Critique my sparring

Everyone's mentioned it but it bears repeating.

You need to spend time actually training your fundamentals, without sparring or anything of the sort. The time you spent filming this should be spent in from of a mirror doing footwork drills, doing technique only drills. Upload those and get the feedback on that. When you start getting mostly good feedback on your footwork and technique drills then worry about filming sparring sessions.

Walk before you run, grasshopper! :)

Of course, the best thing is...get a coach and real training.

If you're referring to the video you uploaded, if that guy is unbalancing you that's just further proof that your fundamentals are poor, especially considering you have a judo background.

And yes, it's bad to reach for punches when you block. Parrying and slipping punches don't require you to abandon a tight defensive posture which reaching does. Use control of range to increase your time to respond to punches and thus reduce your need to rely on a reaching mindset.

Listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about from the few posts i've read of his. Practice your footwork and structure in front of a mirror with shadow boxing before you do anything else. You can find out the forms and stuff easily enough with a simple google search and a youtube video(if you're not a total moron). Once you have the form/structure right, then start doing single perfect form strikes on a bag(like single jabs, single crosses, single hooks). Once you're comfortable and your body is used to doing those motions, start throwing combo's and moving the bag around. Only after you are comfortable with all that, THEN spar. I suggest you also do some work on upper body strength(pushups and knuckle pushups should be all you need) if you feel you need it(ie to do good lead hooks and stuff like that).

For additional speed/accuracy training, i suggest you get a top and bottom ball. They are pretty awesome.

just going to get right to it:

1. first of all, most gym's spar at about 40% of full force. meaning you throw punches with a little under half your full power. you guys look like you're going 5%-10%. that is light, light sparring.

2. you move in and out a lot, if you're gonna dance around like that you need to move around your opponent in a circular motion-- attack in angles. also, you hop in, throw a punch or two, and hop out. that's not how it works.

3. fighting the way you fight, you need a jab. you have no jab. that is your tool for closing distance. and i rarely ever move out and away from my opponent (which you do about every 5 secs) after a flurry-- that's how you get stuck hard. instead sidestep and keep punching. or jab and draw him into your lead as you move backwards.

4. your guard is laughable. the few times you did throw a jab, there's no snap back and i guarantee you if you do end up going to a real gym and really training, you will get laid out on day one for this. i was doing the same shit my first muay thai class and i got stuck hard as shit. from that point on for the rest of the class i was made to do heavy bag work until i learned to keep my lead hand where it needs to be-- protecting that chin and jaw, son.

I can tell you've taken TKD or Karate as a kid. Stop parrying punches until you learn how to keep your guard correctly. you also need to develop your punching technique way more. i never see people parry without throwing something afterwards, at least a straight.

one more thing about your defense (or lack thereof) for some reason you keep dropping down lower and sticking your head out as if to say to your friend, "yo, dude...stick me!" i know you're trying to draw him in. i also saw you try some body jabs and fail, but its not just that. you might be too quick for your friend in the video, but you go to a real gym and at first everyone there will be faster than you and in better condition. one lead hook or uppercut with your chin (at 40% even) sitting out like that-- it's ass to the mat.

ANYWAYS...to end on a positive note, I like your footwork and head movement. you also seem to have great awareness in the fight, which is all you really need to be a successful martial artist-- no matter boxing or otherwise. you just need to utilize angles more. and also, find some combos that work for you. check out some meldrick taylor, some tommy hearns, some ray leonard, and some felix trinidad for ideas. you need some tyson too, cause your homeboy was killing you with the infighting.

we all like Muhammad Ali, and his style is imprinted in the back of all our heads. but don't try and fight just like him. his style was unorthodox, organic, and had it's gaps that were exploited but what made him the greatest was his dedication, persistence, and originality. you need to find your own groove to be great like him.

you've got age in your advantage, too. if i were you (and really serious) i'd get in that gym now.

Click this, read it, and learn some defense from those diagrams - Wikipedia

In short...go and learn the fundamentals, then get better from there. I would bet money that all the folks just giving you the one-liner "you suck" have probably never sparred or fought in their lives. Either that or they are just assholes.

Though the video you presented didn't really give a clue as to how you'd do in a pressured match or fight, it did provide enough to see that you've got some obvious natural attributes that will lend well to martial arts. All you really need is the legit training to take advantage of those attributes.

1. Congrats to you both for actually sparring (even if it was incredibly light).
2. Find a boxing gym asap and hone your skills.

Now its asshole time....

You both suck at defense
Neither of you keep your hands up enough
Niether of you can throw a jab
Niether of you knows how to punch or block or step to the side

All in all, go to a boxing gym. You're young so now is the absolute best time to start.
Good luck! :icon_chee

Congrats to you both for actually sparring (even if it was incredibly light)....All in all, go to a boxing gym. You're young so now is the absolute best time to start. Good luck! :icon_chee

Joe Henle?! is that you, brah?! lol

This is probably a better question to ask a coach, but I'm going to ask here too.
What is "proper distance" in boxing? I know that factors like reach, speed, and awareness, and skill level all influence proper distance. I know that it can be different from individual to individual.
For instance, I'm aware that in other sports you generally want to maintain a distance where the opponent has to step in to hit you (especially if THEY are initiating the attack). Assuming you are godly fast, I guess you could stay at the middle distance indefinitely.

