crows can use three tools in sequence to achieve goal; never seen before in non-humans

I saw this documentary where an old guy living in the middle of nowhere would drive into the nearest town to get breakfast & read the newspaper. One day he noticed a raven was following him along the drive, back and forth. This became a regular thing. He started leaving food out for the raven on top of his car. Then one morning he came out and found his car was started, and waiting for him. Then every morning it was. The raven had been watching him, and then one day went into the car and turned the key which he always left in the ignition. The documentary crew set up a camera in the car and captured the raven doing it. Pretty amazing.

Yo is this for real

New Caledonian crows are very intelligent animals. Excluding us, the New Caledonian crows are the only other animal that improve ideas for problem solving, known as the ratchet effect i.e as a group, they teach and learn to copy eachother to build bigger and better tools. There's no concrete evidence of other animal species besides humans that can show this ratcheting up effect to make it more and more sophisticated.

These crows are able to make hooks, an ability that not even our closest relative, the chimpanzee, has mastered. This species is not just famous for its tool-making abilities. These crows have also solved a number of sophisticated cognitive tests which suggest that this species is particularly intelligent.

That's incredible.

Ravens are mad clever. Research has shown that they will locate dead animals, and then gather to make distinct calls which summon large predators, such as bears and wolves.

They do this because they're not capable of penetrating the hides of said cadavers. The wolves and bears, having learned said calls, respond and tear the corpse up to a condition, while eating, that makes it suitable for the ravens to feast.

It's considered somewhat of a synergistic relationship, but it's really just the ravens using the larger animals as tools for their own means. Sometimes they'll even pester the larger predators and steal parts of the meal.

Quite impressive.

"You wanna know what they're callin' at? ... I mean are these crows somethin', or are they somethin'? ... This murder, is good. You wanna know what they're callin' at? ... Us. The W-O-L-V-E-S. The whole pack of us. We just got made."

"You wanna know what they're callin' at? ... I mean are these crows somethin', or are they somethin'? ... This murder, is good. You wanna know what they're callin' at? ... Us. The W-O-L-V-E-S. The whole pack of us. We just got made."

Lol awesome.

BTW, crows do kinda crew up like they're Neil and his men. If you watch them you'll notice that they'll often times station sentries in the trees while others of the murder forage for food on the ground. I've observed this behavior first hand, it's mad cool.

Quoth the raven: "She's a whore!"

hqdefault.jpg

BTW, crows do kinda crew up like they're Neil and his men. If you watch them you'll notice that they'll often times station sentries in the trees while others of the murder forage for food on the ground. I've observed this behavior first hand, it's mad cool.

They are also have monogamous hearts kinda like Neil's crew does. "For me, the sun rises and sets with her" Ravens link up with a mate for life, and if one of them dies, the other one will usually just fly solo for the rest of its life.

They are also have monogamous hearts kinda like Neil's crew does. "For me, the sun rises and sets with her" Ravens link up with a mate for life, and if one of them dies, the other one will usually just fly solo for the rest of its life.

That's cool. I respect that. Guess the 30 second rule doesn't apply to those guys.

Recent research has certain species of ravens as a bit smarter than chimpanzees.

Back