Crossfit, Olympic lifting and experience?!

schmerzwerk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, somebody here will try to kill me for the post but fuck it.

Is it possible that crossfit (or crossfit style workouts) are not that bad for martial arts than most of us try to make it? I basically base this opinion on my own experience. And in the 8 years of weight training (doesn

What are some typical cross fit workouts for a male looking to gain strength?

I'm not a fighter but if I was I would try to follow the principles from Ross Enamait's Infinite Intensity. Do you know how crossfits workouts compare?

it's not bad for mma. it's actually very good for mma. BUT the biggest gripe is that the workouts are not periodized. they are not specific. If you could properly organize crossfit exercises to your needs in a periodized approach leading up to an event or comp, then it would be cool.

There is no programming in Crossfit. If there is, it sucks. It's not like everyone knocks on all of the WODs. I've always looked at Crossfit as a random series of conditioning challenges.

You were powerlifting and then you gave that up for crossfit and got stronger? That is hard to believe.

I think one good thing about crossfit is that you do a variety of stuff. So although you won't get that strong, you'll get stronger than most people, and your conditioning will be better, etc. I think that is probably what you are experiencing. If you just did powerlifting before, it's no surprise that your conditioning would suck.

If Crossfit works for someone and helps them achieve their goals, or get closer to achieving their goals, great, good for them. But that doesn't change the fact that if someone actually planned their workouts around what they're presently capable of, and what their goals are, the workout would be more effective.

If Crossfit works for someone and helps them achieve their goals, or get closer to achieving their goals, great, good for them. But that doesn't change the fact that if someone actually planned their workouts around what they're presently capable of, and what their goals are, the workout would be more effective.

that's exactly what I was trying to say. end thread

I think that most people who do crossfit actually do have programming. I don't know many people who actually do the random daily WODs. Though I know wrestlers and fighters, not people who do crossfit for crossfits sake. Works for them and I have started recently and have noticed benefits.

That said, it's not a replacement for strength work, you still need strait strength work. If I had only enough time to do one, strength or crossfit style circuits, I would probably do crossfit stuff, but that's because I value conditioning over strength, and thats basically what crossfit is about (Even if the hardliners deny it).

I think that most people who do crossfit actually do have programming. I don't know many people who actually do the random daily WODs. Though I know wrestlers and fighters, not people who do crossfit for crossfits sake. Works for them and I have started recently and have noticed benefits.

That said, it's not a replacement for strength work, you still need strait strength work. If I had only enough time to do one, strength or crossfit style circuits, I would probably do crossfit stuff, but that's because I value conditioning over strength, and thats basically what crossfit is about (Even if the hardliners deny it).

Doing conditioning circuits =/= doing crossfit.

I suppose since I just do crossfit workouts that I have been given by my trainer, and they are all conditioning type things, but still looking at the website, over 75% of the stuff is focused on high rep muscle endurance stuff.

Tosa is right, a well designed program, with proper lifts, rep schemes, percentages, on and off days, and diet. Will work far better than any cross fit because it's fitted to your goals. Absolutely anyone can benefit from a well designed program designed for them. Cross fit on the other hand may not work as efficiently for everyone.

No disrespect to the sport of it, but that's just the fact of the matter.

I suppose since I just do crossfit workouts that I have been given by my trainer, and they are all conditioning type things, but still looking at the website, over 75% of the stuff is focused on high rep muscle endurance stuff.

You could take, for the most part, the same exercises used by crossfit, and train them in a manner generally emphasizing conditioning and strength endurance, and not have it be Crossfit. How exercises are programmed, periodization, progression, are all defining factors of training methods, systems, routines etc.

I don't think most people understand this. It's amazing how Crossfit was able to use branding to have people identify complexes and circuits as "doing Crossfit". Every business strives to be able to do something like that. What Crossfit lacks in programming, they definitely make up for it in marketing and business strategy.

I don't think most people understand this. It's amazing how Crossfit was able to use branding to have people identify complexes and circuits as "doing Crossfit". Every business strives to be able to do something like that. What Crossfit lacks in programming, they definitely make up for it in marketing and business strategy.

yeah seriously. I have met plenty of people that say they do a "crossfit type workout". No dillhole, that is just circuit training.

I don't really think that there's any inherently wrong with crossfit apart from the cult like mindset that they have. I did a little bit of reading on it and some of their philosophy makes sense, but their adamancy about crossfit being the only and/or best way to get into shape where you can run a 10k and help your friend move heavy furniture seems ignorant at best. I see no reason why lifting and running couldn't accomplish the similar goals to crossfit, general physical fitness.

Also, I have to agree with the lack of programing. It appears to me that these are random conditioning challenges and even to the untrained eye one might draw a comparision between Sherk's caveman training and crossfit, the difference of course being that CR is done "daily" whereas the caveman session is done weekly (iirc).

I do crossfit regularly, but I find it works best when you also have a workout strictly for strength as well. For me, doing crossfit without having a strength program causes me to have sick conditioning but my strength tends to go down a little.

There is no programming in Crossfit. If there is, it sucks. It's not like everyone knocks on all of the WODs. I've always looked at Crossfit as a random series of conditioning challenges.

Crossfit is a philosophy or movement more than a program. GOOD crossfit gyms DO have specialization. It's all of these "crossfitters" doing those "crossfit" wods that give it a bad name.

However, it is no different than guys who follow WSFSB and don't actually know how to periodize.

IMO, crossfit is great and if you go to a competent gym and join, you'll be surprized at how educating training there will be. I love the way they break everything down into a science.

Not saying that you specifically have never been to a good cf gym, or don't know what your talking about, because i've never met you and that would be...

Office-Space-Jump-Conclusions.jpg

Crossfit is a philosophy or movement more than a program. GOOD crossfit gyms DO have specialization. It's all of these "crossfitters" doing those "crossfit" wods that give it a bad name.

However, it is no different than guys who follow WSFSB and don't actually know how to periodize.

IMO, crossfit is great and if you go to a competent gym and join, you'll be surprized at how educating training there will be. I love the way they break everything down into a science.

Not saying that you specifically have never been to a good cf gym, or don't know what your talking about, because i've never met you and that would be...

Office-Space-Jump-Conclusions.jpg

Ahhhhh, the all elusive "good" Crossfit gym.

Looking at the crossfit forum, really everyone there just does exercise, whether it be strength training, conditioning circuits, gymnastics/skill training, etc. and calling it "crossfit." A lot of the people do 5/3/1 and more do crossfit strength bias, which is just doing a main lift, followed by a short, heavy circuit that emphasizes what was trained that day. It's incredible how all these people are just lifting weights and consider it "crossfitting"

"Crossfit is the principal strength and conditioning program..."

"Our program delivers a fitness that is, by design, broad, general, and inclusive. Our specialty is not specializing."

What is CrossFit?

I wouldn't want to learn "science" from any place that makes the following statement (from the same link above):

"The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree not kind."

Back