Critique my technique

grrthetree

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
This isn't the best video I could have made, but I wanted to test my new camera. I worked the heavy bag a little bit, the kicks and knees weren't serious, I didn't want to throw them for real because the floor was wet, and I didn't want to slip and fall on concrete. I didn't use gloves.
Any advice on technique and ways to improve myself.

PS I don't go to a school, I train by myself with no instructors.

YouTube - working the heavy bag

I'll post some more videos to show how I actually hit the bag, and a 3 minute boxing round of the Bas Rutten workout CD's.

2 main points.

1. you bring your hands back way to slow to your chin after you punch, will get ktfo that way

2. get a real place to train, and your form will be fixed

It's not that simple, I just turned 16, won't be able to drive until september legally, then money for the car, gas, and whatever school. There aren't even any real schools nearby.

you should really get some gloves man. also what i saw was at about 14 secs into it you throw a jab and a right straight and you drop your right hand after you throw the left. and this happens a lot more often later with your 1 2s. dont let these guys stop you from exercising but be aware of the problems you are making.

wow. there are som many mistakes you are making. you punches don't really look like they are thrown in a straight line and it kinda looks like you are throwing them from the hip. On your cross you are putting way too much weight on your front foot and look way off balance. Instead of pivoting it looks like you are more leaning forward unloading your rear foot. You are throwing what look like are supposed to be body shots without changing your level. Et Cetera. Seriously, find a real gym or you're probably gonna learn a bunch of stuff that will be hard to unlearn. Oh and put on some freakin handwraps and gloves.

wow. there are som many mistakes you are making. you punches don't really look like they are thrown in a straight line and it kinda looks like you are throwing them from the hip. On your cross you are putting way too much weight on your front foot and look way off balance. Instead of pivoting it looks like you are more leaning forward unloading your rear foot. You are throwing what look like are supposed to be body shots without changing your level. Et Cetera. Seriously, find a real gym or you're probably gonna learn a bunch of stuff that will be hard to unlearn. Oh and put on some freakin handwraps and gloves.

yeah, do it for too long and it's bad. bad habits are harder to fix then if you had no pre conceived notions about it. "how can your cup be filled if it is already full?" jackie chan forbidden kingdom.

what city do you live in man?

are you a fan of marco antonio barrerra? because you seem to throw that hybrid left hook/uppercut that he throws everytime bas says "left hook"

here's my advice-do the best you can to find a boxing gym, a real boxing gym there's kids as young as 8 who train in boxing so make an effort

those bas rutten tapes and hitting that heavy bag are giving you tons of horrible habits that would take a long time to fix

Someone in a previous 'critique my...' thread made a comment along the lines of 'why bother asking for a critique on your skills if you really don't have any fundamental basis'.

Most of your stuff is plain wrong. It's pretty obvious you've never been gym trained. It's impossible to critique your style because you don't actually have a high enough level that any critique would be valuable.

The main critique would be: not going to a gym will leave you producing videos like this.

It's not that simple, I just turned 16, won't be able to drive until september legally, then money for the car, gas, and whatever school. There aren't even any real schools nearby.

No shit! I am gainfully employed and still have a hard time paying for this stuff! Try to find a boxing gym (usually less expensive). If not, find a friend/neighbor/family....etc that has trained before (preferally with alot of experience) and just get down the basics! I.E: Jab, Cross (1-2) and low roundhouse....... Once you get someone to just show you how to properly do these 3 things CORRECTLY!....... pratice them relentlessly until you wake up jabing and crossing your way to the shower without thinking about it, use variations and put together combos....... Also, if your going to buy videos to use to train, consider those for footwork drills and conditioning. Even if done incorrectly they still serve a usefull purpose!

Even just a few months somewhere can help give you a better base to practice on your own if in that time you can learn better for form relatively quickly. Good luck man.

Back