crossfit when preparing for mma

shouldercharge

Dave Camarillo idoliser
Reaction score
i'm 5'9 195lbs(88kg) 14-15%b fi havent done any sort of resistance training for about 4 months.
my current lifts are none to impressive.

dead 140kg
squat 160kg
bench 80kg
ohp 60kg

i can only do about 6 chins last tme i was training heavy i was doing reps of 5 +20kg so needles to say im pretty disapointed with my self especilly with pulling strenth being so important for judo and my last tournament of the year coming up this week.

after the judo tournament i'm going to be switching my focus to mma and my schedule would be as follows-

monday evening muay thai,mma,
tuesday muay thai,bjj
wensday no-gi rolling,judo
thursday muay thai.mma
friday judo
saturday muaythai,mma
sunday(morning) boxing private

i'm hoping to have my first fight in the next 3-4 months.
i wont to throw in some resistance training nd was thinking of crossfit the affiliate i would attend spends 15mins of each session focussing on a lift(squat,bench,ohp,DL,BOR,power clean,snatch) before doing the workout of the day.

i want to dedicate three days to resistance training would crossfit be worthwhile? my form on most exercises isnt great so the fct that i'd be closely supervised the whole time is a bonus plus i'd be getting functional strength plus conditioning in one.

Crossfit is a great way to increase strength and endurance and I would def. recommend it. My gym does CrossFit classes every day and all of our fighters train in Crossfit. I'm planning on taking my first fight in the next 6 or so months and starting next week will be adding Crossfit into my training.

1239352594281.jpg

do it and then quit it after you've attained some good gpp from it and get on a real sports training program

wow,a serious reply thats great would appreciate some more

the affiliate i would attend spends 15mins of each session focussing on a lift(squat,bench,ohp,DL,BOR,power clean,snatch) before doing the workout of the day.

i want to dedicate three days to resistance training

I'm sure you'll get monstrously strong dedicating a whole 45 minutes per week to strength training. Go for it, brah.

I can't take this shit seriously. I think the heavies are organizing a raid of stupidity in S&C.

ShoulderCharge said:

Doing Crossfit is better than not training strength.

There are a variety of objections to Crossfit as a training supplement for athletes:

1. It's tailored towards general physical fitness. You are already training (it looks like from your schedule) something like 10 hours a week of martial sport. You could make an argument that general physical fitness is NOT something that you are lacking in (even if you lack the skills at the moment to do Crossfit workouts).
2. The variety of skills trained in Crossfit makes it harder to get good at any one of the skills, and may retard strength gains.
3. The programming of Crossfit WOD isn't designed around you, and there's not a lot of flexibility for you to tailor the program significantly to be based on your needs.

Last edited:
Doing Crossfit is better than not training strength.

There are a variety of objections to Crossfit as a training supplement for athletes:

1. It's tailored towards general physical fitness. You are already training (it looks like from your schedule) something like 10 hours a week of martial sport. You could make an argument that general physical fitness is NOT something that you are lacking in (even if you lack the skills at the moment to do Crossfit workouts).
2. The variety of skills trained in Crossfit makes it harder to get good at any one of the skills, and may retard strength gains.
3. The programming of Crossfit WOD isn't designed around you, and there's not a lot of flexibility for you to tailor the program significantly to be based on your needs.

thanks alot very helpful,i'm not looking just for strength gains but strength and conditioning.
Alot of people seem to think that conditioning plays just as much a role maybe even more so than strength in mma its often said that in low-level match ups the fighter with the best conditioning will win.i just want an idea of what i can do 3 mornings a week to get myself in the best shape possible to compete in mma.

thanks alot very helpful,i'm not looking just for strength gains but strength and conditioning.
Alot of people seem to think that conditioning plays just as much a role maybe even more so than strength in mma its often said that in low-level match ups the fighter with the best conditioning will win.i just want an idea of what i can do 3 mornings a week to get myself in the best shape possible to compete in mma.

I think the argument could be made that if you ware interested in strength and conditioning for MMA, that you should put together a program that is designed to help you with strength and conditioning for MMA, not simply adopt the Crossfit workouts that aren't designed for an MMA fighter.

My reply is serious. If you would use the search function, you would find that this topic has been done to death. It's even talked about in the FAQ.

You would be better off reading the "How to finally solve your conditioning problem" in the stickies above. Read EZA's posts, and buy his book.

As for Crossfit, it's better than nothing, but it is not a replacement for sports specific training. If you wonder why, there is plenty of info on the web for you to read. There are tons of threads here.

This is a good piece on crossfit and sports specific training:

‘Functional’ Cross Training vs. Specific Training: General Means General | AmpedTraining.com | Matthew Perryman, CSCS

Back