1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

cross collar choke in side control

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Tru2DaGameJ21, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Tru2DaGameJ21 Blue Belt

anyone have a vid i can watch this at, got sub by a blue belt earlier and curious is seeing how he did it to prevent it later cant find nothing on it and he wont tell me how he did it :D and before i go ask my instructor would like ur input thank you

2. tysnw Brown Belt

Are you sure it isn't a baseball bat choke?

And usually all my training partners are super open about what techniques they use. I don't see any point in hiding a technique, it's not like you're competing against each other..grow as a team.

3. sandmann Orange Belt

Ya you bluebelt partner isn't helping you or himself by not teaching you the technique.

4. Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

Agreed. What a douche. I never hesitate to show anyone anything I've ever gotten on them.

We get better by having better training partners...plain and simple.

5. Wrestleben Brown Belt

It was probably more of a paper cutter choke.

6. Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

I've seen a cross collar, one that Roy Dean actually shows, but it's hard to enter starting from side control. You have to set it up when still in their open guard.

You get a deep cross collar grip while controlling the sleeve...much like the basic cross collar/same side eeve control you might have when someone is in your closed guard...and you do the Margarida pass right up the middle. If you fall to the side control side, rather than mount, they tend to turn into you...and they walk right into a cross collar.

7. Wrestleben Brown Belt

It still seems the bottom hand would be more just "holding" and most of the choke would be done with the top hand grip. I might have to watch the Roy Dean video again.

8. Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

Purple belt requirements, in the guard passing section.

And yeah, I agree with your assessment. I'd call it a papercutter with conviction.

9. Russo93 Yellow Belt

There is a variation where you wrap there gi around there arm, and then go to knee on belly and get the cross collar with their gi that is wrapped around their arm. I can't seem to find the video though :/ it is definitely a cross collar choke though, but a tad hard to explain in words.

10. Wrestleben Brown Belt

I love that choke. While in KOB you have a great angle to do many different versions of cross chokes. While in side control, you lose the angle needed and most of the chokes end up being papercutter variations or setups to transition to other positions (like KOB, north/south, etc).

11. KahleyTriangles Blue Belt

That's Robson Moura's Little Hand technique that opens up the world in terms of collar chokes, whether cross collar or not. Sets up a pretty nice mounted triangle too.

12. Russo93 Yellow Belt

Yessir, good stuff. There are so many cool things you can do once you have one arm wrapped up.