Cruz vs Benavidez: Classic tall vs short striking battle?

Great performance by cruz. His style is really akward, his leading right uppercut that he throws sometimes, goes against everything that is taught in boxing. His style works for him, however i think he spends to much energy in unecessary footwork.

youve probably just been brought up on Bullshit MMA MFS standup as opposed to actual unique, improvised striking.

Cruz is beautiful to watch for those of us who have been striking for a long time.

Well, I understand that Cruz edged Benny out in the striking department, but alot of times it seems like the way he lunges in and throws looping punches gets him off balance and open to counters (something that Joe was able to take advantage of a few times, by countering with hard rights). Since he's always bouncing around, he can never plant his feet and throw for power, and it seems like the only significant blows he ever lands when he's in that mode are leg kicks.

He crosses his feet constantly, has his elbows bowed out w/ his hands at his chestline, and as I said before- he looks really off balance when he throws his right hand. I think all this is supported by the fact that he didn't hurt Benavidez significantly with any shots (the flying knee being the best by far, and that was only a glancing blow).

Like I said- the best facet of his game IMO is his takedown game, and I think a good striker who has a good concept of distance & timing + power, a sturdy chin, and solid grappling (especially TD defense) will be able to beat him. Scotty Jorgensen seems like the guy to do it, his striking game is very no- nonsense, he has good power, he's athletic, he's tough/ has a good gas tank, and he has a nasty sprawl. I also think a guy like Wagnney Fabiano could get him, and so could Urijah if he doesn't do anything stupid standing.

I think Sinister mentioned this once - Cruz has a style very reminiscent of boxing's current lineal MW champ, Sergio Martinez

I think Sinister mentioned this once - Cruz has a style very reminiscent of boxing's current lineal MW champ, Sergio Martinez

OH NO U DIDNT !!! u didnt just compare that awkward looking mma guy to the probably the fastest guy at MW in boxing !

OH NO U DIDNT !!! u didnt just compare that awkward looking mma guy to the probably the fastest guy at MW in boxing !

People need to get off their high horse with the pure striking/MMA striking thing. It's okay to make a loose comparison. Only a moron would think it was anything but a loose comparison.

^ Yes..I too was disapointed in the lack of inside work displayed by Benevadez. Leg kicks were missing also, as was overall punching power. I agree with several posters regarding Cruz's "style"....he does appear awkward...but it seems to work for him. I wanted to see Joseph close the distance with leg kicks and wade into the pocket, where Cruz's long body would be readily available for gut and liver shots. Overall...I enjoyed the fight.

mma guys aren't conditioned to or committed to fighting on the inside, the only occassion they do so is when using an often poorly executed thai clinch. Im not an inside fighter at all; but i know what good one's do and most mma guys aren't effective at long, mid range, MUCH LESS close range.

the issue w/joseph is the same w/most guys, they don't know how to put shots together; nor do they know how to setup offense or use defense to set up and execute offense, they may slip/block a shot and then throw one or two shots. But they can't do it and throw 3-4-5-6; which was benaivdes issue, he is very erratic w/the quality and precisness of his standup. Of bigger note is his dependence on his workrate, his explosiveness and his agility; he hasn't yet mastered or even developed the ability TO WORK HIS WAY IN and as a result be offensively active and located in the correct/most effective range as it pertains to his reach/height/

he would land one or two shots or a leg kick and a wild punch; an then stop, maybe it was for fear of being countered. But given that cruz lacks legit one shot power, i tend to think joseph didn't extend his attack because he didn't know how to; he figured his ability would allow him to eventually land that shot, which wasn't gonna happen given cruz sense of distance, timing, his reach and superior overall boxing (footwork, headmovement, upperbody movement, angles, feints, and more importantly his speed). Against lesser skilled and lesser gifted guys, benavides wild athletic staccato attacks work fine; but against a more seasoned guy his lack of polish in execution or setup winds up w/him swing short long wide or other things.

joseph could have got to the body, but he didn't work his way in; an even if he got in, i don't know that he would have opened up and attacked the body. Im not an inside guy at all; but i do alot of bodyshots, but i set them up and work my way in behind a jab and w/footwork, two things benavides doesn't use alot or well.

mma guys aren't conditioned to or committed to fighting on the inside, the only occassion they do so is when using an often poorly executed thai clinch. Im not an inside fighter at all; but i know what good one's do and most mma guys aren't effective at long, mid range, MUCH LESS close range.

the issue w/joseph is the same w/most guys, they don't know how to put shots together; nor do they know how to setup offense or use defense to set up and execute offense, they may slip/block a shot and then throw one or two shots. But they can't do it and throw 3-4-5-6; which was benaivdes issue, he is very erratic w/the quality and precisness of his standup. Of bigger note is his dependence on his workrate, his explosiveness and his agility; he hasn't yet mastered or even developed the ability TO WORK HIS WAY IN and as a result be offensively active and located in the correct/most effective range as it pertains to his reach/height/

he would land one or two shots or a leg kick and a wild punch; an then stop, maybe it was for fear of being countered. But given that cruz lacks legit one shot power, i tend to think joseph didn't extend his attack because he didn't know how to; he figured his ability would allow him to eventually land that shot, which wasn't gonna happen given cruz sense of distance, timing, his reach and superior overall boxing (footwork, headmovement, upperbody movement, angles, feints, and more importantly his speed). Against lesser skilled and lesser gifted guys, benavides wild athletic staccato attacks work fine; but against a more seasoned guy his lack of polish in execution or setup winds up w/him swing short long wide or other things.

joseph could have got to the body, but he didn't work his way in; an even if he got in, i don't know that he would have opened up and attacked the body. Im not an inside guy at all; but i do alot of bodyshots, but i set them up and work my way in behind a jab and w/footwork, two things benavides doesn't use alot or well.

That's a pretty good breakdown. I agree, that Benavidez had one or two counter-shots he had been working on to catch Cruz, and not a comprehensive game to rely on beyond that. He just kept recycling the one or two counters he had in his toolbelt, and he was totally reliant on a couple flaws he had singled out in Cruz. When Cruz adapted, he had nothing, other than to wait and see if the openings he was waiting for would present themselves again. He found a home for his simple counter-attack early, but unless someone has crushing knockout power, you can never bank on a few single isolated attacks.

Back