Critique my workout routine

Guardian09

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey this is my first post so i'll introduce myself before I ask my question. I'm 19 years old. I've been working out since my sophomore year in high school. I'm 6'0 220 lbs and about 15% body fat. anways on to my question.

I'm currently doing jim wendlers 531 program. I do bench press&deadlift on monday.
Squat&military press on thursday.I add powerclean as a fifth big lift and do that on Tuesdays. I'm trying to incorporate a strongman type circuit into my workout routine. I was thinking it would be best to add them on saturdays. Does this sound like i'd be overtraining at all?

Is the question about adding a strongman thing or does it pertain to the rest of the post?

If you did a strongman or conditioning stint on saturdays it might not kill you, but I wouldn't risk it.

Is the question about adding a strongman thing or does it pertain to the rest of the post?

If you did a strongman or conditioning stint on saturdays it might not kill you, but I wouldn't risk it.

The question was if adding the strongman workout might lead to overtraining? Any advice or criticism on the rest of my routine is fine as well.

Try it and see, some people say theres no such thing as over training, just under eating.

That sounds like too much for me. You might be able to handle it, however, so it might be worth a shot. Be sure to eat plenty, rest up, and do your deloads, though.

Wow... it's actually a shock to open one of these threads and find that it isn't a "Hi! I want to get massive gunzors by doing curls and bodyweight routines for my martial arts, can someone point me to an expensive, ineffective routine on another website that I can follow exactly without having to think for myself?" type of post.

Let us know how it goes, TS!

Wow... it's actually a shock to open one of these threads and find that it isn't a "Hi! I want to get massive gunzors by doing curls and bodyweight routines for my martial arts, can someone point me to an expensive, ineffective routine on another website that I can follow exactly without having to think for myself?" type of post.

Let us know how it goes, TS!

Will do! yeah i've been amazed by some of the posts i've seen on here.

Maybe switch monday and thursday? I can barely move the day after heavy deadlifts, not to mention powerclean.

Try it out and see how it works. If you feel like you are overtraining, you can lower the strongman on Sat, or maybe alternate strongman and powercleans.

I think what i've come up now sounds better..in my head at least.
monday-deadlift, bench press
tuesday-rest
wednesday-rest
Thursday-Military Press, Squats
Friday-rest
Saturday-Power clean, strongman training
Sunday-rest.

This will give me a day rest before and after my saturday workout and should allow proper recovery. What do ya'll think about that?

Back