performance and pretty much dominated Cuellar. More importantly, got back to his roots.

Do you agree or Disagree? Post your picks as well.

Last edited:
Not sure I like Mares as comeback of the year. Cuellar was nothing special at all and that was Mares' only fight this year.

I suppose I can't think of a better example, though.

i have joe smith jr as my breakthrough fighter of the year
Actually agree with Mares.

Joe Smith Jr has to be the breakthrough fighter of the year.
Beat Fonfara and Hopkins and went 3-3 this year with 3KOs.
Also Smith Jr beating Fonfara is a bigger upset than Guerrero losing.

Fighter of the Year : Terence Crawford or Andre Ward

KO of the Year: Canelo Alvarez KO6 Amir Khan

Fight of the Year:
Keith Thurman vs. Shawn Porter or Gennady Golovkin vs. Kell Brook

Upset of the Year: Joe Smith Jr KO1 Andrzej Fonfara

Trainer of the Year:
Brian Mcintyre

Promoter of the Year: Eddie Hearn.

Breakthrough star: Joe Smith Jr

Rising Star: Vasyl Lomachenko or Errol Spence Jr.

Robbery of the Year: Maurice Hooker vs. Darleys Perez.

Comeback fighter of the Year: Shannon Briggs

Last edited:
I thought the GGG-Brook fight was really exciting.
Crowd was really into it as well.

Came in thinking it was a promo for all Cubans

Nice picks !

FighterOTY- Jermall Charlo
KOTY- Alvarez-Beefy Smith
FightOTY- Anthony Nelson-Jamie Conlan
UpsetOTY- Jezreel Corrales-Uchiyama
TrainerOTY- Abel Sanchez
PromoterOTY- Matchroom
BreakthroughOTY- Joe Smith
Rising StarOTY- Errol Spence
ProspectOTY- Erickson Lubin
RobberyOTY- Jamie McDonnell-Liborio Solis
Comeback fighterOTY- Yordanis Ugas
ComebackOTY- Skandar Halili-Jason Thompson
RoundOTY- Skandar Halili-Jason Thompson round 2

Last edited:
FighterOTY- Jermall Charlo
KOTY- Alvarez-Beefy Smith
FightOTY- Anthony Nelson-Jamie Conlan
UpsetOTY- Jezreel Corrales-Uchiyama
TrainerOTY- Abel Sanchez
PromoterOTY- Matchroom
BreakthroughOTY- Joe Smith
Rising StarOTY- Errol Spence
RobberyOTY- Jamie McDonnell-Liborio Solis
Comeback fighterOTY- Yordanis Ugas
ComebackOTY- Skandar Halili-Jason Thompson
RoundOTY- Skandar Halili-Jason Thompson round 2
Jermall as foty???

Bell end attention seeker of the year: wklymemes

Bell end attention seeker of the year: wklymemes

I don't know. There is some very stiff competition for that award. Queen B still has a few more days to really establish herself.

It's not that ridiculous.
Yes, beat Trout and J-Rock.
Meh I think it is.
Trout is ok but J-Rock is completely unproven. Maybe he turns out to be great but right now hes a prospect whos best win is.........Who? Alchine, I guess
Vasyl Ko'd Martinez and made Walters quit
Frampton beat Quigg and Cruz
I'd even put Pac ahead of Charlo rn.
Charlo would be my Rising star probably

Id add on trainer of the yr sanchez did a great job with ruiz for parker fight. I thought parker would steam roll him, i scored it even.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back