Crossdx and AsianValetudo, some gloves on the way!!

Okay, the gloves have arrived!

They actually got here before I left for my session, so I was able to take a pair to train with.

Okay quick first impressions.

Title Platinum 16oz trainer. A bit of a disapointment. I would call them Titles version of Ultimate Classics. They are actually BIGGER than the UC's and the leather used is reminiscent of the UCs as well. On this initial impression I believe it will be easy on the fists and sparring partners. Its a bit of a wash between these and everlasts, but the everlast definately have a smaller profile, which I prefer. Even though the Platinums are big, they really dont feel that way, where as the UC's do.
Big padding, easy to make a fist.

Pro Mex 10oz fighters. Okay, the glove has a weird leather. Its hard to explain. It almost looks like cloth. The glove seems to have a lot of padding. The leather and padding is flexible, and at this point the glove is very open in the hand and you have to move the top of the fist down a bit to form a fist but it is not difficult. I may let my nephew use these as bag and pad gloves, and the 14oz everlast be his sparring gloves.

Title GEL World Training gloves 16 oz. WOW. Look great. Nice flexible leather. Easy to make a fist. Excellent construction. Ive got high expectations of these gloves. I will probably buy another pair (red this time) for a bag and pad pair.

Pro Mex 16 oz Lace ups (as all these gloves are). Okay. Excellent construction. The leather is very much like the leather used on my Cletos. The padding even feels a bit like the Cletos. They are great looking gloves. I love the triple cuff. Easy to make a fist, unlike my real Cletos, and definitely not like Grants. They are smaller in profile than any of my other 16oz gloves save the flores and everlast, which are very close.
Okay. Working the heavy bag. The padding on the gloves are very good. Not great but pretty dam good. I typically go 100% with every shot. Even the Jab, but its still with proper technique, which means Im not putting too much shoulder into it turning it to a left straight.
Now since I have my injury in my left hand, Id swing hard but pull it. But with my right hand Id go hard as I could. Every once in a while it would smart, but only like 3 or 4 times at most. No pad work today, I went 8 rounds on the bag (and broke the speed bag, oops![it was already broke from some kids messing around with it]) as my coach just had surgery and his other student didnt show up to work pads.
Are these as good as the winnings for bag and pad work? No. Winnings are incredible for that. In their own league. I will have to try the GELs and see how they compare.
Are these good for bag and pad work? Id say they are more than adequate and do very well in that respect, but with the GEL gloves out, that may be a better option, that arent $200 winnings gloves. Also I think theyd make a great sparring glove as well. These versus the everlast, is close but.... I feel the ProMex is more like a handcrafted glove, and the everlast a well manufactured glove. The leather is superior on the promex, It feels better, the padding is better(more and a bit more soft) the cuff is very soft and flexible, as well in the top side or ribbed side. Its about even on fist make-ability. Id have to hit the mitts to give a practical impression, but the pro mex edges out the everlast in construction and feel. The everlast is a great glove though. It has nothing to be ashamed of.

Im debating buying a ringside Reyes just to compare to this very well made replica.
I prefer these to Grants and Mexican Market Cletos.

Im really impressed, and will give more impressions of the GELs soon.

i'd really like to hear more about the promex, i've been looking for a new sparring glove and had been debating between ringside's Imf, and the pro everlasts, but if the title gels are better i might have to buy them again( i had them breifly for about 2 weeks and some guy decided to walk off with most of my gear which included title gels and my a platinum title head gear, all in all i was only left with bag gloves the title gel bag gloves which have served me well)

Have you used the Grants before KShaft? What did you like and dislike about Grants and Mexican Cletos? I would say dont spend your money on the Ringside Cletos as I did and totally regretted it. I disliked them so much and I thought all Cletos were like that and I never wanted anythng to do with Cleto reyes again

Thanks for the impressions, KShaft. The Pro Mex 16s and the GEL gloves sound promising. Fill us in on anything more you learn about them.

Btw, how's the hand compartment size on these gloves? And how big is the profile of the GEL training gloves?

i'd really like to hear more about the promex, i've been looking for a new sparring glove and had been debating between ringside's Imf, and the pro everlasts, but if the title gels are better i might have to buy them again( i had them breifly for about 2 weeks and some guy decided to walk off with most of my gear which included title gels and my a platinum title head gear, all in all i was only left with bag gloves the title gel bag gloves which have served me well)

Well thats a hard choice for me too. I love how the gels look and feel, but they are a bit bigger than the pro mexs or everlasts, not bad but still sometimes that little bit makes a difference.

