Cryptocurrency - a few tips from an old hand

Nik123

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of talk about investing in the crypto market over the last few weeks given how it's becoming mainstream now. So thought I would put together a few thoughts that may help noobs decide where and how to invest.

I've been in the game for a while now, and have spent thousands of hours on researching cryptocurrency white papers, teams, use cases, and future growth potential.

Please don't take the following as investment advice per se (I am not a financial advisor), but as potentially useful information to guide your own research before investing.

My picks for coins that are likely to do very well in 2018 (these are all under the radar right now):

In no particular order:

1. ETHOS (Voyager): this is a game changer. Ethos will be a Coinbase killer. They are launching a new universal wallet (coming out in Q1 2018) what will enable anyone to buy any cryptocurrency (not just the coinbase ones) with fiat money, and also let people cash out. On top of that, there will be a price predictions platform, social networking, and a building tool for apps. They will also let newbies instantly invest in diversified baskets of crpyocurrencies (eg. big caps, privacy coins etc) with 1-click type functionality. Very solid team (ex BlackRock COO, who is very active in replying to questions on their telegram chat). I see this as driving the next stage of crypto adoption (past Bitcoin to the Alt coins). Imagine logging into Ethos on your phone, looking at price predictions for a coin ranked by the community, being able to invest with one click, and then when you want cash out with one click.

Do the research and you can see what kind of potential Ethos has next year. Now is the time to get in, before the herd comes.

https://www.ethos.io/

Note: you can buy Ethos by trading your bitcoin for it on exchanges like Binance. But be aware that on Binance Ethos is still under it's old name, Bitquence (ticker symbol BQX).

2. POWER LEDGER: this is a monster. RIchard Branson and Elon Musk are investors. They are using the blockchain to let people actually sell and trade solar energy (this is a big deal in Australia, where it has launched. A lot of people have solar energy meters which they don't fully use. This lets them actually sell their excess energy to anyone in the grid automatically, circumventing the power companies. With green energy being the next big thing, this has potential to take over the world). Their team leader, Jemma Green, is a bit of a superstar. She also just became Mayor of Perth - so political power in addition to their huge plans.

Edit: Chucking in a few alternative options to get the juices flowing, both of these are at ICO (initial coin offering) stage -

3. Singularity Net
(the first ever global decentralised AI/robotics marketplace - letting people monetize AIs and letting AIs talk to each other to fill in capability gaps to respond to business and user demand/needs. Skynet basically. Led by the chief AI scientist from Hansen Robotics, the guy who made 'Sofia'.

4. INTERNET NODE TOKEN (INT)

The IOTA of China. Criminally undervalued at the moment, with the potential for 100x gains in the future. Most people in the West are not even aware this thing exists yet. If you look at the market cap for IOTA, you can see how big this thing can get.

Superstar team, with heavy heavy expertise in Internet of Things application technology, big partnerships (IBM, Microsoft) and a massive use case - the IoT industry is set to be one of the biggest on Earth over the next few years.

Investor types/styles:

You can take the following approaches with investing in this market (or most liquid markets):

1. Day trading (trying to make money off daily volatility/price fluctuations in the market. This is a highly risky and stressful strategy. Most day traders lose money as the market is almost impossible to time, and you are up against trading bots and whales).

2. Swing trading (trying to make money off weekly/monthly trends based on price movements, market news. etc. Still risky, but safer than day trading if you know what you are doing. Decent profit potential, but you need to be heavily into this space, constantly reading up on market and coin news, and familiar with analytical tools

3. Holding (HODLing) - Long term investing. The best tactic by far. This involves finding coins with solid fundamentals, teams, and use cases (ie does the project solve a real world need) - and then holding onto the coin for at least 1-3 years. The market will go up and down, but HODLERs don't worry about that as they have taken an educated risk, and just hold onto their investment through the ups and downs. HODLERs have confidence in their picks based on research, and they don't panic sell because they have only invested what they are willing to lose. This tactic has proven time and again to give much much better returns than day trading or swing trading. The long term returns in this market, and the future potential...is jaw dropping. But you need to HODL to really benefit.

