Crosley Gracie Interview

excuse my ignorance of portugese - is his name pronounced chosley?

single r at the beginning of a word or double r in a word = h
Written vs approximate pronunciation
Rickson - Hickson
Barra - Bahha
Porra - Pohha

single r in a word = r
Portugal - Portugal
Brazil - Brazil

he is the only gracie i've seen with decent stand-up. he was bringing it to gono in the early round. it was weird. very "un-gracie"like striking.

cool interview btw. wish him well & revitalize his mma career, but i guess it's not his priority atm.

Interesting quote here:

"My Dad, as well as most of his brothers learned Jiu-Jitsu from Helio during his teen years."

It's interesting that a lot of the guys of the Carlos lineage from that generation actually studied and trained under Helio.

For example, if someone were mapping out Crosley's BJJ lineage, most people would put Carlos Sr. --> Rosley --> Crosley. But that's really more of a genealogical lineage, rather than BJJ. Wouldn't you really start that with Helio?

Interesting quote here:

"My Dad, as well as most of his brothers learned Jiu-Jitsu from Helio during his teen years."

It's interesting that a lot of the guys of the Carlos lineage from that generation actually studied and trained under Helio.

For example, if someone were mapping out Crosley's BJJ lineage, most people would put Carlos Sr. --> Rosley --> Crosley. But that's really more of a genealogical lineage, rather than BJJ. Wouldn't you really start that with Helio?

helio was quoted something like " Carlos never taught his children, I did." or something.

helio was quoted something like " Carlos never taught his children, I did." or something.

Right, but I think that only applies to Carlos' children as Helio said. Carlson, Rolls, etc. trained under Helio. But their children mostly trained under their fathers and uncles, rather than Helio.

Right, but I think that only applies to Carlos' children as Helio said. Carlson, Rolls, etc. trained under Helio. But their children mostly trained under their fathers and uncles, rather than Helio.

i think helio was too old to teach in-depth, hands-on jiujitsu to the 3rd gen. chances are them young'ins were taught by rolls(rip), rorian & rickson & the kids just call the academy as "helio's place" since that was(is?) the center of their family's art. & maybe some of the gracie wives don't like mats in their living room & forced their husbands to do that jiujitsu at their uncle's place.

Interesting quote here:

Crosley got his black belt from Ralph not Rosley his Father.

single r at the beginning of a word or double r in a word = h
Written vs approximate pronunciation
Rickson - Hickson
Barra - Bahha
Porra - Pohha

single r in a word = r
Portugal - Portugal
Brazil - Brazil

"POHHA" back to you J Sho! :icon_chee

Interesting quote here:

meh, but carlos taught helio.

Back