Cross legs (armbar)

I-Shoji said:
Np.

Don't agree with the statement that this allows them to sit up. Ive never had someone be able to sit up in that situation, and I'm a 165 lbs guy who grapples primarily 180+ guys. Besides, I also believe in bending the arm so his thumb points down to his feet and hipping into it at an angle, so he can sit up all he wants. This also prevents spinning out squirreliness, and incidentally comes off the Bas Rutten DvD's.

So that piece of info is good at least :p

Bas shows a few ways of getting out of the triangle on his new dvd's, all of which are pretty basic solid techniques. Perhaps the video you saw was old stuff, but the new dvds clearly were collaborated on with people who knew more about grappling then Bas.
That's a really good idea. Can't wait to try it.

the reason your NOT supposed to cross your legs is because he can roll into you and out of the arm bar much easier when you do that. If you don't cross them and pinch your knees together then he can't roll as easily. But if he guaranteed to you that he wouldn't roll and try to get out of it, then the crossed version would give you more torque.

I don't cross. Apparently, some guys can and will do nasty shit to your feet if you have them crossed after they stack you. I personally have no knowledge of this first hand, but my ex coach, who is crazy, but knows his shit, has vowed that he will never let a student think that crossing the feet is okay. Go figure.

hamoom said:
if i cross my legs, i usually try to cross my feet under their opposite shoulder. it's impossible for them to spin out of the armbar when that shoulder is stuck

Yeah, as an addition I cross my leg that's across the body over the ankle of the leg that's across the head so it's harder for him to push my leg off his face

Dedicado said:
I don't cross. Apparently, some guys can and will do nasty shit to your feet if you have them crossed after they stack you. I personally have no knowledge of this first hand, but my ex coach, who is crazy, but knows his shit, has vowed that he will never let a student think that crossing the feet is okay. Go figure.

If they start to stack uncross right away and go back to guard.

Migo, do you think the knee joint is what would get locked out by keeping them crossed?

Haven't seen anything that would suggest that, but I also wouldn't have expected the twister to blow out someone's knee either, keeping them crossed makes you susceptible to achilles locks and toe holds depending on the position they're in, crossing your ankles makes less space for you to get your leg out of any lock and you also don't have your other leg to push off with.

From guard - uncrossed legs = more pressure between knees; the leg that's on his head has to create more pressure by bringing the heel towards your own butt.
From mount - uncrossed legs = more leverage for the arching; better control over his body.
Uncrossed legs > crossed legs

Asel1 said:
how does he escape? is it a circus move or sumthing??

Bas use a canopener to escape the triangle, I remember seeing the move and trying it while rolling (Iwill never try it again).

By the way, uncrossed unless they grab their own hand.

DreamKeella said:
Bas use a canopener to escape the triangle, I remember seeing the move and trying it while rolling (Iwill never try it again).

By the way, uncrossed unless they grab their own hand.

Can opener is an option to escape the triangle, wouldn't be the first one I'd chose but it can work.

migo said:
Hard to roll when you're stacked, that's kind of the point of stacking.

its more difficult ,but if u flexible enuf and u move right its kinda easy .

The way I learned it, is that you don't cross your feet when you're doing an armbar from the guard, but it's okay to cross them if you're doing an armbar from the mount. When you're doing it from the guard, you need to have the leg that's on his neck applying downward pressure, to stop him from being able to get a good balance and pick you up or stack you.

migo said:
Can opener is an option to escape the triangle, wouldn't be the first one I'd chose but it can work.

It's a little more then the can opener. I think you've missed the more important element, which is sprawling down on him.

It's actually a good escape if you have some weight on the guy who is triangling you. You stack him keeping the arms from crossing and the choke from being sunk. Fold him on top of himself as much as you can bending his legs back over him with your hands controlling his hips so he doesn'tr turn sideways or switch to an armbar. Now quickly grab the back of his head with both hands and sprawl down on him as you pull on his head. Literally flatten out on top of him and the pressure of his hips being forced up as his head is pulled down will make him have to release the triangle attempt.

Has worked very well for me and I'm usually the lighter guy in the equation.

I-Shoji said:
It's a little more then the can opener. I think you've missed the more important element, which is sprawling down on him.

It's actually a good escape if you have some weight on the guy who is triangling you. You stack him keeping the arms from crossing and the choke from being sunk. Fold him on top of himself as much as you can bending his legs back over him with your hands controlling his hips so he doesn'tr turn sideways or switch to an armbar. Now quickly grab the back of his head with both hands and sprawl down on him as you pull on his head. Literally flatten out on top of him and the pressure of his hips being forced up as his head is pulled down will make him have to release the triangle attempt.

Has worked very well for me and I'm usually the lighter guy in the equation.

NICE!

Believe me, this does work.

There are some schools that are die-hard fanatics about not crossing your legs.

I've got to say though, that crossing my legs seems to give me more torque, and I've never had anybody throw my leg over their head and roll into my guard when I cross.

When I don't, they are much more likely to escape.

That being said, I have big, heavy legs. Maybe if I didn't, the angle created between my knees (as a result of crossing my legs) would create space and loosen the hold.

Does that stand to reason?

There are some schools that are die-hard fanatics about not crossing your legs.

I've got to say though, that crossing my legs seems to give me more torque, and I've never had anybody throw my leg over their head and roll into my guard when I cross.

When I don't, they are much more likely to escape.

That being said, I have big, heavy legs. Maybe if I didn't, the angle created between my knees (as a result of crossing my legs) would create space and loosen the hold.

Does that stand to reason?

tdk_tdk probably is a black belt by now...

and lol @ Pride still existing.

for what its worth, Bas always says on the pride shows to cross the legs, i find that depending on how the guy is trying to get out, both work fine

Back