Cruz vs. Garbrandt was one of the best fights i've ever seen!

The only thing I didn't enjoy (beside the result) about this fight was CG's attitude during the knockdowns. Dude, you just rocked a man that's well known for being durable and hard to hit. Don't point at him, go finish your goddamn job, son. Was rooting for Dom, but great fight and huge future for Cody and for the division. I'm really excited for 2017.

the most intriguing thing for me was that the one instance where he dropped Cruz and then pointed and laughed essentially- that was the one knockdown where, and correct me if I'm wrong, it seemed like Cruz was rocked bad. Like he seemed to recover quickly as he always does, but in that particular instance it looked like his eyes rolled back and Cody likely could have pounced on him in that couple of seconds rather than given him the "got ya" point and smile.

Best fight you have ever seen? what did you just start watching MMA tonight?

Cody and TJ looked fucking elite tonight.

So happy for Amanda, but it's a shame that fight will overshadow the two amazing performances both Cody and TJ showed tonight. Those two deserve some attention.

Cody schooled Cruz. How he didn't win by a bigger margin was my only question. How do you knock someone down 3-4 times in a round and not get a 10-8?

I think he did get a 10-8 on two judges' cards, no? Cause you had scores of 48-46- meaning that two judges gave Cruz two rounds but gave Garbrandt three round, including a 10-8.

10-9-10-10-9
9-10-9-8-10

I guess they scored it like that- Cruz taking round 2 and round 5 and Cody taking round 1 and dominantly taking round 3 and 4.

the most intriguing thing for me was that the one instance where he dropped Cruz and then pointed and laughed essentially- that was the one knockdown where, and correct me if I'm wrong, it seemed like Cruz was rocked bad. Like he seemed to recover quickly as he always does, but in that particular instance it looked like his eyes rolled back and Cody likely could have pounced on him in that couple of seconds rather than given him the "got ya" point and smile.
Saw that too, looked like Cruz gone out and woke up as he was hitting the floor. If CG followed up with 2 or 3 punches, we would definitely see a stoppage right there, but he wasn't willing to do so.

Cody schooled Cruz. How he didn't win by a bigger margin was my only question. How do you knock someone down 3-4 times in a round and not get a 10-8?

I didn't give it a 10-8, but then again I didn't give Conor or Woodley a 10-8 round either in their fights against Diaz/Woodley.

I think he did get a 10-8 on two judges' cards, no? Cause you had scores of 48-46- meaning that two judges gave Cruz two rounds but gave Garbrandt three round, including a 10-8.

10-9-10-10-9
9-10-9-8-10

I guess they scored it like that- Cruz taking round 2 and round 5 and Cody taking round 1 and dominantly taking round 3 and 4.
Round 1 was a toss-up tbh, but I do agree with this scorecards. Didn't scored the round 3 a 10-8 personally, but it was pretty close to it.

Good post. This is why I would be interested in a rematch. Cruz is a master tactician, but I think he underestimated Cody's movement and unwillingness to just press forward. I would like to see his adjustments.

I think Dom didn't want to admit to himself or believe that Cody was any different to Benavidez, Faber, TJ. He likes to wind them all up but in some defense to him neither did most of us know what Cody is capable of. He's not had much cage time, he's known as an early KO artist meaning he hasn't had to show much but now Dom knows what to expect & knows he's in for a hard night. I too want a rematch to see Cruz's adjustments, he has the IQ but has he got the physical attributes to match a young hungry lion? Also with Cruz's injury problems I hope he stays busy & active so book him up to a fight ASAP after he's healed up... Obv TJ-Cody will be next so instead of sitting out to face the winner maybe Frankie drops down & Cruz-Edgar winner fights for the belt? I kind of want to see Dom in a big fight still even after a defeat because he would beat all ranked 3 or under pretty easily.

Back