Anyways, hope this is useful for those looking into the crypto market. Remember to do your own research, and happy HODLing.

Last edited:
Get the hell off my lawn!!!!!!
angry-old-man.jpg

I've seen a lot of talk about investing in the crypto market over the last few weeks given how it's becoming mainstream now. So thought I would put together a few thoughts that may help noobs decide where and how to invest.

I've been in the game for a while now, and have spent thousands of hours on researching cryptocurrency white papers, teams, use cases, and future growth potential.

Please don't take the following as investment advice per se (I am not a financial advisor), but as potentially useful information to guide your own research before investing.

My picks for coins that are likely to do very well in 2018 (these are all under the radar right now):

In no particular order:

1. ETHOS: this is a game changer. Ethos will be a Coinbase killer. They are launching a new universal wallet (coming out in Q1 2018) what will enable anyone to buy any cryptocurrency (not just the coinbase ones) with fiat money, and also let people cash out. On top of that, there will be a price predictions platform, social networking, and a building tool for apps. They will also let newbies instantly invest in diversified baskets of crpyocurrencies (eg. big caps, privacy coins etc) with 1-click type functionality. Very solid team (ex BlackRock COO, who is very active in replying to questions on their telegram chat). Currently hovering around 1.90$ - predictions for next year range from $20 to $100. I see this as driving the next stage of crypto adoption (past Bitcoin to the Alt coins). Imagine logging into Ethos on your phone, looking at price predictions for a coin ranked by the community, being able to invest with one click, and then when you want cash out with one click.

Coinbase will made redundant by this. And if you imagine how big Coinbase is now (number 1 downloaded iphone app in the United States) - you can see what kind of potential Ethos has next year. Now is the time to get in, before the herd comes.

Note: you can buy Ethos by trading your bitcoin for it on exchanges like Binance. But be aware that on Binance Ethos is still under it's old name, Bitquence (ticker symbol BQX).

2. POWER LEDGER: this is a monster. RIchard Branson and Elon Musk are investors. They are using the blockchain to let people actually sell and trade solar energy (this is a big deal in Australia, where it has launched. A lot of people have solar energy meters which they don't fully use. This lets them actually sell their excess energy to anyone in the grid automatically, circumventing the power companies. With green energy being the next big thing, this has potential to take over the world). Their team leader, Jemma Green, is a bit of a superstar. She also just became Mayor of Perth - so political power in addition to their huge plans.

3. InvestFeed: this is aiming to be the decentralised Facebook of the crypto world. They already have a working platform you can use, and a huge amount of features (more incoming per their published roadmap) and a massive marketing campaign incoming early next year. Price likely to go insane after that (as it is less than $0.07 now!). Their platform brings traders together to discuss crypto trading ideas, news, market trends, prices, etc. Has the potential to go up in price 100 times or more next year given it's tiny market cap at the moment.

Investor types/styles:

You can take the following approaches with investing in this market (or most liquid markets):

1. Day trading (trying to make money off daily volatility/price fluctuations in the market. This is a highly risky and stressful strategy. Most day traders lose money as the market is almost impossible to time, and you are up against trading bots and whales).

2. Swing trading (trying to make money off weekly/monthly trends based on price movements, market news. etc. Still risky, but safer than day trading if you know what you are doing. Decent profit potential, but you need to be heavily into this space, constantly reading up on market and coin news, and familiar with analytical tools

3. Holding (HODLing) - Long term investing. The best tactic by far. This involves finding coins with solid fundamentals, teams, and use cases (ie does the project solve a real world need) - and then holding onto the coin for at least 1-3 years. The market will go up and down, but HODLERs don't worry about that as they have taken an educated risk, and just hold onto their investment through the ups and downs. HODLERs have confidence in their picks based on research, and they don't panic sell because they have only invested what they are willing to lose. This tactic has proven time and again to give much much better returns than day trading or swing trading. The long term returns in this market, and the future potential...is jaw dropping. But you need to HODL to really benefit.

