CRKT M16 (It's a knife, not a gun)

D Train

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I recently purchased a CRKT Pharaoh, but found it too heavy for EDC. However, I was so impressed with the knife that I purchased another better suited for EDC. This is the M16 02Z.
photo-9.jpg

photo-10.jpg

It is offered in a combo edge, but I opted for the straight edge. It's light and opens VERY easily with one hand. It has a sort knob on the back of the blade that you pull toward you with your index finger. The blade opens very quickly and immediately locks. It's not assisted open, but it's quite effective.
The M16 employs the AutoLAWKS system (which I actually like) as well as a frame lock. The knife can be closed one handed but so far I've found it to be cumbersome and slow. Perhaps with some practice, it will come easier.
The knife came sharp out of the box and feels solid for a light knife. It does have a removable pocket clip.
Let me know if you have any questions.

I could use Google but...

What kind of steel and how much you paid for it?

It use to be 400C, but it's recently been upgraded to it's AUS 4, 55-57 HRC.

It retails for around $60, but I found it for $25 on ebay.

I've had a couple M16 series knives and I've had two issues with them.

The smaller, thinner blades don't function very well, because the weight of the blade isn't enough without really whipping your arm and wrist, especially once there's a little friction on the teflon washer once it gets a little dirtier.

I've also had the back edge of the blade chip on the back side where it meets the frame lock. I think a piece of grit got in there and semi locked it while I was dressing a chicken. Whole blade flipped back and came apart while I was chopping a chicken bone.

Later, after I tried fixing it with no success, I got so annoyed, I threw it into a fire, at which point, the zytel scale starting emitting a noxious odor and I burned myself getting the fucker out. That was my fault.

I have a CRKT M16 12M for my EDC now, (well, I don't have an EDC because I'm stateside) but this will probably be my last CRKT once I find a knife maker that can put a chisel grind on the right side of the goddamn blade. Every US knife maker gets this wrong.

I use a CRKT drifter for EDC. It's a solid, cheap blade that I don't mind thrashing around. It has a < 3" blade, G10 handle, and weighs somewhere between 2-3 oz.

Nice a CRKT fan, I have a CRKT M16-13Z.

It's light and durable.

I also have CRKT Carson M21, I like the M-16 better though.

I'm considering getting a Triumph, but I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase. I mean, I've got a few knives and I'm not real sure what gap it would fill. Still, I want one.

Back