Cro Cop needs to go down to LHW

Ultra GSP

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've always felt that Cro Cop was more of a natural LHW and I think now is a good time for him to move down. LHW will be perfect for him to fight in his striking range and with guys who are his size. This isn't the early 2000's anymore, HW's are just way too big, strong and skillful. Its the reason why all those PRIDE legendary HWs have fallen later in their careers.

I would agree if it mattered, maybe immediately after he won the Open Weight Pride tourney. He only weighed 219 pound fighting in that tourney and that was his best performance ever.

But it doesn't matter now, I can't see him having much of an impact on mma anymore

I've always felt that Cro Cop was more of a natural LHW and I think now is a good time for him to move down. LHW will be perfect for him to fight in his striking range and with guys who are his size. This isn't the early 2000's anymore, HW's are just way too big, strong and skillful. Its the reason why all those PRIDE legendary HWs have fallen later in their careers.

Pretty sure he's gained some weight as he's been getting older. Don't see this happening at this point.

way too late for that imo, he wouldn't be able to handle the speed

He probably stands a better chance against the slow, lumbering heavyweights than against anyone at LHW.

he's a very well muscled gentleman and i can't see him getting down to that weight division in the time he has left

he's got like a handful of fights max, he's not making a title run, so i don't see why he would do this

He is too slow for LHW.. plus if he never wanted to go down when he was nearly a LHW he would not do it now that he is like twenty pounds heavier!

This isn't the early 2000's anymore, HW's are just way too big, strong and skillful. Its the reason why all those PRIDE legendary HWs have fallen later in their careers.

Also, newsflash buddy, everyone falls later in their careers. And for that matter the PRIDE HWs did better in the long term than the UFC HWs from the same time.

he weighed 235 vs Ishii
I'd be happy if he got down to 230 since I think he's a little bit too heavy

In his K-1 and PRIDE career, he would able to, then he was usually around 200 lbs or less.

In UFC he climbed up to 235.

LHW div looks meaner to me at this time and matchups in HW are more interesting (Nogueira for example).

Last edited:
I think it's too late for cro cop bar his current hand picked opponents. He got old.

10 or 15 years ago Mirko might have been able to adapt and fight at 205. Now... he's too old. He's better off staying at heavyweight where age and speed aren't as a big a deal as at the lower weights.

I would agree if it mattered, maybe immediately after he won the Open Weight Pride tourney. He only weighed 219 pound fighting in that tourney and that was his best performance ever.

But it doesn't matter now, I can't see him having much of an impact on mma anymore

Agreed, I think that this point if he moves down to LHW he'll be far too slow for those guys. He's not going to be bigger then a guy like Anthony Johnson, and I think any of the top 5 LHW's out there right now put too much pressure on him and KO him, or take him down with relative ease. I was/am a huge Cro Cop fan, but he's been battling for a long time, and he's not as quick nor has the grit/chin of his younger years. The level of competition has significantly changed since the PRIDE days.

PS. WHAAAAT! BLACK BELT!!!!!

For a 40yr old to be going through a weightcut.... kind of a bad idea. If he's not fighting for another 9 months and changing his diet an training style, then maybe.

Back