Cro Cop vs Couture

I think if Cro Cop beat Gonzaga he would have gone to beat Couture. I think Cro Cop would have landed something to hurt Couture at some point and get a TKO. That kick from Gonzaga took his soul.

I think CroCop simply was not ready for elbows on the ground, and that is why Gonzaga dazed him setting up the ko. That set CroCop into a losing streak.

If CC had taken better preparation for UFC rules, he would have ko'd Gonzaga and Randy.

Couture would always be the favorite against Cro Cop. Couture is too good at implementing his gameplan on a fight. And his particular skillset and intangibles would be tough for CC to handle. I see CC getting wore down, confused, and frustrated before folding in the later rounds.

The match up I was looking forward to tho was Sylvia vs Cro Cop. That was a UFC/Pride dream match at the time. And both got beat lol.

Cro Cop came to the UFC without even training in a cage....And fighting in America is a whole new ball game with how much weight cutting plays in....Cro cop always had good take down and some good clinch work...If he moved right and kept a distance...randy would have been koed by lhk

It's a fight that strongly resembles Randy vs Chuck. I'm not sure which one, but it's a very similar matchup. Randy is very smart. He was in Japan doing commentary for nog/crocop. He watched no struggle to get crocop down. Randy knew back then how to beat crocop. he kept saying that Nogueira needed to create openings by pressing forward with strikes. Of course, Nogueira did that in Rd 2 and the rest is history.

I'd pick randy via ud or maybe a very late tko. Of course, crocop had seen all 3 chuck fights, and he would have his own plans. I just think randy would have been too much back in 07. Mmath is weak, but Gonzaga went Straight through randy, and 4 months later, randy wentry straight through gonzaga.

I think CC lands the straight left and ends Randy's night. But Randy was one of those guys you couldn't underestimate.

I still never understood why Cro Cop had to fight Gonzaga or Eddie Sanchez, he had already won the Pride Tournament and should have received an automatic title shot.

Anyway Cro Cop by TKO round 2. It would have been awesome to Mirko as the UFC HW Champion.

After the GP win Cro Cop was basically ready to retire having culminated his career. His ranking earned an instant title shot but his actual performance against Eddie Sanchez showed that he needed the tune up fight.

Couture would have controlled him on the fence in the clinch. However if Crocop lands a body kick like Vera did on Couture, Mirko would most likely finish the job.

I wish they would've made this fight when Mirko joined the UFC, but I blame that on Randy.

agreed

Fight could still happen, if the money was right for Couture.

Cro Cop's passivity started at that point, easier to clinch control when he's not striking when there's an opening. Couture had great cardio too, could keep the pressure on for 5 rounds if need be.

make it a few years earlier when CC was attacking and stuffing shots from Coleman & Randeman, while giving Nog nothing for 10 minutes, and I give Randy a couple of minutes time to survive before the inevitable TKO.

cro cop stuffs randy and tko him(most likely)

I still never understood why Cro Cop had to fight Gonzaga or Eddie Sanchez, he had already won the Pride Tournament and should have received an automatic title shot.

Anyway Cro Cop by TKO round 2. It would have been awesome to Mirko as the UFC HW Champion.

He was offered a title shot after the Sanchez victory but it was his camp who turned it down and wanted another tune up fight.

Perhaps it was so he could get more comfortable in the cage or perhaps he wanted to milk out his contract, become champion and then be offered a much more lucrative contract.

Had he defeated Gonzaga then a CC Couture fight would of been a great old school grappler v striker. Couture's craftiness in the cage probably would of got him the W.

IIRC, Cro Cop wanted some easier fights at first due to being in a cage (and probably a mental and physical break after facing Barnett and Wanderlei months earlier), while at the same time never having trained in one.

e would have controlled him on the fecch. However if Crocop lnds a body kick like Vera did on Couture, Mirko would most likely finish the job.

I wish they would've made this fight when Mirko joined the UFC, but I blame that on Randy.

they offered Crocop the fight vs Randy after the Eddie Sanchez fights. Crocop chose the gonzaga fight because you wanted another warm up fight. you should learn what you're talking about before you speak.

they offered Crocop the fight vs Randy after the Eddie Sanchez fights. Crocop chose the gonzaga fight because you wanted another warm up fight. you should learn what you're talking about before you speak.

Is that right? Not saying it isn't, but as I remember it the UFC wanted a fight against Gonzaga to build up the hype, as Cro Cop didn't look spectacular against Sanchez, and they obviously expected him to decimate Gonzaga (as did the fans).

Both in their primes, Cro Cop would have smashed him. Just a horrible style match up. Both Mir and Schaub have said that Cro Cop is super strong and hard to control up against the cage. Mirko would just be too quick for Randy.

CC wasn't the same in that cage, so who knows. I'd go with him as he was still a killer at that point.

1st time I heard CC declined a fight.

Share a link with that info?

Back