Cris Cyborg vs Male Sparring Partner Nick Lauro Going Pretty Hard

she was mostly outclassed. she didn't get her butt kicked. he easily could have if that was his goal.

You should explain that to @CombatScience, not me.

ahhmmm...did you watch the video? all her punches hit his GLOVES, he held back but hit her when he felt like it...she's too muscled bound and stiff. I don't see how you could see something different.

Lol she got her butt kicked on this sparring video brahhhhh

You ever seen an actual hard sparring video? This one in the OP with Cyborg and the guy wasn't one.

It's almost like Sherdoggers in the heavies don't train or something.

Didnt it take more than a round? And he definitely goes 100%, and its not like the guy is a complete can even, his record was 13-1 and he looked decent. Why it took so long from him to KO a woman? I mean he is a man after all, fighting a woman. Why couldnt he just KO her with first punch. How come it looked like the fight was slightly competitive for awhile, Sherdog has told me thats impossible in a man vs woman scenario.

Well, she was probably the best female striker of all time versus a no name Thai dude. Thais also start slowly so there's that.

You ever seen an actual hard sparring video? This one in the OP with Cyborg and the guy wasn't one.

Well, she was probably the best female striker of all time versus a no name Thai dude. Thais also start slowly so there's that.

i think all of us agree that cyborg was outclassed in this video. getting butt kicked was simply a way of pointing that out in the context of light sparring. what part of what @CombatScience said that you quoted do you disagree with?

I do train, I've been in hard sparring matches before and I do agree that this wasn't one. She did get outclassed and taunted though.

They're both flat footed and just stand in front of each other.

I hate this kind of "wars of attrition" in boxing, a boxer with a sense of lateral movement eats these sort of brawlers for breakfast.
Not necessarily. I think you are being too harsh here, not every boxer has to move like Lomachenko. Attrition based fighters, volume punchers and heavy hitters have beat more mobile fighters plenty of times. Joe Louis, Canelo, Gonzalez, Duran, Fraizer, Moore, Fullmer, Chavez, Walcott, Hagler, Dempsey, Marciano the list goes on and on. Plenty of greats or ATGs were there to be hit and liked it that way. They stayed on you. Even technicians like Toney and McCallum stayed in the pocket. Toney is probably one of the greatest defensive fighter in the pocket, at his best. Watch Toney vs McCallum on youtube btw if you want to see some great boxing.

The guy in the vid is alright. Not a world beater or anything, but he's ok. Cyborg had a few moments, this is definitely the best her boxing has looked. She's always been a sloppy brawler, but she has power and she's probably one of the toughest women around.

Last edited:
The guy seems to have good defense. Cyborg showed good head movement at times though.

And yet still in terms of WMMA this is.. what ? the highest skill level we have :D you can likely count the WMMA strikes with something decent in terms of skills on one hand.

Actually, many people have been critical of Cyborg's skill. She succeeds because she competes in a wasteland of a division and through superior aggression and power.

I've never learned technique in a boxing gym, but I've been punched in the face before and know what it feels like. I've been punched in the face, I've had my head stomped on the concrete. I may cry, I may not. But I would still KO the shit out of her at any point I wanted. My balls are too big to ever lose to a woman in a fight.

Bullshit, but cool story.

Easy to tell that most of the guys posting in here are bjj practitioners. That was a good sparring session and Cyborg showed some good movements right there, both in combinatios and body movement.

You guys should watch the nick diaz sparring session or anderson silva maybe, everybody eat some punches while sparring.

Actually, many people have been critical of Cyborg's skill. She succeeds because she competes in a wasteland of a division and through superior aggression and power.

Still compared to other WMMA fighters she actually knows some shit when it comes to striking: Holly, Valentina, JJ, Cyborg and to a lesser extent fighters like KK, Nunes, that dutch lady.. they are a few but across all division not many at all.

Still compared to other WMMA fighters she actually knows some shit when it comes to striking: Holly, Valentina, JJ, Cyborg and to a lesser extent fighters like KK, Nunes, that dutch lady.. they are a few but across all division not many at all.

Yeah, agree that the level of striking in WMMA is, on average, well behind that of the men. Largely because women mostly come from a grappling base, and spend most of their career playing catch-up. And many never seem to manage it.

That being said, there are quite a few women, some of whom you mentioned, who have far superior skill. That being said, at 145 Cyborg would probably maul them too.

But witness the skill differential in striking when Cyborg fought Jorina Baars. While I have the utmost respect for Cyborg being one of the damn few fighters to compete in Muay Thai while competing in MMA - male or female - the difference in skill was staggering.

