critique this match

Where's your gi?

Anyway, tell people which one you are, so they can critique you better. I don't understand nogi, so I'll pass.

Last edited:
A few criticisms if you don't mind. Note, I'm only pointing out the bad, because obviously you're not looking for pointers on what you did well.

-In the beginning, you nearly pulled mount. If you're going to pull guard, you don't want to give him too much space. You got the sweep points, but it was really more of him advancing to mount and you reversing immediately, or at least that's how it looked.

-When he stood up after escaping from bottom (around a minute in), you pulled guard. You need to keep track of who is on top and who is on bottom, because you're conceding position. Maybe that's just a tactical preference on your part.

-Overall, things just need to tighten up a little, particularly the top control, but that will come with experience. Nice job.

I watched a few of your fights - you need to work on your top control - you seem to get swept at will. That's my only real criticism

thanks for the feed back rambo, your right i effed up when i pulled guard lol, i will work on top control, hopefully more wrestling will help

I mean listen, if your guard is your A-game, there's nothing wrong in a competition with starting the match with a guard pull. Just be aware of the points is all. You don't want to let the other guy get 2 for a sweep.

Hi John,

-Your opponent did not have much good base, but either way good job on the sweep. However, you left yourself open to be passed had your opponent knew better. So, start thinking about how you can add control to your sweeps.

-For your passing, it's really the same idea: think about how you can apply greater pressure and control in your passing. Try to minimize any gaps between you and your opponent while passing. You don't have to pass as quickly as possible, rather, think about efficiency over speed.

-Think about how you can control your opponent's hips more effectively. He threw up that no-arm triangle because you allowed him too; had you kept your own hips low and pinned his hips to the ground, he would not have been able to turn and face you.

-I'm not sure exactly what guard you were going for after that scramble...looked like you were trying to go for a heel hook. ?_?

-Nice underhook with the halfguard, but you never capitalized on it...where was the hook-sweep? Where was the attempt to take his back?

-Again, your opponent has poor base and fell to his side, and you did a great job of coming up (I saw your scissor sweep, but a person with solid base would not have fell like that).

-Work on passing half guard. Really turn the smash on, get your crossface etc. Don't allow your opponent to recover full-guard so easily bro.

-You never really broke your opponent's guard, you just stalled and waited for him to open his legs. You have to work on breaking guard and posturing.

-(again, work on implementing pressure & control in your passing, no gaps! have good posture too)

All in all, it looked like you have some decent sweeps, but just work on the things I mentioned. Keep up the good work, train hard my friend,

Arun

it hurt pretty bad but i knew if i just chilled, he would gas his arms/legs, i wouldn't be able to forgive myself if i tapped with no arm in lol

It was a bad silly technique and I would be embarrassed in my corner yell stuff or my coach taught stuff like that.

In a way, I became suspicious of the technical level of your opponent.

People still believes in using pain move but it never works.

One thing ItsArun mentioned is what really stood out to me: a basic problem with your guard passing. You basically threw his legs to one side and tried to pass, which doesn't really work, as you can see in the video. You need to be more patient and more controlling. Stack him, really apply pressure, and you can take your time passing; if you do a good job of this at a certain point your opponent often actually helps the pass to relieve the pressure. When you have a controlling set up for a pass like that don't turn it into a race.

Back