1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

critic my loss at last tourny, any tips ?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by flipspeed, Jul 13, 2010.

1. flipspeed

flipspeed Yellow Belt

Ok, Here's a youtube vid of my loss @ a tournament i attended (joe moreira tourny 160 and under novice). Just looking for tips on what i could've done better maybe?
    i'm the noob in the black shirt.:icon_chee

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xjwE6l9KR-4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xjwE6l9KR-4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ok, i failed in my embed attempt, lol here's the link to youtube:
    YouTube - lost via north south choke

after watching it several times, i've seen some opportunities for a kimura maybe when he placed both hands on the mat? also, there were several moments where i turned the opposite direction while at the bottom of his half guard, practically giving my back lol. oh well, any other suggestions you think i could've done in my match here? thx in advance!

2. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

3. Ergo

Ergo Orange Belt

Biggest problem I saw was your apparent lack of comfort on bottom half. He just flipped the leg for the easy pass because you weren't controlling his "trapped" leg at all.

Also, you're going so fast that you're missing places to get up under him. Hard to get the guy swept because he's so long, you need to look to get up under his hips and attack from there.

4. LiT_WiCK

LiT_WiCK Brown Belt

when he finally got to side control you were hanging on to his head with your right arm which wasn't really doing anything... maybe you could have let go and turtled?

5. King Creatine

King Creatine Purple Belt

Prior to him moving to north/south (2:30), you turned away from him. Make sure to turn towards him.

6. ZuZitsu**

ZuZitsu** Purple Belt

You were forcing things trying to get to positions u felt more comfortable in. Apparently u like to have double unders and butterfly guard so you were trying to force getting there and u ended up having your guard passed which ultimately led to your loss.

Instead of forcing double unders and working to get to butterfly guard just work from closed guard! He was giving you head control, or head AND arm control (even rubber guard if u wanted it bc he kept putting his hands on the mat) so IMO you should take what is given to you, you arent always going to be able to get into your fav positions!

There were times you could have went for a bunch of different sweeps but you seem consumed with getting to butterfly guard. That is what u were trying to do right?

7. flipspeed

flipspeed Yellow Belt

thanks wrestleben for posting up the vid. Appreciate all the input guys, I know this is probably the worse performance posted here lol but i'm hoping i could grab some pointers to work on my game.

but yea lack of comfort is an understatement.. lol To be honest, it felt like i was just trying to survive on that match, i was totally lost and was goin on instinct (which as you can tell really stinks lol). I really need to focus and not panic too much.

Can't wait for training tonight and work on my weaknesses (which is pretty much everything lol) Thanks for all the tips.

8. Pahlavan**

Pahlavan** White Belt

deep half guard and get the sweep next time

9. johnkreese

johnkreese Brown Belt

TS, I think your explosiveness and speed are great assets, but you need to learn when to use them. I felt like you were exploding at the wrong time, and moving into your opponents strengths. If you watch him, he was pretty relaxed the whole roll. I think, with the way the guy was leaning in the beginning of the fight, you might've been able to set up a hip bump and sweep. It seemed like he was giving you a lot of space too, and his arms were flying out, which would've been perfect(like others said) for a kimura. When someone gives you a lot of space, and the strong point of you're as fast as you are, I'd like to see you stand up again. I think you would've had that takedown in the beginning if you baited your opponent better.. he was already backtracking when you shot in, which gave him more time to react. But, it was a good match, and you're flexible, have good hip movement -- good luck next time!

10. King Creatine

King Creatine Purple Belt

You're a little to modest right now man. You looked pretty solid, despite the loss. As somebody else said, you're obviously explosive. Good shot, just time it better!

11. Redwards

Redwards Orange Belt

I have a question about the N/S choke he used. How was he able to finish like that? I usually sprawl out and put my head down to finish it but he seemed to tri-pod up with it a bit.

12. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

how does everyone in here counter what's going in at around 16:?? On the boards most people seemed to agree that once top man switches his hips it's a matter of time before you get swept unless you are able to space out with a 93 before hand.

tips?

as far as the match, heck I'm with you on how to counter that hip switch pass. the takedown however as someone pointed out already was telegraphed so my advice is learn to set up your shot with a tie.

Start with the two one one, but either way, make sure you use a tie to create an angle, then shoot.

13. RacerX

RacerX Orange Belt

Good grief, they should have gagged the "ha ha ha huh ha ha" guy. I would have given up a submission just so I could leave.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010