I ask because, as you all know, my boxing coordination is lacking. I feel uncomfortable having to step in and punch simultaneosly. It feels weak when I do so.

Ok Kid, to answer your question, you basically develop a good jab you can trust, and use that punch to gauge your distance from your opponent. when throwing the punch becomes natural, you can tell exactly how much reach (or lack of reach) you have on your opponent.

105px-Jab7.jpg

this diagram shows the basic jab. notice how his lead arm is fully extended, with the shoulder positioned in a shrug like motion in order to guard that side of the face when you punch. you want to make sure to turn your fist over at the very last second-- no matter what your main goal is to snap the punch aiming a couple inches into your opponent as opposed to just barely meeting the surface of his face. the right hand stays up and gets ready for this..

105px-Drop5.jpg

jabs are basically used like two rams butting heads to see who is the toughest. you both are trying to figure out and get a feel for each other in the fight and gauge your distance. so basically at this point you want to use footwork to catch your opponent at bad angles (which would be easy with your friend because he crosses his legs and switches stances so much)...or you can..

105px-Slip2.jpg
bob and
105px-Slip1.jpg
slip the difference between them is; bobbing involves dropping/shifting your weight where as slipping uses mainly head movement and is much more subtle

You can't just never have trained and then post a video of you "sparring" and expect to get positive feedback, that is playing around with your friend not sparring. But it's not like you can't learn to fight for real, if you train

This is probably a better question to ask a coach, but I'm going to ask here too.
What is "proper distance" in boxing? I know that factors like reach, speed, and awareness, and skill level all influence proper distance. I know that it can be different from individual to individual.
For instance, I'm aware that in other sports you generally want to maintain a distance where the opponent has to step in to hit you (especially if THEY are initiating the attack). Assuming you are godly fast, I guess you could stay at the middle distance indefinitely.

I ask because, as you all know, my boxing coordination is lacking. I feel uncomfortable having to step in and punch simultaneosly. It feels weak when I do so.

I'll leave a boxing specific answer to the boxers and pass on what knowledge I think is applicable.

Proper distance, or control of range, is very much personal. I guess the simplest answer is the range from which you can most comfortably defend yourself or intiate your own attack. For some guys it's pretty close, for others it's outside kicking range, like you already stated - it varies based on your personal skill set (which you still need to develop). It's going to change as the fight goes on, depending on what you're trying to do and what he's trying to do. Pressuring a guy requires a different type of range than drawing him after you for a counter.

The thing to remember is that proper distance is fluid and that it is controlled by your feet. Surprise!! - we're back to footwork, lol.

As far as stepping and punching goes, I'll say what I always say to boxing related questions: Search for posts by a guy named Sinister in this forum. Wealth of great information.

1. Stop looking away from your opponent. (that's your biggest problem)

2. Keep your hands up. (dropped them a few times)

3. Stop throwing power punches at ridiculous times.

It's impossible to really critique you on this video. I would recommended that you go to a boxing Gym, and actually spar a little bit harder.

both guys have potential, jut keep it up anybody can learn if they train hard enough. If it's something you really want to do then go for it and dedicate yourself and you'll get better.

It's impossible to really critique you on this video. I would recommended that you go to a boxing Gym, and actually spar a little bit harder.

basically as you know this...hopefully the info we've been posting has helped?

the main goal is to give you some basis before you go to the gym and get hit hard without seeing it coming when they test what youre made of...good luck tho

Hey, I leave for Japan in a month (for one year). So I'll have to search for a gym then. Should be relatively easy.

If you have never trained boxing before, I do see potential. With that said, IMHO, it is really premature to get into the technical aspects of where I see potential, and what I see you doing just plain wrong. My suggestion to you is, get some professional instruction as soon as possible. Picking up bad habits and poor technique is going to be difficult to break, once it becomes habit.

:icon_chee

Does sparring the heavybag (and shadowboxing) help to workout the footwork necessary to get into range to throw hooks and uppercuts without getting hit.
Basically, what are some good ways to integrate slipping and weaving into footwork while moving forward. I feel like I have to rush in to throw hard hooks and uppercuts

You should get some proper equipment. Thats my advice.

You seem to have natural talent, I'd say you go far if you got into some training.

Does sparring the heavybag (and shadowboxing) help to workout the footwork necessary to get into range to throw hooks and uppercuts without getting hit.
Basically, what are some good ways to integrate slipping and weaving into footwork while moving forward. I feel like I have to rush in to throw hard hooks and uppercuts

Don't compromise your structure. Just learn how to shuffle first and proper footwork by itself first, then incorporate slipping and weaving(without compromising your structure), and finally, add the punch to it. Do this until it becomes second nature. If you're rushing in blindly and off balance, you aren't doing it properly(you won't be able to defend/dodge properly, and you won't be able to generate power).

Back