1. Come join Sherdog.com writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos for our live video chat series titled "The Trenches," LIVE NOW, Click Here!

Critique my video

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by tylerL, Jul 29, 2010.

1. tylerL

tylerL White Belt

Hi everyone. I just recently started training BJJ and I decided to roll against my brother (who also just started training). We were just trying to have some fun, but please tell me what I could improve on. Remember, I just started training, so please go easy on me.

YouTube - Grappling Match

2. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

When you go for a triangle, hook the leg near you and make a perpendicular angle so you can use your stronger muscles to choke him out and to prevent him from slamming you.

When you use a kneebar, keep both hands on the back of the ankle and pull towards you. This is so you can maintain control of his leg so he can't move it. also make sure to squeeze your legs tight together.

3. tylerL

tylerL White Belt

Thanks for the feedback, Ill do that

4. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

here's a good video on finishing the triangle angle:

5. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Here's two videos by Stephan Kesting on common kneebar errors and triangle choke errors:

Also be careful with leglocks, some are dangerous and can hurt you bad enough that you don't feel anything until your leg gets damaged.

6. tylerL

tylerL White Belt

Thanks alot for those videos, thats some pretty helpful information

7. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

Dad - "What the hell happened to my TV?!?!?"

You - "We were having a grappling match dad."

Dad - *kneebars you*

8. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Not a problem, bro. Check the rest of Stephan's videos too for good helpful info

9. tylerL

tylerL White Belt

Is his youtube channel just his name?

10. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Yup

YouTube - StephanKesting's Channel

Don't attempt to remember or learn too many techniques at once even though it's tempting. Just focus on one or two and when you have them you can move on and try them rolling. Then tweak them to work for you, then learn more.

11. Redwards

Redwards Orange Belt

How long have you been training for? Just wondering because you have videos up on how to do techniques.

12. DeadAim713

DeadAim713 Blue Belt

IMO, I wouldn't be doing any leglocks being brand new. Just a little too much pressure and... POP, you're brother knee is broken. Leglocks are nothing to mess with.

13. tylerL

tylerL White Belt

Thanks for all the tips everyone

14. grafik

grafik Yellow Belt

i was wondering the same thing.

also it seems like a pretty bad idea for kids to be rolling unsupervised in the living room like that.

15. FREAK656

FREAK656 Yellow Belt

It's not that I'm bashing you because if I could I would set up a mat anywhere possible, but you need to move that shit into the back yard or something, trust me rolling in the living room is bad news. You should take a few more classes before you start rolling at home, When you're more comfortable with it theirs a lower risk of injury especially if you're going to be doing knee bars.

as far as critiquing you, you're doing well for just starting out(more in depth stuff has already been posted) but it'll be quite a while before you really need other people to help to get better, just go to the gym as often as possible, train as much as you can, then ask us to critique the video of you winning your first tournament. :icon_chee

16. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

You need to go to a real grappling school. Please don't do any tutorials on the "rolling knee bar" or anything else. It's cool you have an interest in grappling, but honestly you would get crushed by most 2 month white belts. Where in Michigan are you located?

17. sandmann

sandmann Orange Belt

So you plan on making a tutorial on how to do a kneebar and that was the first time you have ever done one? Please leave the teaching to those who are qualified.

18. Redwards

Redwards Orange Belt

Yea, I just noticed that he is subscribed to sub101/trainfightwin so I guess that is where he is learning from.....

The living room really is a bad idea especially with a wood floor. That mat is really way too small to even grappling on. Not to mention you could easily take out the TV or bust your head open on something around the room.

19. Hades666

Hades666 Banned Banned

ur not bad for a beginner, nice sweep in the beginning, ill add that when you had the mount and you brought your leg up to go for the triangle, practice doing the same thing but try to minimize the space you give your opponent while keeping your weight as heavy as possible on his chest, it was a nice setup though just make everything tighter, which will come with practice and rolling against people better than u

oh and i think it's cool u have the balls to show yourself as a beginner to all of us, grappling forum isnt as bad but dont ever post vids of yourself in the heavies, haha

20. tylerL

tylerL White Belt

OK I do go to a grappling school, so idk why ur saying I dont. And ya I see what ur saying about not rolling in the living room, that was a dumb move lol. And I make tutorials on youtube just for fun, and its not like they are advanced techniques, AND I wasnt even trying my hardest in the video. I was just messing around. So stop saying I dont actually train at a gym when you have no idea whether I do/dont.