Anyways, hope this is useful for those looking into the crypto market. Remember to do your own research, and happy HODLing.
Thanks for that. A couple things:

I downloaded investfeed. I wasn't too impressed but I'll keep an eye on it.

I own some power ledger. It's done well. However it's not true that elon musk is invested.

Thanks for that. A couple things:

I downloaded investfeed. I wasn't too impressed but I'll keep an eye on it.

I own some power ledger. It's done well. However it's not true that elon musk is invested.

Invest Feed is a long term hold. You don’t want to be impressed or unimpressed by short term performance. Hold it for a year at least then make a call. Musk being involved is a rumour, but Branson most likely is. Neither can be formally verified at this stage - and frankly that is the least important factor about this project.

^ and you’re welcome for the power Ledger tip. It’s going places next year.

^ and you’re welcome for the power Ledger tip. It’s going places next year.
Yeah I do appreciate the heads up on powr. I think I am going big on POWR, ADA, ETHOS and LTC for 2018.

Yeah I do appreciate the heads up on powr. I think I am going big on POWR, ADA, ETHOS and LTC for 2018.

No worries. Good choices, but careful with ADA. They are grossly overvalued imo, given they have no prototype or working product - just ideas and hype. Not saying they won’t be big but a correction in price may happen given how fast they have been pumped (15 billion valuation with no actual product is ridiculous).

No worries. Good choices, but careful with ADA. They are grossly overvalued imo, given they have no prototype or working product - just ideas and hype. Not saying they won’t be big but a correction in price may happen given how fast they have been pumped (15 billion valuation with no actual product is ridiculous).
Well you're faced with two choices: buy in before the platform takes off and has a working product, and get the coin at a cheap price, or buy it after the platform has launched and miss out on gains.

Well you're faced with two choices: buy in before the platform takes off and has a working product, and get the coin at a cheap price, or buy it after the platform has launched and miss out on gains.

Yeah but the only problem here is that the valuation has shot up as if a platform has launched - with no platform being launched. And ADA is now a top 7 coin based on hype. They also have a hugely ambitious scope. Anyone who has managed massive projects will tell you the bigger the scope, the more potential for setbacks and risk of not being successful. Also, ADA has established competitors (Ethereum and Neo - both working products with many ICOs being launched off them) and EOS etc.

Tread with caution is what I would maintain.

I've only glanced @ InvestFeed but I don't like it. How do they utilize or service blockchain tech? What benefit is there to tokenizing a social network as opposed to just using the traditional structure?

What is with everyone using HODL instead of Hold?
It doesn’t instill a lot of confidence in people who can’t spell a 4 letter word.

What is with everyone using HODL instead of Hold?
It doesn’t instill a lot of confidence in people who can’t spell a 4 letter word.
I think they mean that even HODR can invest, it's so simple!

I'm leaving that way :'(

Ugh I hate trasferring BTC sometimes. I transferred some BTC from coinbase to Binance like 2 hours ago and it still hasn't gone through. It cost it quite a bit because I was going to buy ETHOS at like $1.89 and then it jumped to $2.15

Thanks delay.

I've only glanced @ InvestFeed but I don't like it. How do they utilize or service blockchain tech? What benefit is there to tokenizing a social network as opposed to just using the traditional structure?

It’s more than just a social network. They are adding a decentralised exchange directly onto the site. And you can actually earn money by posting on it. It’s still in alpha stage and very clunky - as it’s in embryonic stage at the moment. And the blockchain is more than decentralisation- it’s a better more efficient way of sending data, any data. So literally anything which involves data transactions can benefit hugely from this. Feel free to dive into the detail.

Last edited:
Back