Cro Cop in LHW

Brca031

Samsquanch hunter
@Blue
Reaction score
So after few beers with friends we started talking about MMA, and I showed my sherdog profile pic of Mirko and I started thinking about his tenure in the UFC.

It was not pretty to say the least.
You can say its his long and hard boxing, kickboxing career before MMA that got him battle worn,or maybe knee surgeries.
Maybe you think he was not “all that” in the beggining, a fossil in modern MMA...maybe its the octagon or whatever.
My thing is...I really think he wasnt a UFC heavyweight..and I know Randy was the champ when he got KOed by Gonzaga and Randy was a small HW but I think CC should have fought at LHW. It was his pride that made him not cut weight which I can respect, but he put alot of weight and became this trigger shy , dirty up against the cage ,boxer.
Its just my thoughts, I would have loved too see him at LHW.
Any thoughts?

I think it was HGH that made him not cut weight.

I can't be the only one

He had a stroke and he is retired and if u look at his IG he is still jacked.
When he got suspended he let em know he used HGH.

So after few beers with friends we started talking about MMA, and I showed my sherdog profile pic of Mirko and I started thinking about his tenure in the UFC.

It was not pretty to say the least.
You can say its his long and hard boxing, kickboxing career before MMA that got him battle worn,or maybe knee surgeries.
Maybe you think he was not “all that” in the beggining, a fossil in modern MMA...maybe its the octagon or whatever.
My thing is...I really think he wasnt a UFC heavyweight..and I know Randy was the champ when he got KOed by Gonzaga and Randy was a small HW but I think CC should have fought at LHW. It was his pride that made him not cut weight which I can respect, but he put alot of weight and became this trigger shy , dirty up against the cage ,boxer.
Its just my thoughts, I would have loved too see him at LHW.
Any thoughts?
He would have been destroyed

HW gatekeepers were abusing him

Cro Cop vs Rampage, Chuck, Shad, Forrest, Machida, Shogun etc
<mma4>

He never wanted to do it. I think the OGs didnt wanna make LHW money. In Japan moving down to LHW is pointless,and thats where them dudes came from. in K1 and PRIDE the game moved up to fight you.

He would do great, but I think at that time in his career he was already tired of everything.

And like Mirko said about moving to LHW: «that would be like running» (ducking).

Cro Cop and Liddell were both at their peak around the same time. That fight is one of the fights I would have most wanted to see, all-time.

Liddell v Cro Cop (2005)
Frank Shamrock v Dan Henderson (2000)
Pre-motorcycle Mir v Prime Nogueira (2004)
Aleks v Timmeh (2005)
Arlovski v Sergei Kharitonov (2005)
*BONUS*
Bas Rutten v Marco Ruas (1997)

I agree and to add to TS with all these weight-cutting issues going on, it's even more impressive he fought HW's and was crazy successful being undersized in most of his fights.

War Cro Cop forever!!!

Pre ufc mirko was a beast. Anyone who watched his career can see the obvious differences in his speed and movement before he even got to the ufc. Knee surgeries take a lot away when your best weapons are high kicks. He had to resort to more punching far more and even tho he was a very good boxer, he became far more predictable. Much like shogun losing to forrest,.It wasnt because they were over rated, but because they were on the downhill side of thier career and both had multiple acl/mcl procedures done that changed their ability to be fluid.
He could have easily made weight at LHW as he fought at a lesser weight than bones walks around at. Unlike jon, he has balls and fought guys that were in his natural weight class. He was a hard fight for anyone in the day. His striking was elite for sure. After someone like him has fought for so long and theres so much tape to watch, it makes it far easier for guys like gg to gameplan against him. Gg set that high kick up from the opening bell until he had mirko hurt from ground elbows, I Guaranteed it was the gameplan to throw that lazy jab repeatedly to set up the hk. He kept poking at him with it and mirko fell for the feint and ate the kick.
He also destroyed gg in rematch. The elbows on the ground by gg were a big factor as well, I remember Kirk post fight saying he was seeing 3 ggs from the elbows on the ground. Mirko had never fought where they were allowed or in a cage where he could be pushed against the fence. Hell the kongo fight he got kneed in the balls like 3 or 4 times. Alot contributed to his less than stellar record in the ufc, but in my opinion, his lack of mobility due to his knees was the biggest problem and the new rule set with elbows as well as the difference between the thing he fought his whole career in and the cage was big.
He relied on foot movement and speed when he was at his best. Compared to his days in pride he threw way way less kicks in general. His leg kicks were brutal and set up his body and the infamous left high kick well. Guys couldnt keep eating body shots or leg kicks from a guy with that power in them. Everyone knew the LHK was coming, but no one could really stop it effectively because of the low and body kicks that were flying.
He had to lose that and do more boxing which didnt turn out so well. I doubt he would ever fight at LHW because he is a badass in real life and always wanted the toughest guys he could get. He actually had multiple tko wins from leg and body kicks. Dont know of anyone else who can claim that many kick finishes. Having 30 of his 38 wins by ko is also pretty impressive.
I think a pride pre Fedor fight mirko beats bones and all other current LHW guys. I know he had 10 surguries from 1 dr. 5 on his knees alone. It's hard to get back to the level he was with all that stuff. Just like when shogun had both knees done, just was never the same after. People blow him off as an all time great, but in the day he was one of the best ever. Great tdd and striking above everyone around pretty much. Ko power from all his strikes pretty much. Speed was great until the injuries. When it was really "righ kick ..hospital, left kick. cemetary...its hard to say he wasnt a great fighter. He even learned BJJ very well from werdume and got sub wins after a few years. At LHW I think he would have dominated, but he was never one to take the easy road. A true badass...

