Cub Swanson is jealous

Sorry Cub but you have to market yourself more.

This is the fight game bro.

Cub just got annihilated by Frankie and has no swagger.

It's also a business, and Conor is the best shot the UFC has right now to make a lot of money. He's also super gifted, and looks way more impressive than Cub ever did.

I was with you until the last sentence. Cub has looked very impressive in his wins. Most notably against Siver and Pearson. In fact, Cub and Conor has very similar styles. Only difference is Cub fought the best in the division and lost. Something Conor will do soon.

You really think Conor can stop Edgar from doing to him what he did do Cub?

Good point. Personally, up until Frankie schooled Cub I was of the opinion that Cub would give Aldo a good fight.

Maybe Cub just doesn't run his mouth enough? Neither does Frankie and look what it gets these guys. Nothing. No way McGregor should be getting a shot ahead of either of them...

As good as Cub looked up until his loss to Edgar, I didn't think his chances would be too good against Aldo in a second fight. Surely I didn't see him getting finished that fast again, but Cub striking exchanges tend to be a little wild and over extended. I feel Aldo would of countered him pretty comfortably. Obviously he ran into an Edgar that's seemingly getting better and adding more wrinkles to his game. Go figure.

But yeah neither do much in the way of selling themselves, cause I'm sure they firmly believe that their performances should do that. And they would be right to think that. I don't think McGregor should get a title shot with a win over Siver by any means. I will say this though, McGregor is a class-A promoter and he's got the skills to back up the talk thus far.

too bad cub isn't interesting or a top fighter.

There's no doubt about the fact that Conor has got that edge- he's creating his brand and knocking fools out while doing it. Some guys can knock guys out, some guys can talk, but few are doing them both so well. Cub is more of a laid back, humble dude, but that doesn't sell like a brash, cocky Irishman. It is what it is.

Good point. Personally, up until Frankie schooled Cub I was of the opinion that Cub would give Aldo a good fight.

Maybe Cub just doesn't run his mouth enough? Neither does Frankie and look what it gets these guys. Nothing. No way McGregor should be getting a shot ahead of either of them...

Meh, Cub has some fights to win before he can talk. I think Frankie should act like a Jersey Shore asshole, even though he isn't, Edgar is under-appreciated and could still be the LW champion in my opinion. The way he lost the belt and the rematch always kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I like Conor, and I totally get what he brings to his fights as far as selling them and being skilled at the same time. I think he needs to fight Edgar before he gets a title shot, if he beats Siver, never know.

Cub would get wrecked hard by Conor.

I'm not sure. Cub is equally crazy and has a granite chin (against Edgar he tapped because he didn't want to have further problems with an allegedly broken jaw). Also a great striker himself.

As good as Cub looked up until his loss to Edgar, I didn't think his chances would be too good against Aldo in a second fight. Surely I didn't see him getting finished that fast again, but Cub striking exchanges tend to be a little wild and over extended. I feel Aldo would of countered him pretty comfortably. Obviously he ran into an Edgar that's seemingly getting better and adding more wrinkles to his game. Go figure.

But yeah neither do much in the way of selling themselves, cause I'm sure they firmly believe that their performances should do that. And they would be right to think that. I don't think McGregor should get a title shot with a win over Siver by any means. I will say this though, McGregor is a class-A promoter and he's got the skills to back up the talk thus far.

Yeah, the potential for greatness is definitely there with McGregor. I'd just like to see him earn his shot at the title.

From the promotion's standpoint though I guess it wouldn't be a good idea for an up and coming guy to face all of the top contenders before getting a shot at the champ. If he wins then he won't have any viable challengers...

Really simple: Stop choking when it comes time to earn your shot. (I say choking, I really mean you ought to improve as a fighter.)

Yeah, the potential for greatness is definitely there with McGregor. I'd just like to see him earn his shot at the title.

From the promotion's standpoint though I guess it wouldn't be a good idea for an up and coming guy to face all of the top contenders before getting a shot at the champ. If he wins then he won't have any viable challengers...

Very true. A match maker has to think about multiple criteria when setting up bouts. Is it going to be a crowd pleaser, is it going to make the most sense ranking wise, is it the best way to to set up a potential prospect, is the head brass going to be happy etc.
We shit on match makers sometimes, but it can be a balancing act, I can imagine.

Is Swanson willing to do the number and type of media appearances that McGregor does? I'm sure the answer is no. People thinks it's purely a matter of trash talk that lets Conor jump the line and I think that's a mirage. How many other guys are willing to travel to another country to do media appearances for the UFC and put over the product? I'm sure the UFC would be happy to pay for these guys to do it.

Is Swanson willing to do the number and type of media appearances that McGregor does? I'm sure the answer is no. People thinks it's purely a matter of trash talk that lets Conor jump the line and I think that's a mirage. How many other guys are willing to travel to another country to do media appearances for the UFC and put over the product? I'm sure the UFC would be happy to pay for these guys to do it.

Yeah, apart from him being a good fighter, he knows the business and thinks about how to make that money all the time. He loves his life style and thus will continue to do what he can to maintain it.

I see where hes coming from. The big problem for him is that he got wrecked by Aldo and selling a 2nd fight wouldve been tough. Therefore no push from Uncle Dana.
Most people weren't even watching MMA when their first fight went down.

Definition of beta

I agree. Some guy sitting at home on his computer trying to criticize a pro fighter's manhood and especially one like Cub is definitely a very beta thing to do. I am surprised you were willing to admit it. But the first step in fixing a problem is admitting there is one.

Very true. A match maker has to think about multiple criteria when setting up bouts. Is it going to be a crowd pleaser, is it going to make the most sense ranking wise, is it the best way to to set up a potential prospect, is the head brass going to be happy etc.
We shit on match makers sometimes, but it can be a balancing act, I can imagine.

not entirely sure that this is a factor.

ask chael

What are you basing that on?

Has Cub ever turned down a request from the UFC to do a media appearance? Most fighters would jump at the chance to get their name out there more and to be able to do it in a professional capacity

And you are sure the UFC would be happy to pay them to do it? Could you source something that shows they pay fighters to do to media events? Because I would be even more surprised to find out fighters turn down a chance to get paid to get their name out there.

Back