Cross legs (armbar)

Our school (GJJ) teaches not to cross them for the main reason that they don't want us in the habit of crossing our feet due to some crazy moves that can be done to your crossed feet. Whether or not those moves can be done to me while I'm armbarring someone is debateable, but I think they just don't want us to be in the habit of crossing them at all if it isn't necessary to execute the move.

Generally you don't but apparently it's okay if you cross your feet if the leg closer to his legs is hooked underneath the guy's tricep and over your other foot in order to block them from escaping (by turning away)

I got the crossing feet part from Braulio Estima's instructional, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do it "wrong" lol

Its good technique and habit to leave them uncrossed. You are supposed to squeeze your knees together and push your hip up and its makes it alot harder to do it with your legs crossed.

I agree if I'm tryin 2 armbar some on my own height,however as I'm short with short legs if some has a broad chest I cross my legs as it would be difficult for me to get my feet to ground.

it depends on the situation. Rickson sometimes crosses, Roger sometimes crosses. It all depends on the situation. One way crossing is used to bow the leg and redirect your opponent's head so you don't get stacked.

I don't understand why so many people are saying to pinch the knees together when crossing the ankles. You are supposed to pinch the knees together if you DON'T have the ankles crossed, but the whole point of the crossed-ankles control is to pull the opponent's shoulders forward (which in itself secures the arm), which to me seems impossible to do while also keeping the knees together, and furthermore, when the ankles are crossed, you get a much stronger cross-face from flaring the knees apart, as leg-pressing away from you to keep his head down would also negate the entire point of the crossed ankles.

Am I taking crazy pills here?

EDIT: Mind you, I am talking about the conventional armbar here (from mount or back control), not the triangle armbar.

Last edited:
I don't understand why so many people are saying to pinch the knees together when crossing the ankles. You are supposed to pinch the knees together if you DON'T have the ankles crossed, but the whole point of the crossed-ankles control is to pull the opponent's shoulders forward (which in itself secures the arm), which to me seems impossible to do while also keeping the knees together, and furthermore, when the ankles are crossed, you get a much stronger cross-face from flaring the knees apart, as leg-pressing away from you to keep his head down would also negate the entire point of the crossed ankles.

Am I taking crazy pills here?

EDIT: Mind you, I am talking about the conventional armbar here (from mount or back control), not the triangle armbar.

I agree 100%

The crossed ankles provide tightness, control of the shoulders and with those two things comes the leverage needed to attack the elbow. Flaring the knees instead of squeezing them together gives head control and flattens your balance out on top. Pulling your legs to you, tightens it up, gives you a better leverage point and hoists the shoulders up. Much like one would when sitting in a high mount, squeezing the knees together to isolate an arm.

Leg pressing with ankles crossed negates the whole thing, leaving you as a plank on top ready to get pushed off. Leg pressing with ankles crossed gives the opponent a possibility to peel your feet off and/or sit up.

The fact is that crossing the ankles is an entirely different way to armbar someone. NOT a wrong way. However, the amount of control needed for it is very different and possibly a bit more difficult to get your head around, than the regular knee squeezing.

I don't always cross. But when I do, it's because I'm basically given that control. I cross when the opponent defends rigorously. This leaves him defending more than he's escaping and usually gripping with his other arm, giving me space to lock behind his shoulder.

I don't understand the controversy with this technique.

Cross your feet to draw in the far arm if he's defending.

I never cross my legs because it reduces the amount of downward pressure that you can apply. Most armbar escapes will involve sitting up, unless you are very flexible and can turn under. To prevent this you need to create downward pressure on the neck and jaw to prevent the person from sitting up. Second if they create a figure four and grip your ankle they can move your legs out of alignment much easier then if your ankles were not crossed.

Never EVER cross them! Straight legs, hug the body, press thighs together is the key. Traps the arm.

I never cross my legs because it reduces the amount of downward pressure that you can apply. Most armbar escapes will involve sitting up, unless you are very flexible and can turn under. To prevent this you need to create downward pressure on the neck and jaw to prevent the person from sitting up.

Try flaring (opening) your knees instead of leg-pressing. This applies plenty of downward pressure when the ankles are crossed. Crossing the ankles also stops the hitchhiker escape 90 % of the time.

Second if they create a figure four and grip your ankle they can move your legs out of alignment much easier then if your ankles were not crossed.

Again, only if you're applying the pressure by leg-pressing, or if you cross the ankles the wrong way. The foot of the leg that is across the face goes under the foot of the leg that is across the body.

I never cross my legs because it reduces the amount of downward pressure that you can apply. Most armbar escapes will involve sitting up, unless you are very flexible and can turn under. To prevent this you need to create downward pressure on the neck and jaw to prevent the person from sitting up. Second if they create a figure four and grip your ankle they can move your legs out of alignment much easier then if your ankles were not crossed.

this has already been posted, but I'll add some..

I cross my legs and flare my knees. I usually also have a so called "deep hook" with my arm and I hook their leg so no matter if they sit up a bit, they won't get to their knees.

And if they DO sit up, I'm totally fine with that. I'll release the crossed ankles for a second and push out sharply with the top leg, pushing them down and helping me break their grip at the same time. No position is 100% static.

Why is it so hard for people to get that this way to armbar people is totally fine. (If you know what you're doing)

this has already been posted, but I'll add some..

I cross my legs and flare my knees. I usually also have a so called "deep hook" with my arm and I hook their leg so no matter if they sit up a bit, they won't get to their knees.

And if they DO sit up, I'm totally fine with that. I'll release the crossed ankles for a second and push out sharply with the top leg, pushing them down and helping me break their grip at the same time. No position is 100% static.

Why is it so hard for people to get that this way to armbar people is totally fine. (If you know what you're doing)

its not wrong to cross, if the foot over the head is under the cross, not above its fine. You can do the test yourself. Some situations is necessary, it avoids your opponent to push your leg, bring his head back and go back to the guard. The most import thing is squeezing knee, hip, thumb up and put pressure with the behind part of your leg against your opponent's head.

Bustamante showing it here exactly, as I tried to describe:

Murilo Bustamante ensina armlock da chave omoplata.wmv - YouTube

i like to cross to hold the position and get a good grip going for my armbar, when im prying the arm out ill uncross so i can grind my thigh in his face and take his arm out at an angle.

just my preference, i couldnt tell you which one is better but i think whichever one works for the individual is the way to go.

Bas use a canopener to escape the triangle, I remember seeing the move and trying it while rolling (Iwill never try it again).

By the way, uncrossed unless they grab their own hand.

Some instructors teach that escape. What happened when you tried it?

Our school (GJJ) teaches not to cross them for the main reason that they don't want us in the habit of crossing our feet due to some crazy moves that can be done to your crossed feet. Whether or not those moves can be done to me while I'm armbarring someone is debateable, but I think they just don't want us to be in the habit of crossing them at all if it isn't necessary to execute the move.
That is not the reason they teach you not to.cross your feet.

Back