crows can use three tools in sequence to achieve goal; never seen before in non-humans

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://phys.org/news/2009-08-crows-tools.html#nRlv
http://phys.org/news/2009-08-crows-tools.html#nRlv
Video at link.

New experiments by Oxford University scientists reveal that New Caledonian crows can spontaneously use up to three tools in the correct sequence to achieve a goal, something never before observed in non-human animals without explicit training.

Sequential tool use has often been interpreted as evidence for advanced cognitive abilities, such as planning and analogical reasoning, but this has never been explicitly examined.

In their new study, the Oxford scientists tested seven captive New Caledonian crows on a range of tasks requiring the use of up to three different tools in a sequence to retrieve food. Five crows successfully used tools in a sequence (four from their very first trial), and four repeatedly solved the most demanding three-tool condition. In this, food was placed at a depth so that it was only reachable with one particular tool, but getting that tool required the use of two other others. The crows had to use a short, available tool to drag in a longer, otherwise out-of-reach tool, and then use that longer tool to retrieve the correct, longest one. They could then use the longest tool to reach for the food morsel.

Pre-training on each element in the sequence was not required for successful sequential tool use - an explanation that could not be ruled out in earlier studies on primates and crows. Painstaking analysis of tool choices, tool swapping and improvement over time allowed the team to conclude that successful crows did not probe for tools at random: for example, when birds swapped tools, it was usually to get a longer one. At the same time, however, they could find no firm evidence to support previous claims that sequential tool use demonstrates analogical reasoning or human-like planning.

While the ability of crows to use three tools in sequence reveals a competence beyond that observed in any other non-human species, including non-human primates, this study also emphasises the importance of a cautious approach in comparative cognitive science. Seemingly intelligent behaviour can be achieved without the involvement of high-level mental faculties, and detailed analyses are necessary before accepting claims for complex cognitive abilities.

Amazing stuff. We're discovering that all kinds of animals are tool users, including grizzly bears and crocodiles. Also crocodiles climb trees. :eek:

We just recently hired a crow to work in the mailroom. He's doing a better job than the two other mentally challenged employees that have working there. I see big things in this kids future.

We just recently hired a crow to work in the mailroom. He's doing a better job than the two other mentally challenged employees that have working there. I see big things in this kids future.

That’s racist!

I saw this documentary where an old guy living in the middle of nowhere would drive into the nearest town to get breakfast & read the newspaper. One day he noticed a raven was following him along the drive, back and forth. This became a regular thing. He started leaving food out for the raven on top of his car. Then one morning he came out and found his car was started, and waiting for him. Then every morning it was. The raven had been watching him, and then one day went into the car and turned the key which he always left in the ignition. The documentary crew set up a camera in the car and captured the raven doing it. Pretty amazing.

Crows like to eat acorns but cannot crack open the hard shells, so they drop them in front of passing cars so they can run over them and break them open for them....however, they learned to do it only at traffic lights/signals, for they give them a break in traffic so they can walk out into the street and recover the nuts

I saw this documentary where an old guy living in the middle of nowhere would drive into the nearest town to get breakfast & read the newspaper. One day he noticed a raven was following him along the drive, back and forth. This became a regular thing. He started leaving food out for the raven on top of his car. Then one morning he came out and found his car was started, and waiting for him. Then every morning it was. The raven had been watching him, and then one day went into the car and turned the key which he always left in the ignition. The documentary crew set up a camera in the car and captured the raven doing it. Pretty amazing.
there are so many fantastic jokes i'm going to have to pass on here. sad

Is this real? Do you remember the name?

Notify me when they learn how to stop shitting on everything.

Is this real? Do you remember the name?

Yeah it's real. I saw it on the Discovery channel like 10 years ago. Looked for it on youtube recently but couldn't find it.

Ok that's fucking crazy. I had no idea they could do something like that.

Yeah it's real. I saw it on the Discovery channel like 10 years ago. Looked for it on youtube recently but couldn't find it.

Yea I just tried looking for it couldn't find it.

I saw this documentary where this old man would drive into town to get breakfast and read the newspaper. One day he noticed this raven was following him every day . It's was amazing, this camera crew set up camera's in the house and it turned out the crow would make sure the old man was busy eating and would double back and do his wife. Think the documentary was called cheaters... I may have got bored watching the documentary and changed channels to a show called cheaters. I was pretty drunk at the time can't remember.

I saw this documentary where this old man would drive into town to get breakfast and read the newspaper. One day he noticed this raven was following him every day . It's was amazing, this camera crew set up camera's in the house and it turned out the crow would make sure the old man was busy eating and would double back and do his wife. Think the documentary was called cheaters... I may have got bored watching the documentary and changed channels to a show called cheaters. I was pretty drunk at the time can't remember.

Quoth the raven: "She's a whore!"

Quoth the raven: "She's a whore!"

She told the old man she liked the fact that the crow could do 3 things at once... At his age he couldn't compete with that kind of multi tasking in the bed room .

I saw a documentary on crows too, but in South Africa, in a violent town a certain area was known for having shooting incidents and it also happened to be in this area where the crows would hang around or whatever it is they do when not starting car engines.

Anyway, the crows noticed that the police would come roaring down the road in their pig carts and eventually go back to the cop shop.

After sometime these pigs noticed a shit ton of crows standing right on the door steps and ledges of the police station and everytime this would happen they'd get a call about a shooting in that violent area.

So now when the gang of crows show up the filthy coppers get in their black and whites and book it to criminal town to arrest black people (or whatever they say).

I used to have a little parrot , smart little guy . Amazed all the time by his antics and improved memory. I used to hate birds and then I fell in love with one.

New Caledonian crows are also the first species (other than people, not including Trump supporters) observed creating and using hooked tools.

Back