Cub Swanson Understands He’s Being Set Up as ‘Stepping Stone’ In Gracie Matchup - POST FIGHT ADDED

Cub is fucking wild and takes chances so I think there's a 90% chance that he will try to hit Kron with a flying Askren destroyer......and about 10% chance that it actually works. There's nothing more that I love then seen Renner and Ryon try to make excuses for one of their own getting wrecked.

Just watching the recent Unfiltered now on Fight Pass and Kron is saying the same again, how Cub's a traitor and he wants to send those gyms who refused him some t-shirts.

If anyone's got Fight Pass it's on there, it's pretty good is Unfiltered :)
anyone know why kron is calling him a traitor? what's the back story on this?

Pretty sure he's a Rigan Machado BB. The Machados relatives of the Gracies so I guess that's where they see the beef if Cub left Rigan's gym.

Because gyms have been refusing to train Cub because he's fighting a Gracie so Kron said he's a traitor because you're supposed to stick with your same camp and how he's going to send those gyms some t-shirts, along those lines.

He's getting choked out. It sucks but his sub defense is horrible. Cub is really good people though.

I dont really agree with that. However, I definitely think he has been underappreciated by fans (gauging by the idiotic, dismissive criticism of the guy I've read here over the years). In real life, however, everyone I know who loves MMA acknowledges Cub as a very well rounded competitor and a true fighter.

He's game and he has heart, wouldn't say he's well rounded though

Cub's always a top guy, hope he pulls this one off, he's kind quite on a ledge, 1-4 at his 5 fights + not named Weidman.
Still, all this Gracie feels like top-notch BJJ practitioners don't want to risk their reputation teaching BJJ to Swanson 2 months prior to fighting any Gracie, he needed to start practicing a year before.

Maybe he should scratch BJJ risks altogether and go for a KO, that worked well against Oliveira who is far more dangerous than Kron.

I kinda like Cub.
Its a shame Kron gonna put him to sleep tonight

Cub's always a top guy, hope he pulls this one off, he's kind quite on a ledge, 1-4 at his 5 fights + not named Weidman.
Still, all this Gracie feels like top-notch BJJ practitioners don't want to risk their reputation teaching BJJ to Swanson 2 months prior to fighting any Gracie, he needed to start practicing a year before.

Maybe he should scratch BJJ risks altogether and go for a KO, that worked well against Oliveira who is far more dangerous than Kron.
The fact you havent seen kron a lot doesnt make him less dangerous that Oliveira. Hes kinda unknown to you, but you gonna know him. Lets see how the fight goes, but i see kron subbing Cub and it wont look hard

Look I’m a BJJ competitor these days but I’d be surprised if Cub doesn’t win. Not sold on Kron in MMA.

The fact you havent seen kron a lot doesnt make him less dangerous that Oliveira. Hes kinda unknown to you, but you gonna know him. Lets see how the fight goes, but i see kron subbing Cub and it wont look hard
He has 5 professional fights in his career, not fair to say "he's unknown to me", he's unknown to the whole world, or, in other words, he's untested.

Being ranked below Charles Oliveira is far from bad, twice if you're a BJJ practitioner as Oliveira's your company's (record settin') biggest finisher. No matter how good your BJJ is you can always be tagged by a punch early and lose the fight, just ask Askren. [Hyperbole here]

Over this fight I'm kinda in a toss up between experience and motivation, I can see both guys pulling it out, but I wouldn't like to see Cub UFC ditching him, hence I already got someone to root for.

He mentioned that (I think in one of the interviews in the OP) however he said that he didn't train for that because he said he wasn't going to end up being there which worked for him but he doesn't think it's the wisest way to not train for something like that when going into one of these fights, he also added the reason he didn't train for that at the time and said how he doesn't plan to go there was because he'd actually pulled his groin so that's why he was saying at the time "I'm just not gonna go there" which luckily it worked out in that fight but we're not sure it always will.

So that's why :)

Last edited:
He needs to avoid the mistakes he made in the Ortega fight

Very winnable fight for him Imo

He actually looked pretty good in the Ortega fight but just wasn’t desperate enough to get away when Brian initiated contact. Cub needs to stay on husband bike and beat the brakes off this guy.

Cub is fucking wild and takes chances so I think there's a 90% chance that he will try to hit Kron with a flying Askren destroyer......and about 10% chance that it actually works. There's nothing more that I love then seen Renner and Ryon try to make excuses for one of their own getting wrecked.

I respect Kron because unlike Rener and Rye Bread making their money off the victories of others, Kron stepped up to compete with everyone in multiple rule sets. The only Gracies I want to see lose are Rorion’s kids and Royce who gives excuses for his losses and doesn’t truly compliment anything good his opponent does. But, that’s just my own personal view. I do respect Royce for at least competing and bringing BJJ to the world from his UFC history.

He has 5 professional fights in his career, not fair to say "he's unknown to me", he's unknown to the whole world, or, in other words, he's untested.

Being ranked below Charles Oliveira is far from bad, twice if you're a BJJ practitioner as Oliveira's your company's (record settin') biggest finisher. No matter how good your BJJ is you can always be tagged by a punch early and lose the fight, just ask Askren. [Hyperbole here]

Over this fight I'm kinda in a toss up between experience and motivation, I can see both guys pulling it out, but I wouldn't like to see Cub UFC ditching him, hence I already got someone to root for.
Great then =)
Imo kron will try to be a 2.0 gracie version. Some ability to strike and avoid being too onedimensional
Lets see how it goes tho

I get a vibe kron isnt really into fighting and only doing cuz he feels like he has too...

In regards to the UFC thing ditching him, I'd hope not too and I'd like to think that even when Cub hangs up his gloves he'll still be a part of UFC in some way be it an analyst on the panels or commentary even as he's really good at this and has great insights, if you've seen him on the UFC Now show you'll see how good and unbiased he is so he would be a really good addition to these kinda things for sure :)

Back