1. Server maintenance is scheduled for today between 11AM and 2PM ET. The site will go down for 15-20 mins. We'll try to get it done before noon.

Critique my bagwork

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by MixMartialFarts, Jul 17, 2020.

1. MixMartialFarts Butters Belt

Sorry for the solar eclipse going on in my basement

2. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

I dunno if its the vid, but it looks like often you're so raised up on your rear that you're not really pushing off it, almost like its floating and hovering slightly above the floor while you're too forward heavy. If its not just camera work and angles throwing me off, it's going to affect your balance and power.

Try to mimic sparring/fighting, after you throw those single shot crosses, then get out or pivot, or shell up, whatever. Just don't hang there right in range to get hit, because you will get hit from there.

You do more "in and out" movement and strikes, but not so much lateral, work on that as well

When you work and the bag moves to one end, instead of just moving backwards as it comes to you, try using that opportunity to work on pivoting, angles, etc. it will serve you better in the long term than always just backing up

Good stuff though, overhands look firm

MixMartialFarts and Skarr like this.
  3. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Very good. Like @j123 wrote, you are punching too high up on your feet. No reason to do so, every reason not to. It's good to be light on your feet but that’s overdoing it. There are boxers who punch from their toes (Ali), but they were never heavy punchers...

So you can keep it but I advice against it. Get some more grounding.

MixMartialFarts likes this.
  4. SandaKicker Green Belt

Nice! Looks like you have some hand speed.

MixMartialFarts likes this.
  5. FadeLess Silver Belt

i really like your cross, nice form, speed and snap.

6. Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

I like your punches. Dont do that spinning elbow

RoyalTS likes this.
  7. MixMartialFarts Butters Belt

Haha yea the spinning elbow is pretty pathetic, i was trying something new

Frode Falch likes this.
  8. biscuitsbrah Red Belt

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Minowafanatic likes this.
  9. shincheckin Black Belt

not bad, and better than the majority of people on the forum as well.

nothing stands out as majorly wrong, not much correction or improvement is going to get done online through comments.

The only thing that stood out to me was your half assed spinning back elbows/fists. Your distance/timing was off very bad. if your gonna practice them, do it correctly.

10. smooth assassin Brown Belt

Looks good, in time you will be much more fluid
    You might want to slow down on the body shots for a little while to make sure you get the hip swing more complete, but that also comes with more practice

11. MixMartialFarts Butters Belt

Haha yea I dont even know how to do those correctly. I dont usially practise those especially on the bag I kinda forgot I had 3 shitty attempts in this video before i uploaded it.

shincheckin likes this.
  12. shincheckin Black Belt

you dont look bad on the bag.....where do you train? how long? and what, MMA? MT? Boxing? etc.

spinning elbow/backfist technique..........jab the guy on the left side of his face, forcing him to move to his right, walking directly into your spinning attack. i taught myself and used in a fight the jumping double kick for example. once you get to a certain skill level, I think its much easier to feel when you are doing something correctly or not or to catch your own mistakes. its always easier from the outside looking in though, so watching yourself train, bag, pads, spar, fight, is all good ways to see what your doing wrong and work on it.

In the beginning, the majority of things require 1 on 1 hands on instruction/coaching.....once you get to a high level, you can learn and teach yourself quite a bit from videos, or tips/advice you get online/forums etc. for example, i taught myself and used in a fight the jumping

13. MixMartialFarts Butters Belt

I've been training MMA off and on since 2008. I've had 13 pro mma fights so I have a decent amount of experince I've just never done a whole lot of bagwork. That might sound strange to some but for whatever reason the MMA gyms I've been at just didnt really put much focus on hitting the bag. I just bought one during covid and started using it often since the gyms have been closed.

shincheckin likes this.
  14. listrahtes Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Looks like a good power development in the punches.

15. shincheckin Black Belt

nice, so your not a nooob, been doing it a while and got some good experience and fights...nice dude. I think I have seen you post on here before but I didnt know you were an MMA fighter...nice as we dont have a whole lot of fighters on the forums.

It does sound really strange not doing bag work much, specifically with a pro fight record.....where are you located and what promotions did you fight under?

Now that you have a bag, work it regularly, I am sure you will notice the benefits from it like strenght conditioning and technique. Shin conditioning being one too! how did you get your shins 1conditioned without bagwork?

16. StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

You should get rid of the habit of loading up by moving both fists up and down before punching. It makes you predictable.

17. MixMartialFarts Butters Belt

I'm in Alberta in Western Canada, I've only ever fought in some of the regional promotions they have out here.

The thing I noticed about bag work now that I've been doing it more is that since your training alone its easy to slack off. There's no training partner to push you so you have to hold yourself accountable and actually push yourself to work hard, which in turn helps to build mental toughness I think.

I duno how I did shin conditioning just from sparring and hitting Thai pads I guess lol. Kicking has never been a huge part of my game anyways.

shincheckin likes this.
  18. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

Not gonna try out boxing and see how you do?

19. spacetime Yellow Card Yellow Card

One thing I noticed is that you don't really seem to dig into the bag much. You hit it exclusively on on the outside. Really get in there and drive through it.

Hard to give any real power estimation they way you're doing it. Is your preferred fighting distance long range?

20. MixMartialFarts Butters Belt

Yes, I usually have the reach advantage so I try to use it. I broke my left hand 3 years ago it still gives me pain when I throw left hooks on the bag.

No...you can't go backwards and do amateur boxing after doing pro MMA. I wish I could amateur boxing tournaments would be a fun thing to try but I would have to fight pro boxing and pro boxers are a different level of punchers then MMA fighters.