Cross collar chokes

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by 206warrior, Aug 16, 2010.

1. 206warrior

206warrior Purple Belt

So guys in my gym seem to love cross collar chokes. What are some good defences to a strong cross collar? I normally just use my forearm to bend their elbows, then break grip, or posture. But today, I got collar choked on my feet. It was kind of embarassing. I am the youngest in my club, and i got bum rushed by a stronger, way older guy, and collar choked on my feet. What are the best ways to go about defense. Thanks guys.

2. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

well first of all you have to address the grips immediately. don't let them get deep. but once they have the grips sunk in, one defense is to gable grip their arms together and look up. that should break their grip.

there's also another technique where you weave your arms through their cross choke and put the back of your hand on your cheek. Kind of hard to explain, hope you can visualize it.

3. 206warrior

206warrior Purple Belt

Thanks for the help man. I'm having more trouble visualizing the gable grip technique.

4. Higher Learning

Higher Learning Brown Belt

don't let them get the second grip

5. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

I guess I should have been more clear. This is in reference to when you are in your opponent's guard.

Pretty much clasp you hands together right over his arms and squeeze. This will bring his arms close together so he can't pull your collars apart sinking in the choke. Once you have his arms pushed together, you just look up and his grip will be broken. I'll try to find a video or maybe someone else can be more articulate.

6. Cojofl

Cojofl Brown Belt

nor the first one

7. Explosion Man

Explosion Man Blue Belt

I love the way you try to justify by stating that you were younger and weaker.