Cub Swanson unworried about being cast in ‘gatekeeper’ role for UFC 227

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“I had a lot of guys calling me out and he was the top-ranked one, and so that was the fight I wanted,” Swanson explained Monday on The MMA Hour. “I think it’s a good fight, and a win over him I think just gets me another big fight. I’m not really too worried about a belt right now. I just want big fights and fun fights at this point in my career.

“If I never fought for the belt, it wouldn’t bother me,” Swanson added. “That whole song and dance gets tiring, and it’s a lot of playing favorites. I’ve just had it dangled in front of me so many times, I’m just like, whatever, man. Just give me the big fights and pay me to show up and let me do my thing, and I’ll go home and hang out with my family and do my thing.”

For now, with the birth of his second child looming, Swanson understands the importance of what Saturday night could mean. A third straight loss would be a devastating hit to his hopes of big fights in the featherweight division, and Swanson is well aware that the UFC could be using him as an opportunity to boost Moicano’s name.

“I mean, that’s always the point. That’s what happened with Doo Ho Choi, and that’s how matchmaking works,” Swanson admitted. “You go, ‘Hey, this guy’s on a roll, he’s up-and-coming. Let’s test him against this person.’ I know the role I’m in right now. Coming off of a couple losses, you get to be the gatekeeper role, so that’s fine. I’m just not going to let anybody build their name off of me.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

To be fair, he's been screwed out of multiple title shots. At this point, it's easy to see where he's coming from.

It's a bit sad when they get on a huge roll, so close to title contention then knocked back. Dennis Bemudez is another recently.

Back