Critique my stand up please.

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Ton, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Ton

Ton The master of Potato Plata

i'm the white guy =O
    YouTube - Kickboxing sparring session
    was tired as hell for this video but its all i got, critique and advice are both greatly appreciated. ~1 year MMA practice, however most of it is grappling.

EDIT: i apologize for making more then 1 topic, i was not aware it needed mod approval, and the topics i created were frozen, i was under impression that they didn't go through.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. djason1988

djason1988 Brown Belt

Keep your hands up, they hovered well below your head. Stay lighter on your feet, the plodding steps seriously telegraph your moves. On the same note, don't sway unless your dodging, otherwise you'll get cracked. Kicks need severe work; slow, weak, and no control behind them. Also you dropped your hands even more every time you threw one. Try not to shell up when on defense (again stay light on your feet, it'll help you to move out).

That should give you a little to work on. Also, I'm a martial arts instructor with 17 years in, so I'm not bs'ing you.

3. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

Sometimes when you're circling your footwork is a bit weird. Look around 27-30 second mark of the clip, when you're moving towards the camera. Compare it to the way the other guy circles I guess. As stated above, your footwork telegraphs a lot of what you do.

The kicks do need a lot of work. I'm not sure what they're like when you're hitting pads/bag and aren't tired. Sometimes people can be excellent at kicking, or punching for that matter, the pads/mitts etc, but in actual sparring it falls apart. Assess your kicks. Concentrate on your technique when sparring. Do light technical sparring concentrating on technique, so eventually you wont need to think about it when you're tired and sparring more heavily.

Don't be disheartened at all. Everyone needs a lot of practice. It's easy to criticise the the technique of most striking UFC fighters in the later rounds too.

4. SUBfighterIL

SUBfighterIL Blue Belt

Put some weight and hip when you kick, set up kicks with punches.
    When he throws dont lean your head back, tuck your chin and throw back.
    The main problem is your focus and footwork, also try pushing him around too dont just let him take center ring and make your circle around, that looks like its making you tired.

5. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

Your footwork and kicks need alot of work.
    Also, you keep bobbing your head toward your opponents power side....nasty nasty habit.

p.s. Keep on training!

6. xxMarcosxx

xxMarcosxx White Belt

This is good advice.

Once you got tired you didn't step forward with your jab and it was easy for him to come forward. Also I think you are way too squared and that makes you an easy target, especially when you move sideways. What I liked was that you took his shots and kept on going.

7. PreludeMTL

PreludeMTL Green Belt

Not bad, with one year MMA training....which means you haven't only focused on striking.

Definitely the hands up higher...might fly in MMA though...but pure stand up, should be up...I pulled that round 3 today and paid for it lol.

Just keep it up, the more sparring you do, the better it will get.

8. Lion Killer

Lion Killer White Belt

From what I've seen it looks like you're not throwing enough jabs or punches to deter your opponent from coming in. It looks like your opponent can maintain pressure and wade in because you're too conservative with your punches.

9. The Disciple**

The Disciple** Banned Banned

cant see it here ill wait later to critique

10. WALKERmma

WALKERmma Yellow Belt

bit sloppy probz because u were tired anyway keep your hands up and comit more to your strikes like kicks you pull out of to many try throwing hooks ad combos

u look very tired so post another vid and send it me

thanks

11. jerunk

jerunk Orange Belt

1) Lots of unnecessary movement both in the hands and the feet.

2) Footwork and stance... work on this, a lot. You have very awkward footwork and at times an extremely week stance. Learn to recover your stance better after throwing a kick or punch.

3) Not committing to techniques or being tentative.

4) Poor knowledge of range.

5) Keep those fucking hands up. You must be getting a lot of titty twisters in sparring because all I see you protecting is your chest. Also when you kick your lead hand doesn't do much while your rear hand swings to your hips, very very bad habit.

12. TheHegemon1

TheHegemon1 Guiding my fate

Not much to add but I would say you should commit more, could be because you're tired though. We have the same shin/instep guards haha, I love em.

13. Zerocrew1984

Zerocrew1984 Banned Banned

Nice world of warcraft video on your youtube. Lulz.

14. Ton

Ton The master of Potato Plata

haha yeah, i gave that up in favor of a better hobby.

thanks to all for comments and advice, its alot to take in but ill definetally take the critique to heart and keep things said here in mind next time i spar.

15. BWC

BWC Purple Belt

Granted I'm no expert but both you guys have your hands at your chest. Your opponent also sticks his chin way out there. Someone who knows what they're doing is going to knock your opponent clean out someday. Your stuff is ssssssllllllllllooooooowww. I'd work on much crisper punches and kicks because you're not going to land many of those right now. A lot of bouncing on your legs. I'm not sure if that's supposedly giving you rhythm but I'd work on more focused movements sliding your feet not bouncing. Check kicks. Keep him off you with teeps and jabs. Follow those up with attacks WITH YOUR CHiN TUCKED. Remember you can attack his entire body, not just his head. Work the bag and pads A LOT more. When working the bags and pads, ALWAYS keep your hands up and your chin tucked. I like to put a racquetball under my chin when practicing and I hold it against my chest to develop a good habit with my chin. Try practicing with your gloves touching your cheeks so you can feel those high hands. Don't roll the jab (a bunch of little flicks with your jab hand), instead bring it straight back and out like it's on a string. Develop some combos. Sorry for writing so much. LOL..