1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Critique my sparring

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by James Smith, Sep 24, 2013.

1. orion78 Orange Belt

Hey man good stuff. By the way where do you train out of, you look like someone that would be fun to spar.

That said, and knowing your hand is an issue (that can change a spar session big time), I'd say just experiment with a traditional kickboxing front stance just to learn its strengths (what it can set up) and weaknesses. You fight from the side a lot and while its not inherently bad, it makes it a little more difficult to flawless execute a lot of different kicks, and kick+punch combinations. You'll also be able to flawlessly transition through the two making it harder to read you in a fight if you learn both.

Also read this http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Jeet-Kune-Bruce-Lee/dp/0897500482

It will hopefully open up your mind to more about engagement, distancing and feinting, all of which I think you could benefit from (and pretty much anyone).

The last tip is if you fighting the way you do, you've found out by now or have experienced that kickboxers will target your lead leg since the general advice for someone in that stance of yours is target leg since its harder for you to check (which is true), but knowing this you can easily set them up with a pull back of the leg as they attack it into a side kick to the mid section or hip.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  2. infinityaw2002 White Belt

You look pretty good for someone that looks like they started striking recently...
    The reason I can tell is not because of your technique but because of your jitters.. Not that you are nervous.. but you look anxious not totally relaxed yet... Keep training technique looks good and experience to fix the little things...

Try to lengthen your punches they look a little short and held back.. that will also give you better distance over all and fix your chin coming up...

3. PirateTetra Brown Belt

Love the pants, got a pair myself!

4. jensen34 Orange Belt

Not bad and a guy mentioned it before, but the main thing that stood out to me was excessive movement, forcing yourself to close too much distance due to poor ranging. Try to work on staying just out of range instead of going overboard and wasting energy.

Also would like to see you working on more counters.

Good job, keep it up.

5. FuNomad White Belt

My critique is of the camera man. Hold the phone/camera horizontally next time. It will give us a much better picture.

6. James Smith Amateur Fighter

I have actually been doing striking for a little over 2 years but I picked it up very slow, I wasnt a natural at all. Plus when I first started the jitters were much worse I would turn away or close my eyes at almost any strike coming towards me. I personally feel I have come a very long way. And I busy to take allot of breaks but I have been very dedicated sense April.

Thanks man much appreciated, I'm in the Miami area and i wouldn't mind if you aren't super far.

7. orion78 Orange Belt

Ah, I'm in Boston, to bad.

8. Phlog Dad Belt

The tighter the pants the more the win. I win money betting on amateurs with that logic.

Your defence goes to shit when you attack, head high and central not moving and hands down by ya side. Tile exercise? Get us used to putting the body into them punches and your head being off center n covered by shoulder and other hand.

9. Kaioken x 10 Brown Belt

You have decent technique. You seem very well coordinated and balanced, so that's good. I would say, settle down a little bit, don't be so jumpy.

The main thing I would say is don't try to hit your opponent with your first strike if they're the type of person to back up when you attack (as this guy was, and most lower-weightclass guys will be). Instead, set your attacks up with a double or triple-jab. And then once they've backed up from your initial entrance into range with the jab and are on their back foot, you'll be in much better position for your harder strikes to land (especially in a small ring with only 3 or 4 ft of room to back up). Feints will also help to set up strikes.

So, when you're on the heavy/thai bag, instead of practicing punching/kicking the bag right in front of it, begin a few steps away and practice footwork for setting up the strike. Double jab the air while moving forward and then connect with a solid kick.

Another basic tip I can say without getting too much into technical stuff is, as a southpaw, if you're going to lean back from a jab (not the best idea, but sometimes you can't help it) - when the right straight/hook comes afterward, you're not going to have anywhere else to go, so you're going to have to duck the right hand if you see it coming. Be sure you're not ducking into a kick, however. I would recommend keeping your left hand on your cheek as you duck/slip left.