Critique my breakfast shake.....does it suit my goals?

Cydewynder20

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I put this shake together based on the stuff I've read in this forum and the FAQ. Now I'd just like to see if anyone would make any significant chances to it.

For a little background info, I am an endo-mesomorph. Maintaining muscle mass is not a problem or concern for me. On the contrary, I am looking to lose about 10-15 pounds. I'm about 188 or so now, I'd like to be a healthy 180 by Memorial Day.

I'm trying to make a shake that includes all the healthy stuff I need to maximize performance, but without being excessive so that I gain weight. I am drinking two of these per day, one for breakfast, and the other for post-workout:

-- 3 cups SKIM milk
-- 1 banana
-- About 10 blueberries
-- 1 or 2 strawberries
-- 1 scoop of whey
-- 1 tablespoon of Greens powder

Should I add/subtract anything to this?

lol by memorial day.

you gonna be at the local lake for the weekend and want to look good for the girls?

If you're looking to cut weight then I would drop the milk and use water. If you do that you can some more fruit and even some peanut butter to get some more calories. In my opinion the carbs in your morning shake should be the thing you cut out, not the fats.

If you're looking to cut weight then I would drop the milk and use water. If you do that you can some more fruit and even some peanut butter to get some more calories. In my opinion the carbs in your morning shake should be the thing you cut out, not the fats.

Ok so I can cut out milk for the breakfast shake.

Should I leave it in for the post-workout shake, though?

I love milk PWO and I think I remember seeing some threads on here saying the same thing.

Ok so I can cut out milk for the breakfast shake.

Should I leave it in for the post-workout shake, though?

First of all I would just intake one shake PWO and actually eat food for breakfast. But if you are bent on having a shake for breakfast then make sure its casein whey and eliminate the banana and eat some kind of green fibrous vegetable. You said you are endo-mesomorph and maintaining muscle mass is not a problem or concern. If thats the case then don't worry about being over cautious of burning up all your muscle. You don't have a lot of time to screw around if your trying to make a memorial day cut.

Second of all if you're trying to cut 10-15 lbs in a month then I would cut the milk out completely.

^^^ Good catch. I can't believe I forgot to mention a vegetable.

I blend spinach in my shake every morning.

I don't taste it at all since I have fruit, peanut butter and chocolate flavored whey mixed in with it.

throw some frozen spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower in there. you cant even taste the veggies with the berries in there. also, wheres the fat? post workout you dont need it, but for breakfast id throw some milled flax, coconut, fish oil, walnuts, etc... in there.

also, try adding some canned pumpkin if you have a taste for it. extra fiber, virtually no carbs, natural source of zinc, and quite tasty.

also, try adding some canned pumpkin if you have a taste for it. extra fiber, virtually no carbs, natural source of zinc, and quite tasty.

I've never heard of that. Has anyone else tried that?

If I were you I would have food in the morning and the shake for dinner to maximize muscle retention and fat loss, but whatever floats your boat.

i got it from a recent article on t-nation. he mentioned how overlooked pumpkin is and mentioned the natural zinc content, and i thought "that would be good in a shake" it gives the shake a thicker texture, and its pretty mild in taste. i dont go crazy with it, just a big spoonful per shake. i like adding as much whole foods as i can to shakes. i throw half the frozen produce section of a supermarket in when the blender comes out.

Back