Cub Swanson: What's Next For Him?

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Cub Swanson at one point had people clamoring to see him in a title fight and with 6 wins in a row including 4 knockouts, few could say he didn't deserve it. Fast forward a bit to the Frankie Edgar fight and Cub gets absolutely dominated. He's then booked to fight an up and comer in Max Holloway only to be dominated then finished in the final frame. Riding a 2 fight win streak, Cub title talks have been curbed for now. I still think he has it in him to be a top contender but he's hit some speed bumps.

What is the next move for Cub, who would you like to see him fight? I would like him in fights against Bermudez, Lentz or Guida.

Jury since he is going to 145lbs. Or maybe Cole Miller.

Probably retirement.

The guy had his jaw and hand broken in the first round against Max, and fought over 10 minutes with that, coupled with him already having broken his jaw in the past, he mentioned contemplating retirement.

He has his own gym over here in So-Cal (TruMMA) so he has that to fall back on. Its hard to comeback from one broken jaw, let alone 2 in a career.

Give him and Bermudez tune-up fights and then make them fight each other

Idk what it is about his camps lately. It seems like they've been boxing centric and unable to adapt midfight. A far cry from the Cub from his win streak that was well rounded and actually took control of the Stephens fight with brutal body kicks.

He's considering retirement. I think he still has more to give, but he's sustained considerable damage. Now wouldn't be too bad a time for him to retire, at a very respectable 21-7. Otherwise, let him welcome Jury to 145.

He's considering retirement. I think he still has more to give, but he's sustained considerable damage. Now wouldn't be too bad a time for him to retire, at a very respectable 21-7. Otherwise, let him welcome Jury to 145.

This.

I'd give Cub one more chance to redeem himself, but he has a lot to prove that he still has what it takes to contend. He had no ground game for Edgar, and was mentally annihilated by holloway in the stand up.

I think he can still be a consistent top 10, I don't like the retirement talk.

i hope cub retires. it was sad to hear him talk about his injuries and the effects it has on his daily life when he was interviewed at ufc scotland.

Back