He never wanted to do it. I think the OGs didnt wanna make LHW money. In Japan moving down to LHW is pointless,and thats where them dudes came from. in K1 and PRIDE the game moved up to fight you.
Mirko basically said that cutting weight was for pussies.

Cro Cop and Liddell were both at their peak around the same time. That fight is one of the fights I would have most wanted to see, all-time.

Liddell v Cro Cop (2005)
Frank Shamrock v Dan Henderson (2000)
Pre-motorcycle Mir v Prime Nogueira (2004)
Aleks v Timmeh (2005)
Arlovski v Sergei Kharitonov (2005)
*BONUS*
Bas Rutten v Marco Ruas (1997)
I think Mirko would have been too much for Liddell

Pre ufc mirko was a beast. Anyone who watched his career can see the obvious differences in his speed and movement before he even got to the ufc. Knee surgeries take a lot away when your best weapons are high kicks. He had to resort to more punching far more and even tho he was a very good boxer, he became far more predictable. Much like shogun losing to forrest,.It wasnt because they were over rated, but because they were on the downhill side of thier career and both had multiple acl/mcl procedures done that changed their ability to be fluid.
He could have easily made weight at LHW as he fought at a lesser weight than bones walks around at. Unlike jon, he has balls and fought guys that were in his natural weight class. He was a hard fight for anyone in the day. His striking was elite for sure. After someone like him has fought for so long and theres so much tape to watch, it makes it far easier for guys like gg to gameplan against him. Gg set that high kick up from the opening bell until he had mirko hurt from ground elbows, I Guaranteed it was the gameplan to throw that lazy jab repeatedly to set up the hk. He kept poking at him with it and mirko fell for the feint and ate the kick.
He also destroyed gg in rematch. The elbows on the ground by gg were a big factor as well, I remember Kirk post fight saying he was seeing 3 ggs from the elbows on the ground. Mirko had never fought where they were allowed or in a cage where he could be pushed against the fence. Hell the kongo fight he got kneed in the balls like 3 or 4 times. Alot contributed to his less than stellar record in the ufc, but in my opinion, his lack of mobility due to his knees was the biggest problem and the new rule set with elbows as well as the difference between the thing he fought his whole career in and the cage was big.
He relied on foot movement and speed when he was at his best. Compared to his days in pride he threw way way less kicks in general. His leg kicks were brutal and set up his body and the infamous left high kick well. Guys couldnt keep eating body shots or leg kicks from a guy with that power in them. Everyone knew the LHK was coming, but no one could really stop it effectively because of the low and body kicks that were flying.
He had to lose that and do more boxing which didnt turn out so well. I doubt he would ever fight at LHW because he is a badass in real life and always wanted the toughest guys he could get. He actually had multiple tko wins from leg and body kicks. Dont know of anyone else who can claim that many kick finishes. Having 30 of his 38 wins by ko is also pretty impressive.
I think a pride pre Fedor fight mirko beats bones and all other current LHW guys. I know he had 10 surguries from 1 dr. 5 on his knees alone. It's hard to get back to the level he was with all that stuff. Just like when shogun had both knees done, just was never the same after. People blow him off as an all time great, but in the day he was one of the best ever. Great tdd and striking above everyone around pretty much. Ko power from all his strikes pretty much. Speed was great until the injuries. When it was really "righ kick ..hospital, left kick. cemetary...its hard to say he wasnt a great fighter. He even learned BJJ very well from werdume and got sub wins after a few years. At LHW I think he would have dominated, but he was never one to take the easy road. A true badass...
As a huge MMA/kickboxing fan and as Cro Cop as my fighter of all time I can say that was a beautiful read. Well done friend.

Facts are:
that Cro Cop beat Wanderlei while Wand was Pride LHW champion.
Cro Cop also beat Sakuraba just 1 year after Saku was ranked as no. #1 LHW fighter in the world. (Untill March 2001 and Wand fight)
Cro Cop fought at HW his entire prime in K-1, and MMA in the range of 95-102 kg, he fought at HW in amateur boxing with weight of only 91-93 kg.

If fought in ring and Pride rules, judging by those facts, Cro Cop could have been LHW champion.

But of course he never wanted to cutt weight, and allways wanted to fight the best and strongest.

Last edited:
Nah, he had the skills to beat guys like Gonzaga and Kongo. Size was not really the issue. That much is pretty obvious given their respective careers.

He was just getting worn out and mentally something happened to him. Whatever. There are lots of great fighters who for some reason start flubbing suddenly.

He dismissed it numerous times. He prepared to be in his best shape, weight wasn't in the calculations. He was also of the opinion that heavyweights are at the top of the food chain and no matter how good you are or how many records you break in lower divisions, you know there is always a predator out there ready to eat you. I am of the same opinion.

Back