Cruz vs Benavidez: Classic tall vs short striking battle?

Seppuku Sam

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The upcoming Cruz vs Benavidez bout presents an opportunity to study the classic "tall vs short" fighter matchup. Obviously, Cruz is the taller, rangier striker and Benavidez is the shorter opponent. What makes this interesting to me is the fact that Benvadez is not known as an outstanding striker, but more of a takedown, GnP fighter. The reason I believe this an interesting study of "tall vs short" striker...is that I dont beleive Benvadez has a chance of geting Cruz down and working his GnP. For Benavadez to win this fight...he is going to have to do it on his feet.
So.....1: Do you Benavadez will abandon his previously futitle attempts to get Cruz down and attempt to win a striking battle? And 2: If so...what will his stratedgy be? What say ye?

It just does not seem likely he can beat Cruz standing, Sam. If, that is a big IF, he does, it will be by slipping to get in and landing his best bombs. Then, using the opportunity to take him down while he is rocked.

Otherwise, he will probably just get picked apart.

I don't think Benevidez can win a striking match even if he gameplans, strictly due to Cruz' style, which is classical boxer like (doesn't engage, in/out, picks shots from range cautiously with sporadic exploding offense followed by a quick disengagement)

The UFC/WEC cage is like a 26 foot diameter almost-circle - a classical boxer's dream where he can't be cut off and always has a place to go.

If cruz uses good jabs benavidez has no chance.

I don't think Benevidez can win a striking match even if he gameplans, strictly due to Cruz' style, which is classical boxer like (doesn't engage, in/out, picks shots from range cautiously with sporadic exploding offense followed by a quick disengagement)

The UFC/WEC cage is like a 26 foot diameter almost-circle - a classical boxer's dream where he can't be cut off and always has a place to go.

they need to make the cage smaller definitely

benavidez had some early success in the first fight with leg kicks, he wasn't actually outstruck as badly as I remembered after rewatching it

they need to make the cage smaller definitely

why? to give wrestler a even bigger advantage? nah....

benevidez better take him down and choke him. only way he's gonna win

Benavidez has next to nothing for Cruz on the feet.

Am I the only one who thinks Cruz' standup is really ugly/ awkward/ weird looking? I understand it's effective, and obviously he's hard to hit, but just the way he dances around, he looks stiff, throws sloppy looking punches, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good fighter, but am I the only one that doesn't think his striking is very aesthetically appealing? I thought he won the fight and all, but it just doesn't seem like he hits very hard, and IMO the best offensive facet of his game are his takedowns.

His footwork is retarded. A lot of his movements seemed to be waste of energy as it didn't throw Benavidez' timing off enough miss with those short hooks when Cruz pranced his way on the inside.

Benavidez outstruck him this time in my book. Good fight.

Your book is meaningless when compared to actual facts.

Cruz outstruck Benavidez in sheer numbers, as well in percentages.

I figured Dominick would play the outside game like he did with Brian, but he was keeping his posture inside to land body kicks and takedowns.

Obviously, it worked, but he could have honestly spent 25 minutes pecking Joseph to parts. Pity.

Am I the only one who thinks Cruz' standup is really ugly/ awkward/ weird looking? I understand it's effective, and obviously he's hard to hit, but just the way he dances around, he looks stiff, throws sloppy looking punches, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good fighter, but am I the only one that doesn't think his striking is very aesthetically appealing? I thought he won the fight and all, but it just doesn't seem like he hits very hard, and IMO the best offensive facet of his game are his takedowns.

youve probably just been brought up on Bullshit MMA MFS standup as opposed to actual unique, improvised striking.

Cruz is beautiful to watch for those of us who have been striking for a long time.

youve probably just been brought up on Bullshit MMA MFS standup as opposed to actual unique, improvised striking.

Cruz is beautiful to watch for those of us who have been striking for a long time.

I don't see what's impressive with his striking? Where was his jab? Where was his reach? Where was his range? Where was his combinations? His footwork reminds me of Rashad's excessive head movement against Machida.

I don't see what's impressive with his striking? Where was his jab? Where was his reach? Where was his range? Where was his combinations? His footwork reminds me of Rashad's excessive head movement against Machida.

Cruz's footwork is amazing, the the problem with jabbing from inside your opponent's posture is that it leaves you open to counters, especially from someone coming out from a southpaw stance, and takedowns.

He used his reach and range perfectly which is why he won the striking portion of the fight.

Improvisation takes knowing "the basics", and Cruz improvises and dominates.

where were the body punches from benevidez?

cruz has such a thin long midsection so ripe for the punching

^ Yes..I too was disapointed in the lack of inside work displayed by Benevadez. Leg kicks were missing also, as was overall punching power. I agree with several posters regarding Cruz's "style"....he does appear awkward...but it seems to work for him. I wanted to see Joseph close the distance with leg kicks and wade into the pocket, where Cruz's long body would be readily available for gut and liver shots. Overall...I enjoyed the fight.

Benavidez outstruck him this time in my book. Good fight.
One of the judges seemed to see it that way too. I think his unorthodox stand up makes it difficult on a judge, to score cage control and aggression in his favor.

While it is certainly an odd, high energy style of stick and move, it is effective. Hard to time, hard to get off combos, hard to setup the TD on.

Back