OndI5L3.gif

Not necessarily. I think you are being too harsh here, not every boxer has to move like Lomachenko. Attrition based fighters, volume punchers or heavy hitters have beat more mobile fighters plenty of times. Joe Louis, Canelo, Gonzalez, Duran, Fraizer, Moore, Fullmer, Chavez, Walcott, Hagler, Dempsey, Marciano the list goes on and on. Plenty of great or ATGs were there to be hit and liked it that way. They stayed on you. Even technicians like Toney and McCallum stayed in the pocket. Toney is probably one of the greatest defensive fighter in the pocket, at his best. Watch Toney vs McCallum on youtube btw if you want to see some great boxing.

The thing is that a basic attrition war flat footed brawler loses to boxers with lateral movement. I agree however that brawlers can beat boxers but it's usually the case of sophisticated brawlers who have adapted to the game and started employing a more complex offense. For example out of the guys you listed Duran was a master of feinting and Chavez cut the ring. Also, some brawlers just have iron chins and can walk through punches.

I have to admit that I'm pretty biased and I prefer fighters with great footwork and a lot of movement.

Since you mention Lomachenko the man is the absolute master at what I'm talking about. He's just amazing to watch. Perfect mixture of offensive and defensive footwork, that's boxing at its finest.

1470179580427353.gif

1470178639427316.gif

1470178862427386.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

threaten_center.0.gif

Yeah, agree that the level of striking in WMMA is, on average, well behind that of the men. Largely because women mostly come from a grappling base, and spend most of their career playing catch-up. And many never seem to manage it.

That being said, there are quite a few women, some of whom you mentioned, who have far superior skill. That being said, at 145 Cyborg would probably maul them too.

But witness the skill differential in striking when Cyborg fought Jorina Baars. While I have the utmost respect for Cyborg being one of the damn few fighters to compete in Muay Thai while competing in MMA - male or female - the difference in skill was staggering.

Yes of course but put in any other WMMA fighters in there and it will a lot worse then what Cyborg did.

Yea Cyborg is closer to a bully / brawler with her style but still way better then the large majority and based on her size who has a chance vs her ? Valentina was out size by Holly (Valentina is a 125 lbs fighters in my opinion) just imagine the size difference vs Cyborg so nope the only striker that can put up a fight would be Holly in full counter striker mode and even her being quite the underdog.

But that no name Thai dude was 13-1 against male fighters with 9 KOs. He had probably knocked out some of those male opponents faster than that woman. About the excuse of starting slowly, he threw wild haymakers from the start, tried to rip her head off, but failed until the second round. I thought man vs woman was supposed to be a lot more lopsided 100% of times, according to Sherdog. That was actually a relatively competitive first round, lel.

A lot of times people spar to try out new techniques new movement new strategy. Sparring is rarely an accurate interpretation of skill.

The thing is that a basic attrition war flat footed brawler loses to boxers with lateral movement. I agree however that brawlers can beat boxers but it's usually the case of sophisticated brawlers who have adapted to the game and started employing a more complex offense. For example out of the guys you listed Duran was a master of feinting and Chavez cut the ring. Also, some brawlers just have iron chins and can walk through punches.

I have to admit that I'm pretty biased and I prefer fighters with great footwork and a lot of movement.

Since you mention Lomachenko the man is the absolute master at what I'm talking about. He's just amazing to watch. Perfect mixture of offensive and defensive footwork, that's boxing at its finest.

1470179580427353.gif

1470178639427316.gif

1470178862427386.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

threaten_center.0.gif
Any basic boxer will most of the time get beat by a better boxer that is true. I like Lomachenko too don't get me wrong. He's one of my favourites right now. He has his style which is beautiful to watch, but that doesn't mean every fighter should or even can emulate it. At least not to the degree he does. Feints, ring cutting, head movement, positioning, angles, parrying, blocking, hand trapping, combinations, rhytm, timing, footwork, chin, toughness, willpower, power, volume, stamina the list goes on. There are so many factors and attributes that makes a fighter and everyone has their strong and weak points.

A good boxer/puncher with ring cutting ability will beat the pure boxer/dancer most of the time I'd say. Luckely Lomachenko is a little bit of everything. We did see what a tough veteran like Salido did to him though, but I am fairly certain Loma would beat him comfortably now.

I think atm my favourites are: Naoya Inoue, Roman Gonzales, Canelo and Lomachenko.

Yes of course but put in any other WMMA fighters in there and it will a lot worse then what Cyborg did.

Yea Cyborg is closer to a bully / brawler with her style but still way better then the large majority and based on her size who has a chance vs her ? Valentina was out size by Holly (Valentina is a 125 lbs fighters in my opinion) just imagine the size difference vs Cyborg so nope the only striker that can put up a fight would be Holly in full counter striker mode and even her being quite the underdog.

Valentina has the best skill level, IMO. JJ second.

But Cyborg? No. Gets by on power and athleticism. When faced with someone of skill but less power and less athleticism, she loses because the skill was just not there.

Her style is effective, but not particularly skilled.

No woman in the UFC can match her at 145, but that is not because she is the most skilled. Skilled enough to take advantage of her strength, power and athleticism, but the skill level is still lacking.

Back