Sorry to hear about someone walking off with your shit.

Man I train in a bad part of town, down by MLK BLVD in Cleveland Ohio, Guys will ask to borrow my stuff and they wont walk off with it. Hopefully Im not jinxing myself.

Have you used the Grants before KShaft? What did you like and dislike about Grants and Mexican Cletos? I would say dont spend your money on the Ringside Cletos as I did and totally regretted it. I disliked them so much and I thought all Cletos were like that and I never wanted anythng to do with Cleto reyes again

Yeah I tried the grants shortly The padding and leather was stiff and it was very difficult to make a fist.

The Mexican Cletos are thin on the padding and have a rediculousy wide fist pocket. My coach would not let me spar with them. He let another student spar me with an old pair of everlasts though that have seen bad and pad work :(

I have small hands so it is just not an optimal fit. may fist is way in on the inside. My pinkie knuckle is to the inside of the E on the Cleto on the glove.

I like em , its just not a match.

Thanks for the impressions, KShaft. The Pro Mex 16s and the GEL gloves sound promising. Fill us in on anything more you learn about them.

Btw, how's the hand compartment size on these gloves? And how big is the profile of the GEL training gloves?

Id say the hand compartment is average. The Gel profile is slightly smaller than the title Platinums. Kinda big but I dont mind as they are very nice. Wore em sparring yesterday and it was like they werent there. I should have let my partner wear em, those gloves he was wearing were a few years old, and he hit me with a shot to the eye through my winnings head gear. Had to be hard ass gloves.

Id say the profile is similar to my cleto reyes gloves. But the fit is much better so the compartment is smaller.

The Mexican Cletos are thin on the padding and have a rediculousy wide fist pocket. My coach would not let me spar with them. He let another student spar me with an old pair of everlasts though that have seen bad and pad work :(

I have small hands so it is just not an optimal fit. may fist is way in on the inside. My pinkie knuckle is to the inside of the E on the Cleto on the glove.

Man, that is just biased on the part of your coach. Oh well, I guess thems the breaks.

Thanks for the info on the Title GEL's fit. As for how the Cletos fit and the issues you brought up, you're spot on. The interior is as wide as you'd expect looking at the glove's physical size. I have average size hand for my height, which is small since I end up wearing bigger gloves due to my weight (hence the 18oz), and there was a lot of extra room around the sides of my fingers. The good thing is the knuckle area didn't have as much space, which would've been a bigger issue, and I have thick palms and wrists, so other than the finger pocket, the rest of the glove felt comfortable. I will be doing some bag and padwork with them tomorrow and I'll let you guys know how they feel afterwards.

Pro Mex 10oz fighters. Okay, the glove has a weird leather. Its hard to explain. It almost looks like cloth. The glove seems to have a lot of padding. The leather and padding is flexible, and at this point the glove is very open in the hand and you have to move the top of the fist down a bit to form a fist but it is not difficult. I may let my nephew use these as bag and pad gloves, and the 14oz everlast be his sparring gloves.

KShaft, need your advice on these gloves. How does the leather feel? You said it looks like cloth, but does it have a texture like cloth or normal leather? That comment kind of confuses me, to be honest. As for the padding, the site description mentions it's a foam/horsehair combination. Have you tried hitting pads with them? How much protection do they provide? Do they fit snug, or loose? I'm getting some pro fight gloves over the next couple of weeks, and this is one of the candidates so far, so any more info would be really helpful and appreciated.

just a different suggestion-as for pro fight gloves, I have not tried on Grants or Reyes Pro fight gloves but I have tried on Ringside's 10 oz pro fight glove and honestly, it is the most comfortable glove period I have ever worn. It even beats the Winning 10 oz pro fight glove. For that reason, I had to get one of them.

Interesting... thanks for that info, ASiAnVaLEtUDo. I'll check those out too.

Crossdx, I know its a strange description but its the best I can do. I mean its leather, but its not fitted real tight. I mean its pleanty secure but it doesnt feel stretched out. I havent hit pads with em, but Id bet theyd give you very good protection. One of the posters on boxing forums.com said the glove looks and feels like a poor mans grant (saying that is the best fight glove he has owned) but he also liked the ringside glove a lot as well.

Heres a review that included the ringside glove;

Pro Fight Glove Analysis - Everlast, Ringside and Reyes. - Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums

Im still waiting for Dan Mosby to write me back. Very unpredictable....

From this and AVT recommendation Id go with the ringsides or Grants but you can get the ringsides for half the price.

Back