Cro Cop's first fight - unfinished business

MMAfanWA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
1421940287.png

As a fan, the re-signing of the legendary Mirko Cro Cop left me deeply, deeply confused. The famed Pride warrior left the UFC in 2011, having amassed a 4-6 record in two stints in the organisation, with knockout losses to Gabriel Gonzaga, Roy Nelson, Frank Mir and Brendan Schaub, a decision loss to Cheick Kongo, and a verbal submission to Junior Dos Santos in a fight he was nowhere near winning. Those knockouts, particularly Gonzaga's vicious head kick, shattered the myth of Cro Cop as an unstoppable kicking machine. He was arguably never the same after that fight.

He returned to kickboxing with a bang after leaving the UFC, winning the 2012 K-1 Grand Prix against an admittedly weaker field than during his first stint in K1 a decade earlier. He joined Glory, where he went 1-1, before returning to MMA. Since then he's fought four times, with his only loss coming to now UFC heavyweight Oleksiy Oliynyk via scarf-hold submission. He won the IGF heavyweight belt in Japan last year and defended it, beating Satoshi Ishii twice by stoppage. It seemed he could and would continue competing in weaker competitions... then Bellator came calling. But before Scott Coker could sign Mirko, he was snatched up by the UFC for his third stint in the organisation.

It speaks volumes of the UFC’s newly-found desperation to give nothing to Bellator. The UFC believed they could afford to let a man like Kimbo Slice sign with Bellator, given his dubious skill set. Mirko Cro Cop, even at 40, is a far bigger draw than Kimbo. However at 40 years old and after nearly two decades of giving – and taking – vicious amounts of damage, you have to wonder exactly what he has left in the tank. Generally speaking, the body gives out long before the fire, the desire to compete, dies. Smart fighters know when the jig is up, but if Mirko still thinks he has what he takes, who are we to disagree?

Something massive would have to happen for Mirko to make a legitimate run at the title. If he’s fit and healthy, as he claims to be, there’s no reason he couldn't crack the top 10, but I can’t see him making it much further. He could go on a tear against lower-ranked fighters, but he's going to run into trouble sooner or later. So how do you bring Cro Cop back in the right way? One word, my friends.

Pride.

If you look at the UFC heavyweight division, it throws up a few options. For starters, there are intriguing rematches for the taking against Alistair Overeem, Josh Barnett and particularly Mark Hunt. But for my money, there is only one opponent that makes sense for both Cro Cop and the UFC. That opponent is Big Nog. The two have met before, at Pride Final Conflict 2003, with the Brazilian stopping Cro Cop in the second round via armbar. For all his profile and legendary wars, Big Nog is on the decline, and with the damage he's taken over the course of his career, you can't imagine he has too many fights left in him. He's said himself 2015 will likely be his last year in the game. A rematch between the two Pride legends, possibly at the Saitama Super Arena, would make perfect sense. It may well be a fond farewell for Nog, and a warm welcome back for Cro Cop.

Source - Cro Cop has unfinished business

Last edited:
Agreed. Also, Big Nog said he wants a retirement match. It would be perfect.

Whoever he fights in his return should either be a really money making fight or an easy fight. They wanna drag out this gravy train considering that CroCop can't string together wins or even win at all

Big Nog is a solid option for his first fight back. Arlovski is another interesting option as they still haven't fought.

Kinda sad that the UFC is signing guys like CM Punk and a washed up Cro Cop because they have a dwindling amount of current stars. Guess that's what happens when you have too many weight classes and too many fights.

I think they brought in Mirko for CM Punk. A very unusual match up but as good as a hype machine Zuffa Entertainment is....people will eat this up like ice cream. I'd watch too.

He has to rematch Nog. Hopefully this time Nog's corner won't be allowed to spill water on the mat between rounds

I think they brought in Mirko for CM Punk. A very unusual match up but as good as a hype machine Zuffa Entertainment is....people will eat this up like ice cream. I'd watch too.

Isn't CM Punk going to be middle or welterweight?

I'd watch for sure and root for Big Nog, can't say enough about that man.

Why do fans want to see Cro Cop and Nog fight each other? Do you guys really want to see two fighters way, way, way, past their prime give each other brain damage?

Let it go guys, just let it go. I won't watch any fight with Cro Cop or Nog in it because i don't have any interest in watching these guys take any more damage then they already have. Legends need not to go out this way

Why do fans want to see Cro Cop and Nog fight each other? Do you guys really want to see two fighters way, way, way, past their prime give each other brain damage?

Let it go guys, just let it go. I won't watch any fight with Cro Cop or Nog in it because i don't have any interest in watching these guys take any more damage then they already have. Legends need not go out this way

I am not particularly eager to watch any of them taking any more shots to the head, but the thing is they want to keep fighting at least once in Nog's case, so why not against each other

Let it go guys, just let it go. I won't watch any fight with Cro Cop or Nog in it because i don't have any interest in watching these guys take any more damage then they already have. Legends need not to go out this way

I'd rather see 2 40 year old legends going at it, than pumping some up and comers' scores.

CC vs Arlovski seems like a fight that should have happened a long time ago, make it happen Dana

CC vs. Bob Sapp for the newly formed UFC SHW title belt!

If Sapp beats Mirko, "It's over Johnny!"

CC vs Arlovski seems like a fight that should have happened a long time ago, make it happen Dana

I remember when they both fought at UFC 70 and Mirko got his head ripped off.

...and Arlovski got a boring decision over Werdum.

Since Cro Cop stated there's some rematches that he really wants. Lets get right to it and do CC vs Gonzaga. I'm been following CC career for ages but the honest truth he was not himself in the UFC previously. He had numerous injuries (fought Nelson with a torn right bicep) but most of all was VERY passive and throwing pretty much no kicks at all. It seems to me his mind is right and has no injuries so I'm looking forward to this. Yes I'm a huge CC fan but it's my honest assessment.
If they can't do Gonzaga we have AA, Struve, Rothwell, Big Nog, Shaub, and Hunt available but I wan't the Gonzaga fight (as do most of CC fans). I would second for the Shaub rematch because he wouldn't beat CC in a rematch.

i'm a fan, always will be. i'm up to see him fight anyone but mark hunt seems to peek my interest the most.

I'd rather see 2 40 year old legends going at it, than pumping some up and comers' scores.

This.

Couture/Big Nog was an awesome fight. They were both at the same level and it made for a great fight.

After, when they fought guys that were younger or on another level, they looked old, slow and sad.

Cro Cop needs to be fighting guys like Gonzaga, Rampage, Barnett and Big Nog. Keep him away from Cain, JDS and even guys like Mitrione.

Back