Cro Cop vs Mir

DECAPITATION

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So how does the stand up forum think this fight will play out on the feet.I believe that with Mirkos tdd and Mirs not so great wrestling that this is the position in which the fight will be won or lost.Personally I think Mirko still has enough left in him to win in the stand up but a few things still worry me about the scenario_One being that from the sparring videos it looks like Mirko has a hurt right hand,which would not worry me that much if he was fighting a orthodox fighter like he has in most of his fights but the fact that he is fighting a southpaw in mir means that his right hand should be his major offensive tool.Also I'm worried about him over using the left low kick because based off of the amount of footage that frank has watched he should know that whenever Cro Cop fights a southpaw he usually tries to destroy his opponents lead leg so I'm hoping that Frank does not see it coming and catch it.Im also curious as to whether or not Mirko will throw the switch right head kick as opposed to the left.So what are your thoughts/predictions

I forsee this being alot like the Kongo fight.

Then I hope Mirko brings a titanium cup.

Unless you meant mir vs kongo in wich case you could be right but I do believe that the faked shot to an over hand left is one of the major things that Mirko has been training against and will be aware of.

Last edited:
I do believe that the faked shot to an over hand left is one of the major things that Mirko has been training against and will be aware of.

Agreed. Mirko has been wary of being played by wrestlers ever since the Randleman kayo.

As for the fight itself, I really feel that Mir's "improved striking" is yet to be validated. He showed decent boxing fundementals in the Nog fight (nothing amazing technique-wise). In fact, the main reason ppl flaunt his "striking" is cause he faked Kongo and managed to hit him flush on the jaw in the process.

On paper, Mirko should rape Mir.

Unfortunately, considering the state of mind CC has showed in his last couple of fights, I wouldn't be surprised if he crumbles mentally.

At any rate, I believe that a good, technical striker (such as JDS or Cain) would devour Mir. His stand-up skills are overrated imo.

Yea I think we are looking at this fight the same way.This is one of the best stylistic matchups for Mirko in the UFC it really only comes down to how much is left In him.

Another thing I cant wait to see is wich direction Mirko will circle I know his #1 go to move maybe even above the lhk is this counter he does where he circles to his orthodox opponents power hand and when they fall for the bait and throw the right cross he slips to the outside and counters with a straight left he has done this in almost all of his fights.so maybe for once we will see Mirko circle away from the power hand of his opponent.Also Im curious as to whether or not frank will have any new combinations for this fight or will he stick to his straight left switch step uppercut again.

Ever since his Wanderlei Silva KO, except for mismatched opponents like Perosh and Mizuno and Al Turk, Crocop's striking just looks NOTHING like he did in k-1/pride.

Yeah we keep hoping, but realistically there's no indication that old crocop will ever be back. Sad but those are the facts...

Ever since his Wanderlei Silva KO, except for mismatched opponents like Perosh and Mizuno and Al Turk, Crocop's striking just looks NOTHING like he did in k-1/pride.

Yeah we keep hoping, but realistically there's no indication that old crocop will ever be back. Sad but those are the facts...

Sadly, I must agree with this man.

The ~30 pounds Mir has on CC will also be an issue, especially when it goes to the ground (which it probs will, it's what Mir will be aiming for at least)

I'd like nothing more than CC to suddenly get a Pride flashback and KTFO Mir with a kick to the head, but I doubt it will play out that way.

I cant remember the last opponenet I saw Cro Cop face. (I was dissapointed) But I can say this. It doesnt matter who he fights if he doesnt put together some kind of
combination. The last time I saw him fight it was all 1 MAYBE 2 punches at a time and a left kick as an afterthought.

That's a text book example of how not to fight by cro cop.

Yea this fight only went to show how far Mirko has declined.Mirko did easily stuff the takedowns like I predicted and he did win the few half hearted striking exchanges that occurred besides the end. Very unfortunate it happened that way so late into the fight.I just wish he would have retired after the Barry fight.However if Mirko wants to go out with a win he should fight big nog next.

quoted for fail.

Is Matt Serra a better striker than GSP? is Russow a better striker than Duffman? Knocking someone out does not make you a better striker. Could Mir hang with Ernesto Hoost, Remy Bonjasky, Andy Hug etc? Nope. Crocop is still the better striker. Is he past his prime and completely a different fighter? yes. Quote me all you want, doesn't change the fact that on a technical level Crocop is the better striker, whether he got KO'd or not.

I rest my case.

I never was a fan of pride, so i did not follow Crop Cops career. But his striking in the Octogon has been a disaster. Lazy half hearted strikes, punches non existent, pushing opponents away with open hands ( he fingers one dude in the eye), no clinch work or in fighting, left head kicks that can be seen from a country mile away, etc.

Mir striking > Crocop striking

How were you not a fan of Pride? how!?!

Mirko of now just has no fighter spirit, but before his shit performances he was considered bar none the best and most devastating striker in MMA history. I'm so sick and tired of this fucking forum and having to give everybody history lessons, Jesus Christ.

^^
The fact that he is past his prime is why he is a poor striker. You can't seperate the two. The baddest striker on the planet is no longer the baddest on the planet, if he is 90 years old, wearing a diper, eating oatmeal.

That's just turning a mole hill into a mountain. On a technical level, Mirko is still a supreme striker skillwise, who would you rather have as a striking coach, Frank Mir or Mirko Crocop?

How were you not a fan of Pride? how!?!

Mirko of now just has no fighter spirit, but before his shit performances he was considered bar none the best and most devastating striker in MMA history. I'm so sick and tired of this fucking forum and having to give everybody history lessons, Jesus Christ.

Towards the end of his Pride career, Mirko's technique had devolved to the point of pot shots, and straight leads. He made up for the lack of technique with great explosiveness and overall speed.

Cro Cop looked terrible but he was losing the fight because Mir had no intentions of standing with him and hugged him for the entire fight using his weight to wear down Cro Cop and was eventually able to knock him out. The fight proves little regarding how both men fare against each other in a pure striking match.

Meh..*shrugs shoulders*

That ring turned me off, all that resetting. Those Japanese ring girls were a turn off too. Add to that the Japenese anouncers. Could never understand what those little guys were talking about.

The jumping stomps, knees to the head of a ground opponent, crazy wars, huge characters, no elbows so a lot of faster paced fights, insane entrances, awesome fighter intros, great production, the best broadcast team.. fuck couple of resets turned you off from all that?

Mmm japanese ring girls.

Back