Crosstraining

Mojorisin99

Green Belt
Reaction score
Most people I have talked to says its never to early to begin crosstraining. My question is, how much crosstraining is too much. Starting in December I am joining an LA Boxing club and will be training this schedule every week.

Judo - 2x
Boxing - 2x
MMA (JJ, Judo, Kenpo) - 3x
Mui Thai - 2x

I have about 4 months Judo experience and 2 months boxing. Would training all these styles at once cause a mental overload? Should I take something out of this routine?

What are your goals? Competing in mma? Something else?

Yes I would like to compete hopefully in the future. Probably in a couple years. Right now I just want to become a well rounded fighter and improve my conditioning.

I do a fair amount of cross training regularly: grappling, aikiwaza, boxing, tkd. Although, most of it except for grappling is mainly for the cardio components (to prevent boredom). For a while, it ended up being a total of 12 practices per week! That was a mistake I think... But besides being extremely tired all the time, I just got really confused about my footwork.

Do Boxing + Muy Thai and JJ + Judo overlap enough where it won't confuse the heck out of me?

Mojorisin99 said:
Most people I have talked to says its never to early to begin crosstraining. My question is, how much crosstraining is too much. Starting in December I am joining an LA Boxing club and will be training this schedule every week.

Judo - 2x
Boxing - 2x
Mui Thai - 2x

I have about 4 months Judo experience and 2 months boxing. Would training all these styles at once cause a mental overload? Should I take something out of this routine?

That would be too much for me. And it's Muay Thai, not Mui Thai.

Personally I feel that if you like to compete in the sport of mma, either at an amateur level or professional, you should start to train the -sport- mma from the begining. For me that means an integrated system where you are puting together standing, takedowns and groundwork from the whery begining. And perhaps do some extra training on the side in the area that you find most fun or most suitable for you to speciallise in.

If on the other hand you have the goal of first compete in say bjj, and then afterwards take the step to mma then I think you should focus on bjj first.

And that program is a hell of a lot of volume. I would get rid of the so called "mma" since it apears to be the lest usefull for actually competing in mma. If your body can handle it replace it with conditioning and strength training.

judo/ boxing/ and muay thai all have different stances for standing up.... Mixing of the three is going to be trouble

Look at all the greatest guys in the game.. They have ONE game that is their solid backgroudn and then they mix everything else together. Become a champion in one thing before you try to be a champ in everything.

So you are training 9x a week? That is insane. I would just do 1 striking art and 1 grappling art, but that is just me. If you like it, continue doing it.

I agree with the others. too bad wrestling isnt offered. To me its the #1 undisputed king of deciding range. After you figure out what range you are best at then you become great at it and round yourself out with the other style.

Here is an example.

Wrestling 1st(if available) when you become good enough to takedown most anybody and good enough to defend well most any takedown move on to another styel. Say you are a natural on the ground then become great at BJJ. When you get a solid foundation in BJj tjhen you can cut it down to 2 or 3 times a week and pick up say Muay Thai or boxing the other 2 so you can at least defend strikes on your feet.

Just my opinion.

rodigo gracie told me the difference between the pros and the amateurs is that the pros have one thing(ie BJJ, MT, wrestling or boxing) which theyre a stud in and the rest they work to improve on.

crosstraining is good but you'll never become an expert at one discipline. and that schedule looks like it'll be brutal on your body. IMHO, if youre gonna cross train, work either MT or boxing with BJJ with a stronger emphasis on one discipline. take into account that you will also need to work on general conditioning as well so read up on some good workouts tha'll offer you sport specifc strength & wind because with crosstraining, you'll be putting your body through all sorts of torture.

good luck

Well, I'm looking into doing some MMA at some point in the late future, so my focus is on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu as my main art. I've done years of Taekwondo and a bit of Judo in the past, and I'll be starting up some kickboxing in the new year, so...

I thought about something like that. The club that i will be starting next week has a bunch of stuff. I eventually just decided to do bjj 3X a week and boxing 2* (maybe 3 eventually)...

I'm not one for extra conditioning, but I defnitely make room to strength train 3 X a week as well.
You have to consider mental overload as well as physical. Taking more diverse classes means less time in depth in each one. Personally I think I would feel frustrated at the slow pace that I would be moving in each. Yeah, you're learning a bunch of stuff, but you will be owned by every other newbie as they are specializing in each one. I know that honestly, I would have problems ego wise with that.

Plus, unless you have hellacious recovery abilities or you dn't work, your body will be beat up after all that traning...

Judo and bjj fit together very well (2 aspects of the same game) so you could do 2X a week each and have no confusion. oxing and MT not so much. I would stick to one grappling ( or judo +bjj) and one striking. Or just do the MMA full bore and then add classes as you see your weakneses.

Mojorisin99 said:

Judo - 2x
Boxing - 2x
Mui Thai - 2x

What are the names of your judo, boxing, mma, muay thai clubs and address/location please?

Back