Critique my sparring

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Jirugi, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Jirugi

Jirugi White Belt

FIRST, I've never trained boxing, but I intend to start soon.
    That said, feel free to give honest feedback. I welcome it.
    Rip me up, sherdog
    I'm the one w/ the black gloves
    YouTube - 002.AVI

2. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

Post a vid of yourself in full head protection going fully at it instead of just you and your buddy fooling around in the backyard. Seriously go to a gym that was almost un-watchable.

Besides that from what I saw you have potential and receiving regular boxing training would do wonders for you.

3. Jirugi

Jirugi White Belt

2 more months and I'll be able to.
    Thanks for the input

4. keeshen1

keeshen1 Yellow Belt

Both guys sucks.

5. WORLDBEATER

WORLDBEATER Purple Belt

Wow this thread was a mistake/Troll. I'm going to check on this later and see what happened.

Never mind same Youtube Name as account name.

6. Hendo89

Hendo89 Purple Belt

Please help Awid!

Hey, I live in Melbourne, Australia i am starting the move towards amatuer MMA competition, i have no experience, just joined a BJJ/Muay Thai Dojo my regieme will be as follows for the first 3 months.

Week 1-3 (Daily)
    50 pushups upon waking and before bed
    80 situps upon waking and before bed
    10 minutes skipping
    90 minute extreme stretching before bed (i stretch all the time no matter whats happening but dedicated time, i am very unflexible at 6,2" i cant get near a half lotus and this neds to change)
    light bagwork daily
    at least 3 litres of water.
    Weekly
    (3 times) BJJ
    (twice a week) 20 minute run

Week 4-8
    60 pushups upon waking and before bed
    100 situps upon waking and before bed
    Same fluid and stretching
    Same skipping
    10 minutes of Floor to Ceiling daily
    move to 4 classes per week
    25 minute runs 3 times per week

Week 9-13
    25 minute run 4 times per week
    75 pushups upon waking and before bed (150)
    125 situps upon waking and before bed (250)
    7 classes per week (5 BJJ 2 Muay Thai)
    Same skipping, bagwork and Floor2ceiling workouts and additional fluid as needed
    1 weights session per week (or kettlebell)

i am not really unfit but not conditioned, so average i suppose i wanna have my first fight (amatuer) 1 year from when this reigeme starts. (4 days of alcohol left)

the reason i am doing more BJJ is that i already have fast hands, and i dont want to get taken down and have the shit Gnp'ed outta me in my first fight so mainly gonna be guard work.

Please guys give me advise, is this practicle? a good base? any oversights? help a newbie!

Cheers for any help you can provide.

7. Gelocoster

Gelocoster White Belt

mmmm..all i say is u got not experience ...post another video while u get lil more training..like..wth? looking the other side while receiving a hit? thats the most dangerous thing..you are open for him to do anything.

EDIT: dude..pain is temporary, pride is forever. take the hit, look at it, dont feel it, i guess thats a lesson

8. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Youre terrible.
    Get to a boxing gym, asap.

That's the only advice i can give you. Im not trying to be a dick or flame, but youre just not good.

9. RyanR

RyanR Black Belt

I'll bite.

First off I'll say that I guess I can see some potential, but really you won't make any progress sparring with your friends. It's good that you are interested though. The three huge things I noticed just glancing at it quickly:

1) Just about everytime you threw a cross or did something in general with your right hand you held it out there. Snap it back asap.

2) A lot of that bobbing and weaving was very unnecessary. Learn to slip punches and be ready to counter immediately.

3) Don't back straight up all the time. Only real time you seemed to circle was when you were getting near the edge of whatever that was you were sparring on or out of the clinch.

And also your friend is freaking terrible man lol. Do him a favor and take him with you to the gym. He needs it very, very badly. Hell half the time it seemed like he couldn't decide on which stance to take.

10. Jirugi

Jirugi White Belt

I appreciate the civility and honesty guys.
    When I have the oppurtunity, I'll dump myself into real training. Thanks anyway

11. keeshen1

keeshen1 Yellow Belt

Don't sweat it. At least you move better than majority of these sherdog losers on here. Sherdoggers are mostly fat asses or skinny dorks that think they know a lot but they're just a bunch of couch patatoes. They're just fans who trains in beginner BJJ classes and think they're the toughest mofos on earth. Pretty pathetic.

12. HBbadb0y

HBbadb0y Yellow Belt

You guys are just playing around. I won't flame you because nothing positive will come from it. Usually I would have a detailed explanation, but since you are new, its best to just go to the gym. For the time being, stop doing this and start focusing on other things like jump rope, jogging, sit ups, and push ups.

13. Corey Roberts

Corey Roberts Amateur Fighter

You're not ready for free sparring, you need to develop co-ordination through pad work and partner drills cause the co-ordination just isn't there yet. Don't worry it'll come though. Also in future sparring commit to your punches, you were half in half out which made it look more unco

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  14. ex0

ex0 Yellow Belt

I say learn the basics. You don't seem to know how to throw a jab or a cross or a hook.. or do a basic 1-2, or 1-2-3.

Work on these before you try to spar, and when you do spar, use them. Also, use a bag and work on your footwork and generating power with structure. You seem to have no structure or form or whatever when you throw punches or move around. There was no intention in any of those 'punches'. Now, i'm not saying you should hit through your friend, but at least make the punch look scary and then hold it before hitting him.

15. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Honestly, from a more sober mind:
    If you actually dedicate yourself to working and learning, i have no doubt you'd be good. Youve got a good build for striking, and if you get the technical aspect of it up to par, the sky's the limit.

Have you done any other sports prior?

16. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Everyone's mentioned it but it bears repeating.

You need to spend time actually training your fundamentals, without sparring or anything of the sort. The time you spent filming this should be spent in from of a mirror doing footwork drills, doing technique only drills. Upload those and get the feedback on that. When you start getting mostly good feedback on your footwork and technique drills then worry about filming sparring sessions.

Walk before you run, grasshopper! :)

Of course, the best thing is...get a coach and real training.

17. Jirugi

Jirugi White Belt

Judo and..dare I say..TKD lol

Also, is it bad to reach for punches when you block? Anytime I've thrown an actual punch when I 'sparred' I got parried and I felt unbalanced.
    That was why I wasn't really committing.

I'll get to work on bare basics and finding a gym of course

18. cholodeamor

cholodeamor White Belt

Yeah you don't want to reach for a punch to block it. If a southpaw feints his jab and you reach for it, then you are about to eat a lead hook. Of course, your boxing coach would tell you that.

19. Soul Rebel 2

Soul Rebel 2 Black Belt

You have a lot of potential, join a gym and you'll be great. In the mean time work on your conditioning until you can join a gym. Sparring without the proper experience can be very dangerous.

20. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

If you're referring to the video you uploaded, if that guy is unbalancing you that's just further proof that your fundamentals are poor, especially considering you have a judo background.

And yes, it's bad to reach for punches when you block. Parrying and slipping punches don't require you to abandon a tight defensive posture which reaching does. Use control of range to increase your time to respond to punches and thus reduce your need to rely on a reaching mindset.